Author Topic: The One That Got Away  (Read 534 times)

Offline solar value

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
The One That Got Away
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:12:40 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I feel I've let a couple of good machines go by lately and I thought maybe other members have had similar experiences.  It might help us all to share our regrets.  So anyone have any good stories about some pinball machines that they really should have bought but hesitated over for a little too long and missed out on?  !!!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: The One That Got Away
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 12:15:00 AM »
I did have a deal with a guy for a Gottlieb Kingpin, but he sold it to someone else out from under me - I suspect if I'd sent the cash instantly might have been different, but given we'd agreed on the sale the night before but hadn't discussed payment, that didn't seem an option. Discussed shipping ideas that night, then in the morning he posted it sold to someone else.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:19:05 PM by pinnies4me »
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 05:16:28 PM »
Pardon the french, but i hate it when u do a deal with some prick, you shake hands, then a few days later u find they sold the machine for more $ to someone else and went back on their word.   !*!  If someone does that, i say write them off and tell everyone you know that they arent a person u shld trust.
There are a few sellers up here who do that sort of crap on a regular basis. They wonder why they have a bad reputation and no one in QLD will deal with them. 

I havent had a specific machine that i have missed out on really by being too slow, but i have seen a number of titles around recently, for really really good prices, but havent had the money to spend like i did last year with a machine being purchased every fortnight. Its not a big deal, cause i know that i will find that title later for similar, if not less money.   I beieve in karma. If its meant too be, its meant too be.

There is always tomorrow and a better seller and better machine around the corner so to speak.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 06:26:34 PM »
On the other hand, I did a deal with a guy who before pick up regretted selling, carried through, then found another of the same title but cheaper, and wanted to give me some cash back to be fair!! How's that for honourable?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 08:27:26 PM »
I called someone about a machine in the paper, and I wanted to look at it straight away (it was only 5km away), but she said she was going out, so she said I had first refusal and I made a time with her at the earliest time possible in the morning. I asked her if she had any other calls and if anyone else wanted to see the machine and she said she had one other call and no-one coming around.
About 45mins later she tested me and said it was sold, apparently she gave her address to someone else without making a time to come around and he just rolled up.
Don't you hate that when someone makes a commitment and then lets you down?

Offline andrew (nob)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 09:13:01 PM »
I won a Williams Future Spa on ebay a few years ago (it was to be my second pin). The guy was obviously not happy with the winning bid so when I asked for his bank details told me that he just turned it on to verify all was ok, and the CPU chip burnt a hole in it. As Michael Shaloub confirmed with me, and anyone who's dealt with electronics for any period of time knows, this is so rare that it almost never happens.

Needless to say he never returned any of my other emails, and I ended up buying Cyclone from Michael instead.

andrew

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 10:10:05 PM »
A couple of months ago i could have had a Lethal Weapon3 as part of a restoration deal... the guy who ran the now defunct Pinball Parlor in Port Macquarie wanted me to restore an Addams Family, a Jurassic park and a Capcom Airbourne for his grandkids to play. I was tempted but decided to let it slide.

And a few weeks ago the same guy auctioned off everything he had in the pinball parlor (videos and the four pins i just mentioned) soon as i walked into the auction he offered to pull them out of the auction if i wanted to go ahead with the aforementioned deal (or if i wanted the 4 machines)!! again i declined due to lack of funds and space !!!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:11:51 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 06:25:27 PM »
I had arranged to pick up a real nice Pharaoh a few years ago.Pick up was a 1.5 hour drive,so off me and the wife go and alls good,  we are about 15 minutes away and get a phone call from one of our daughters to say the front of the house is on fire.A passing driver has seen the fire and knocked on the door to see if any one was home.We turn around and head straight home, while still talking to the bloke who stopped on the phone.Thanks to him the fire is put out but we had to make sure everything was ok so we said stuff the pin lets go home to make sure alls good.After organising the repairs to the electric wires ect,and having to work the next day i rang the guy to advise him that he could sell it to another guy who was interested.I still regret not having that machine in my collection. ^.^.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 08:14:32 PM »
My biggest one that got away was a hanking empire strikes back for $150.  Being 14 didn't have that sort of cash and my mum was to tight to lend me the cash.   Only fault the game had was a faulty left flipper...

Grrrr. Thanks MUM lol

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 10:58:17 PM »
My biggest one that got away was a hanking empire strikes back for $150.  Being 14 didn't have that sort of cash and my mum was to tight to lend me the cash.   Only fault the game had was a faulty left flipper...

Grrrr. Thanks MUM lol

Blessing in disguise mate. That game might have put you off pinball for life!

Offline pinmadd

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »
 IJ $1500,  CV $4k   JM $1500    @.@

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »

I've been thinking about this topic for a couple of days, and I honestly cannot think of a game I've wanted, that has eluded me. Maybe I pay too much  %.%, or I am just "lucky" ?

The best I can think of is an Embryon AND a Solar Fire (both out of the same collection) that I JUST missed due to bad timing.  The fact I missed BOTH games, from the same place at the same time was ironic. Both were collector's quality.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 12:16:20 AM »

I've been thinking about this topic for a couple of days, and I honestly cannot think of a game I've wanted, that has eluded me. Maybe I pay too much  %.%, or I am just "lucky" ?

Well Nino so have i !

I do however have slight regret for letting a HUO Williams Big Guns slide @ $1200 about 4 year ago as i hated its head box and i wasn't really interested in system 11's !

Like i said no big deal just slight regret.  !@)
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 10:39:18 AM »

Well Nino so have i !

I do however have slight regret for letting a HUO Williams Big Guns slide @ $1200 about 4 year ago as i hated its head box and i wasn't really interested in system 11's !

^.^

Marco, you and I both know that most Sys11 games are the BEST ever produced.   !@)

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 11:16:55 AM »

Well Nino so have i !

^.^

Marco, you and I both know that most Sys11 games are the BEST ever produced.   !@)

Well Marty if it makes you feel any better back then i didn't !  @.@
Some people have big HEADS !