Author Topic: Pinrepair is no longer available free online  (Read 4038 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Pinrepair is no longer available free online
« on: April 21, 2011, 10:39:14 PM »
Can't believe it just jumped on the pin repair website and it's no longer available for free anyone else find this?  I'm more than happy to pay as it worth every cent but man what a shame

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: Pinrepair is no longer available free online
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:43:24 PM »
Yeah .. just tried it to find the same .. but for $10 USD + shipping its worth it I reckon .. 
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 10:53:34 PM »

I have no problem paying the $10 JUST to support the cause. The Marvin guides were a great resource all those years ago, and were always updated.

Personally, I credit Steve Young and Clay Harrell as the forefathers of what we call "Pinball Restoration". Without these guys, we would not be where we are today  *%*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 11:08:05 PM »
Seems to be a bit of hoo hah on RGP from guys that submitted their $10 worth of knowledge and that Clay may not have the right to allow their intellectual property to be sold.

It is a shame that the guides are now protected. 
Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 11:20:28 PM »

I can see both sides of the story. I'm still not fussed about it. It might be a collection of repair tips from various authors - but it was put together by one person and credit given to those who contributed.

For those "really hard technical problems" - post them on our forum. One of the locals will work it out  ^^^ ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 11:47:12 PM »
That is a big shame, but still nuthin's free these days anymore. I guess it all costs money to host a site that supplies handy info like this essentially for free.

I'm happy I printed out and put into a clear binder book the Bally, Williams, and EM repair guides when I had the chance to. I remember thinking that this stuff wont be free forever.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 11:56:07 PM »
I have most of it saved on my laptop for taking to the shed but will definately get a copy on cd

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 01:04:21 AM »
Thank goodness for the internet archive I suppose

http://replay.web.archive.org/20090225083903/http://pinrepair.com/
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 02:20:54 AM »
Back many months I did save the Bally (1977-1985) and EM repair guides as MHTML documents.  Not sure if I would now get in the poos for emailing this to anyone if they needed it?

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 03:17:48 AM »
I had all the wms stuff saved but now I have saved them all. I am doing this with anything & every thing to do with any pinball now. I like to keep a copy of manuals and eproms as they also are disappearing. If only some one had given us a heads up before balls of steel was removed  !!!  .
It is not so bad in this case because you can pay $10 and access the documentation. What I really hate is when files / software is removed from the web due to copyright reasons but no one has the licence to sell the files or the person who has the rights does not sell the software or files. The way I look at it is this, if no one with a licence wants to sell the software, image or hardware then make it free. Then if the licensed person decides to make the item and sell it, remove the free copy of it. The one thing I keep in mind is just because you can download it today doesn't mean you will still be able to download it next month.  Before I bought my second pin i used to use VP mame, I could download nearly any table and rom set for nearly any pin, but now most of them are no longer available.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 08:42:24 AM »
I always expected Pinrepair to just disappear one day.. not be accessable for a fee.
personally, im a bit miffed about it, but in all honesty, i havent used the guide for bloody ages.
WMS sys 3-7 i printed off some years back...wish i had done the same for the EM start up sequences... but really... weve all read them over and over and we can pretty much fix our machines without them now i reckon.

These guides were a lifesaver to find out HOW the machines functioned... once this is known, life is easier.

Remember.... Leon is still free

http://www.flipper-pinball-fan.be/

At the end of the day, i guess if i start doing WMS sys11 and such, ill have to buy the damn thing.

.. thinking on it... i have some of it on disc already... wil go check.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 09:08:14 AM »
Years ago i started downloading and saving ALL of Clays pinball repair/restoration guides for all the different makes of pins, and i would check for updates regularly (i did that just a couple of months ago). I even printed out some of them for use if i had to go and repair someones pin in their home in case they were needed  *%* and anything i dont have printed out, i have them on my laptop comp if needed. I did the same thing with manuals, especially some Gtb manuals (for my own games mainly) before they were all removed from the web.  

I too think its a shame they are now gone, it was always handy to just jump on the website and look up info, but i would also pay for a disc if i had to. Anyway i will be saving them all onto disc in case something goes wrong with the computer.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 09:15:18 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 10:00:09 AM »
I had a link to pinrepair on my website, which I beleive is great reference material for all. Have already sent $ to purchase CD.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 03:12:25 PM by oldpins »

Offline andrew (nob)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 10:18:56 AM »
Hey guys, has there been an announcement or comment from clay?

I found the link to buy the dvd ($15 to AU which is chickenfeed) at http://pacificpinball.org/visit/pinball-swag
but, they state they dont provide U/P for pinrepair, only the dvd.

I'm happy to pay for the U/P so I can always get the updated info.

andrew

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 02:21:48 PM »
What's U/P andrew