Author Topic: Is Fish Tales Hard?  (Read 459 times)

Offline Skyntara

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Is Fish Tales Hard?
« on: April 12, 2011, 08:23:21 PM »
Just wondering if Fish Tales is a hard pin?

Put at least 2 or 300 games through it since I got it. Every now and then I'll get on a roll and score well but it seems so random. Best score so far was 120 mil in one ball (for a 159 mil game) but I still have the occasional *game* that doesn't score over 1 mil.

Side lanes and habitrails are adjusted (they used to drain a lot - not sure if it was a stingy operator). Side drain star pegs are adjusted to the smallest gap.

Table is level left/right and tilted to the second line on the spirit level.

Still, lots of random drains down the sides and plenty down the middle, especially off flubbed shots into posts or shots that don't quite make it up the ramps (or off the captive ball - which I understand is meant to be a bit of a drain shot)

All I can think is that my flippers may be a bit weak. However I can easily backhand up the ramps, backhand into the ball lock up the top and backhand the multiball lock so they seem to have more than enough juice.

Is the flapping trout just a cruel mistress?

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: Is Fish Tales Hard?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 08:30:39 PM »
With certain pinball machines, I deliberately avoid some optional shots as if you miss them the chances are the ball will be lost.

I haven't played Fish Tales enough to recall if there are some you are better off avoiding or not.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:11:33 PM »
I have a FISHTALES and i would never part with it. I read your post with interest, and what you have descibed, i would say is "simply pinball at its best". The game designers did a excellent job on this machine for sure. Easy one minute, reasonable the next, then friggin hard with quick drains. Waxed up well, she will play hard n fast.  ^^^

I even fully redecalled mine at great cost cause its a keeper for sure. Personally, i dont adjust things on any pinball to make it easier, i try to leave it just like it came from the factory if possible. I like the fact that when u play most games, you walk away saying "I will get u next time bastard". I think that is what Pinball is really all about.

When i first saw a FISHTALES, i said to myself, "only fisherman would buy a machine like that". After hearing from most that it was a great title, i watched the factory promo video and bought one. What you are describing in your post is normal. The pinball machine is doing its job well and keeping u coming back for more fun and punishment.  ^^^

promo videos can help with some gameplay n shots etc. a fun video worth a watch. very 90's.  %.%
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:16:23 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 09:19:29 PM »
Just wondering if Fish Tales is a hard pin?

IRRITATING is the only answer to this... LOL..... i cannot stand this game and if in a room with one i either have to leave or insist the sound gets turned down.

FT is my least liked pin of all... cannot stand this game  !*! !*!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 09:26:16 PM »

A fun game - I really like Fishtales. Good for the family as well. The flapping fish can get a bit irriatating, but it does not distract from the gameplay. A simple DMD with a simple ruleset.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Skyntara

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 09:58:27 PM »
Ok, good to know.

I have it set up in a big open showroom so the noise isn't too bad at all. My fish stopped working for a bit and I was really sad about it. Without it the game doesn't seem anywhere near as fun or alive. Came back to life when i was having an "on" game and it cheered me to a new high score!

I cleaned and waxed the playfield and replaced the rubbers. Get some epic spin on the ball now. I presume that's normal.

I straightened up the left lane so new "casts" didn't drain at a 30% rate and same with the right habitrail. I presume that's factory. It has enough drains without ones you can't even control.

Also.... Love the rednecks!

When we play multiplayer and someone drains just after catching a fish...

"HOW BIG WAS IT????"

Gets em every time.

Offline andrew (nob)

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 04:46:36 PM »
Hey,

I met you at the comp on Saturday.

I'd recommend setting the side posts back to the centre settings.
The left lane orbit should return to the left flipper.

FT's default replay is 100 million. When I first put it on site, most people were lucky to get up to 20 million and the replay dropped down to 36 million.

Within a few weeks it had gone back above 100 million.

You can score a billion points on FT - I have once. Once you get into the flow of it 300+ is a good score.

As Caveoftreasures says the mix of high/low scoring is what makes this a great game. The biggest drain shot is missing the captive ball. It's worth going for the captive ball when you've got the autocast set, or during multiball (rock the boat in multiball can give you 200m alone).

keep at it, and let us know how your score improves.

Offline Skyntara

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 09:28:12 PM »
Hey Andrew,

Nice to catch up. Hit it pretty well today. Starting to get into the flow. Found another problem yesterday and fixed it. Drop target on the caster's club. It couldn't unlock itself so jackpots in the multiball were really hard and if you were playing multiplayer and someone got a multiball next person had to knock the target down. Fixed now and actually able to get some jackpots now.

Managed to get two multiballs off the first ball of a game - all locks plus one extra to drop the target so 7 shots to the caster's club in one ball.

Pretty happy with that but nothing over 100mil today sadly.

Offline Skyntara

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 12:56:01 PM »
Cracked 180 mil this morning.

Managed to hit every light on the boat so I must be doing something right.

Still have to work to keep balls in play. It's definitely not easy but I'm starting to get into the flow and work out what shots to avoid.

Offline andrew (nob)

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 02:47:10 PM »
Keep it up..... once you get the third jackpot (deep sea fishing) during multiball, the captive ball is worth 100m per shot. If you can keep it in play you can get over a billion!

andrew

Offline Skyntara

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »
Scoring Consistently over 100mil now. Really getting into the flow. Staying away from the unsafe drain shots unless I've just hit a multiball.

Still a big fan.

Offline Dirty daz

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 02:44:56 PM »
I have a FISHTALES and i would never part with it. I read your post with interest, and what you have descibed, i would say is "simply pinball at its best". The game designers did a excellent job on this machine for sure. Easy one minute, reasonable the next, then friggin hard with quick drains. Waxed up well, she will play hard n fast.  ^^^

I even fully redecalled mine at great cost cause its a keeper for sure. Personally, i dont adjust things on any pinball to make it easier, i try to leave it just like it came from the factory if possible. I like the fact that when u play most games, you walk away saying "I will get u next time bastard". I think that is what Pinball is really all about.

When i first saw a FISHTALES, i said to myself, "only fisherman would buy a machine like that". After hearing from most that it was a great title, i watched the factory promo video and bought one. What you are describing in your post is normal. The pinball machine is doing its job well and keeping u coming back for more fun and punishment.  ^^^

Nicely said cave man  %.%

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 03:44:56 PM »
Excellent game
GREAT bang for buck
HARD game to get decent scores on.

Gav - get past the ( fairly average ) sounds and there is a VERY VERY good game in there  *)*

DW Drums rule !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 03:54:51 PM »
Excellent game
GREAT bang for buck
HARD game to get decent scores on.

Gav - get past the ( fairly average ) sounds and there is a VERY VERY good game in there  *)*

Ball search mode is an "easter egg" on Fishtales.
For Wotto  #@# #@#

%.% %.% %.%
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Skyntara

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 04:07:11 PM »
Lots of FT love.

I guess I chose a good machine to start with.

"Biggest Fish I've Ever Seen"

How could you not love the rednecks?