Author Topic: Sydney Pinball Expo 2009  (Read 14809 times)

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Re: Sydney Pinball Expo 2009
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2009, 09:47:54 AM »
Great idea Stu,

Will bring it up with Rain (who is reading these posts by the way) next time we speak

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2009, 12:32:39 PM »
whoever is talking to RIan (tony, gav, nino?) might want to get him to scope the power capabilities of this hall. nothing sucks juice like a big line up of pins, deep friers, and the other gear on show and it would be a bummer if the circuits couldn't cope. i'm not sure a community hall will be big enough to handle the load and better to get is sorted in advance. a generator or 2 could provide load management and/or boost. its great to see that this event might get all of the pinball ppl in the same spot and it would be great to see it become an annual event. it might get a few more people into the hobby which we all know is a good thing. looking forward to meeting some of you 'southerners'. ^^^

not sure it will be a problem as the only pins going / for sale are the auction ones ? , not sure if these will be on during the expo , or they are in a different part ?  maybe Tony can confirm this. unsure what % of the hall will be auction pins to , stalls  with parts and goods for sale ?? the auction is Sunday afternoon ( mother’s day)   I am guessing so they will have to be viewed before the auction , I am unsure how many stalls there are  going to be .  and what sizes ???

I will call Rain later myself to ask a few more  questions I have , before i deciede  on a stall
also re insurance and security  and what times are the expo and when does the auction start on Sunday

also it would be Pinballspareparts going  NOT Child Amusements 
for emails re Pins  I wont be taking any as per the auction on sunday, as  requested
maybe a top end pin for show only from my personal collection  that wont be for sale

mark

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:46:41 PM by markc »

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2009, 12:46:10 PM »
Yes there will be pinballs being supplied other than the ones for auction.

Michael has told Rian he will supply 15 pins for the Expo just to be played (not for sale etc.). There will be other guys bringing pins along to play for everybody

I'm thinking of dragging up 2 of mine - Universe from 1958 and Bowling Queen from 1964

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2009, 12:47:26 PM »

Michael has told Rian he will supply 15 pins for the Expo just to be played (not for sale etc.). There will be other guys bringing pins along to play for everybody

I'm thinking of dragging up 2 of mine - Universe from 1958 and Bowling Queen from 1964

sorry  Tony  thats not what I was told

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2009, 01:27:53 PM »

SWEET! mate - ill be driving down with a van and can relieve you of that offending UNIVERSE pin right there and then

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2009, 07:26:13 PM »
I couldn't be more happier that this expo is going ahead and a big congrats to Rian and the crew for making it come alive,

However in saying that.....is it just me.........don't you guys think this hall is to small for a pinball expo...  !@# !@#

I've been to many 'collectable' town hall sales/meets/expos, in town halls with similar dimensions as this one and man they were a joke...

over crowded and REALLY REALLY tight, hard pressed for room. 

Pinball machines are alot larger than the collectables !
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 12:57:30 PM by Pinfan »
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline pinfan2

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2009, 10:37:52 AM »
 Hi All

As you have probably seen I am attempting to put on the first pinball expo in Australia. I am hosting this event to ensure that pinball stays alive in Australia and hopefully to convert others to the hobby, while providing all of you with the chance to get together and share the love of pinball. This event will be a great opportunity for everyone who is as passionate about pinball as I am, to get together, play and talk pinball.

While I am well aware that there is some conflict within the industry, I have no bias towards anyone. Thus, this post will be put on both forums.

My aim for the event is simply to get as many people to this great event as possible to enjoy pinball.  I believe that this event will enable businesses to promote their products and services. As well as encouraging new hobbyists, through exposure to the machines and for those in the industry and private collectors, such as yourselves, who share my passion.

I have sought assistance from those within the industry and have contacted Michael Shalhoub and Jason Douglas as they have been in the industry for years.

In addition to the day events and pinball competition I am putting on a meet and greet on Saturday night, with light supper, for a limited number of people who register (at this stage I believe we can cater for approx 300, however, exact details and information will be posted on my website, www.pinballexpo.com.au as they become available).

As the organisation of this event is turning out to be more complex and time consuming than I anticipated (much to my wife’s disgust) it is highly unlikely that I will have a chance to follow what is happening on and communicate with you all via the forums. So I ask everyone who is interested to keep an eye on the website for details as they become available.

I sincerely wish to spread the joy and pleasure of pinball and hope that you all can share my dream and experience the expo for yourselves. With any luck this will become an annual event where the passion can live on and be shared.

Thanks for your interest and support.

“Lets Keep the Dream Alive”!!!!

Cheers Rian

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2009, 11:01:38 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to post that info Rian. We wish you every success in getting this event up and running. Let us know if you need a hand with anything.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2009, 12:38:19 PM »

Welcome to the site, Rian.

As you have probably noticed, one of our resident artists has already created an EXPO 2009 Banner for our Site which we might run until the Expos starts  ^^^

Thanks for taking the time to post on the forums, and I speak for all our members in offering our full support for this event.

#*#
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2009, 01:18:27 PM »
Thanks for finally posting Rian,

You will notice we have had nearly 1000 hits on the Expo - so the word is out there.

As the other guys mentioned if there is anything you need a hand in just ask.

Offline Pinfan

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2009, 03:21:26 PM »
I understand that its still early days however does anybody know/or have a estimate of machines that will be set up and playable at this expo ?

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2009, 04:03:45 PM »
 %)% Rian, and well done organising your expo  ^^^

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2009, 08:05:51 PM »
I understand that its still early days however does anybody know/or have a estimate of machines that will be set up and playable at this expo ?

good question Marco

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2009, 09:24:35 AM »
I presume people will be able to bring machines along, with prior consent from the organisers, for visitors to enjoy and play and buy if the owner of a pin decides to sell? I think that the expo will attract a good crowd and assume that there will be at least 60 to 100 pins on display and powered up. Would be great to know a few more details, I am definately planning to go.

Offline Pinfan

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2009, 02:37:40 PM »

good question Marco

Well there has been this big storm about an expo ( which i am also excited about ) without hardly any details with its release.

I for one would like to know the basics like..

Whats the entry fee ?

What time does it open on the opening Saturday ?

Who will be there re; sponsors/retailers ?

How many machines will be set up to play ? ( estimate of course )

What time on Sunday will the auction be ?

What are the viewing times for the auction ?

How many machines in the auction ?  ( estimate of course )

The way i see it is if you have gone through the effort of organising the INAUGUARAL Pinball expo to the likes of this ( already an explosion of collectors and interested parties in wanting to book/make plans to go to Sydney) then i believe that these basic questions should have been covered and given with the news when it was first 'broken'.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing i want more than for this expo to go ahead and i commend Rian for having to the balls to do it but as i mentioned above.. Lack of details is a killer !  ^&^

I have been frequenting the expo site and there are no details there either.   (((

Do we just stand in the dark and wait ?  !!!

I hate to be the pessimist here but May is only 3 months away and with another blink of the eye it will be christmas.

This is typical of the bloody pinball hobby !  :D @@^  @@^  @@^