Author Topic: TAF vs STTNG  (Read 330 times)

Offline Skyntara

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
TAF vs STTNG
« on: April 14, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »
Hi Guys,

As you may or may not know I have a Fish Tales machine. While I enjoy the play on FT it's a bit mindless. I think for my next pin I'd like something with a lot more gameplay. Girlfriend and I are fans of Star Trek so I put it on the short list along with TAF, TOM, TZ etc. Want something that rates highly and has a nice deep ruleset.

I played TOM for the first time at the recent comp at the Lansdowne and really enjoyed it. I remember playing TAF as a kid and it rated so highly it had to make the shortlist. TZ I haven't played but it just seems so good and complex and it is number one at IPDB.

Anyway, long story short. I went out to the Dural Hotel Motel with a mate tonight as I heard they had a TAF and STTNG. Thankfully they were still there in spite of the info being a bit old and the main part of the pub being renovated. TAF was a bit tired but worked correctly, flippers and kickers were fine. STTNG looked pretty healthy and seemed 100%.

Dropped a few bucks into STTNG and had some good game got a free credit for a 350mil game and had a good time with the cannons etc. Sadly the pub was a bit noisy and the sound was way down so didn't get to enjoy too much of the voice.

Moved over to TAF. Whole different ballgame. Tight little playfield. Drain monster. Didn't feel like I could really do much with the ball. Blew a few bucks and got sick of it. Back to STTNG and had another good time, got a credit for a 450mil game. Got the mode where you shoot with the cannons. Had a really good time.

Now the question is. Am I bad or is the Addams Family not as cool as I thought. Is it more of a skilled player machine? I really didn't enjoy it that much and to me it's off the shortlist and STTNG is "rocketing" (pun) to the top.

Guy on the other forums has a STTNG shopped and 100% for $3500 up in Newcastle. I'm not really ready to buy yet but is that a decent price?

I'd prefer something unshopped and cheaper, but it doesn't seem too bad.

Are there any other good games with Deep Rulesets that I should check out apart from TZ? I was thinking maybe DrWho. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: TAF vs STTNG
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:49:36 PM »

I think TAF will be too similar to FT. It does not have a deep ruleset, just complete the mansion - but it is not easy to do. ST TNG - complex ruleset second to TZ, but I think machines with "deep" ruelsets are not as playable as "fun" games like TAF.

TAF is similar also to Scared Stiff. I love both games. TZ is similar to ST TNG - deep rules but the gameplay suffers. You have to be either in the "fun mood" or the "serious pinball" mood. Get one of each and you have all bases covered. You have a FT, so I'd be looking more at a ST TNG than a TAF. $3500 for a nice ST TNG (good ramps and plastics - no wear) is a fair price.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline FreePlay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lewisham, Sydney
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:03:49 PM »
sttng is the better game I reckon, deeper ruleset, it's one of the best pins you can get. Taf was very popular in it's day and many people remember playing it so it's now popular for that reason. The sttng is cheaper too so that's what I would go for

Sttng is a serious game though as you get through your missions and battle against the Borg but has great sound and an unreal muliball with cannons and the Borg firing back at you

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:20:33 PM »
TAF is more of a package i reckon... we all remember it onsite, it looks good, great theme and some cool gimmicks. But it suffers from repetition in its game play and yes - the PF area is small and tight.

STTNG is a much better game, much much better shots, but it doesnt look anywhere as good as TAF ( unless youre a Trekky and Pickard is your bag).
I played a STTNG recently all blinged up with LED RGB etc... looked outstanding and was a blast to play.

Oddly enough though.... given the choice id take the TAF... cousin It beats Jean Luc any day

Offline Skyntara

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 11:57:38 PM »
I think I'll rule out TAF for now.

Still got STTNG as top of the list. I'll have to find a TZ and throw a few bucks into it.

What about Dr Who? Anything else with good complexity? Tried a game of Who Dunnit on Virtual pinball and it seemed kinda crappy. What about Whitewater or Whirlwind?

What else should I check out?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 12:02:19 AM »

Whitewater is another "fun" game. Like TAF, the playfield is small but the ramps are the feature of this game - and the topper ! DR Who is a strange one - it is an awesome theme, and obtaining all the Doctors is similar to completing the Mansion in TAF, but with more action rather than humor. The mini playfield needs to be working perfectly on this game to be enjoyed.  Underrated pinball.

Whirlwind is a classic, but is is similar in many respects to TAF.

Have you thought of a Data East Game ? Jurassic Park is as playable as TAF, but with a deeper ruleset and the best "toy" in amy game !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 12:12:32 AM »
Not a massive fan of STTNG, but I'd take one ahead of TZ if you are a Trekkie of any sort. It does have some nice shots and I like open playfields.

I'm not a TZ fan (had and sold), but don't mind TAF (but wouldn't be one I'd buy). STTNG probably the pick for you from the sounds of it.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 12:18:13 AM »
I liked the STNG so much, I purchased 2 of them as long term keepers. I feel TAF gets a bit repetitive. If you have many machines, and only play a few games here n there, Addams Family would be worth a purchase as well, but to play it over n over n over again, its not as deep as the STNG.  Still, its still a great game, but i reckon 2nd to STNG.

* A few years ago, these Star Trek titles in great condition were alot harder to find, espescially Australian delivered. There are alot more around today, but be careful, do your homework, and buy a machine that comes from a private collection, versus a unshopped hugely used eurohack, unless u know how to replace colis, rebuild flippers, adjust optos, and strip the playfield fully for a good clean, rerubber and reglobe. $3500 for a nice STNG is fine. You always pay for quality.
Some people say that these STNG are nightmares to shop, but i disagree, they have no more basic desires than any other pin. If anything, they are a very solid machine. Cannons are a area for rebuild, but a very straight forward process etc.

You could consider purchasing a Data East Star Trek 25th as they are a great fun game as well. Find a ST25th and have a game, also lots of fun.
Dr Who, not bad at all, but you have to be a big Dr Who fan, otherwise, again it gets repetitive. Still a fun machine.

p.s - meet as many forum members as possible, visit n play some machines in collections, thats the best way to pick a real good title. Are u in melbourne ?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:22:01 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Skyntara

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 12:50:29 AM »
Sydney I'm afraid.

Met a few members at that comp but haven't owned my FT for a month yet so pretty new to all this stuff. Don't mind shopping. I'm pretty mechanical - diagnosing and soldering on the FT CPU board within a few days of getting it. I rebuild motorbikes as my other hobby so a few solenoids and coils isn't very scary.

So looks like I need to track down a TZ, DRWho, and Jurrasic Park (remember having fun on this as a kid).

However it still sounds like STTNG is on top. ST 25th Anniversary doesn't seem to rank too highly and I'm not as much a fan of the original series. Love my Jon Luc Picard. Still, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 03:26:59 AM »
I prefer the STTNG my self. I think strangeways hit the nail right on the head "You have to be either in the "fun mood" or the "serious pinball"
What I like about the next gen is there are so many things to achieve when playing a ball. whether it be getting up to warp factor 9.9 or trying to complete the demands of the forengi (probably spelt that wrong)on a ball to ball basis.Then you have doing all the missions, done over the length of game, it's just great to get "The final frontier".
Also if you hit both the flippers at once at the right time while data is talking you get 10 million. Then there are the hidden features like 'Poker Night' and playing the old game of Breakout on the DMD.
The list goes on.
And to this day I am still learning how to get certain bonuses lit.
Sorry to ramble on guys but I am sure you can tell i am a mad trekky  ^&^   
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 07:28:50 AM »
My opinion... (i like challenging games the best)

I too didn't find FT very good at all

TAF is OK but way too easy in my opinion, i've completed the mansion 3 times in a 3 ball game.  Hadn't played one for 18 months and on my 2nd game completed the mansion twice.  That said it still is a good game.

STTNG - i would keep it over an TAF, great with LEDs and excellent sound, good rules

TZ - absolutely awesome game, quite difficult but achievable to get the final mode

TOM - i've got one in fanstastic condition and would probably keep it over TZ (even though its a slightly easier game, its super fast - also EVERYONE who comes over really likes it, regardless if they've ever seen a pinball machine before or not)

Whitewater - as others have suggested, this is one of the best value games out there - do yourself a favour and have a bash on one for a while, still have not been able to get the elusive vacation jackpot - this and TOM are the two machines my wife says can't go anywhere!

Jurassic Park - definitely a very good game, although not quite as good as Whitewater

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 07:34:35 AM »
Also forgot

Dr Who - didn't get into it at all, although multiball is pretty good

Another title that i really like is Roadshow, doesn't get a huge following, but its got some good humour and great rules

Offline Skyntara

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »
Thanks for all the opinions.

Given me a lot to think about.

Offline andrew (nob)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 11:52:49 AM »
I've never been a fan of Star Trek, or Twilight Zone. Both seem "too busy" (and i'm Wars not Trek). $3.5k is a good price for a STTNG in good nick.

Have you considered an Indiana Jones? That would be my preference (If I didnt already have one).

I recently purchased a Demolition Man, which I also enjoy a lot. Great Ramps & Modes and cheap as it's underrated.

When I next have a bash at mine i'll make sure I invite you.

Also - make a day trip to Newtown to play many different machines. My last count was there were about 25-30 machines in the area.

andrew

Offline Skyntara

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »
Hadn't Thought about Indy.

There's two isn't there? Which one is the good one?