Author Topic: Pinrepair is no longer available free online  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Pinrepair is no longer available free online
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2011, 08:47:49 AM »
Ummmmmm, thats what happens when u put something on THE WORLD WIDE WEB !

Imagine a few dozen people copying them or displaying them when they have diss-appeared out of site. Nahhhh, that will never happen when u put something on the web !  @.@ @.@

Next, if u produce a CD and sell it, what will you do with the next piece of modern technology called a DVD BURNER. I understand this fellow has been displaying these for a while and he has spent 15 years on it, but this technology was copied when photo copiers were around, then came computer flat bed scanners, then came email. Technology is against you from them being copied, but the same technology (called the world wide web) is how so many people know about them. This is where u cant have ya cake and eat it too !  Protecting Intellectual Property these days is almost impossible. Every industry suffers now because of it.

Clay shld tell the world what he wants to do with them, and try real fast on making a buck if he can. Seems the horse has bolted.

I HAVE AN IDEA THAT MIGHT WORK. SOMEONE EMAIL IT TO HIM !  !@#

If Clay did a book and added heaps of photos, and did a bit of a story with his version of his last 15 years work n experiences in the pinball industry, this is how he could make a buck and stop just the technical stuff being copied. Call it "Pinball Compendium meets great in depth technical data and pinball stories" all wrapped up in one hard cover colour book.
Now, that would sell and u cant really copy a hard covered 100 page book with a electronic coded key (like Microsofts software key) which then gives u membership to his guides. He has to get a bit creative to make his product fit n work the modern day and the challenges that come with it !  *%* *%* *%* *%*
Modern technology makes going to print very easy and only a few grand to get the first batch printed. I have a friend who publish's books with a few of the biggest book companies in the world. it wouldnt be that hard for Clay to do something that would help his cause $ and still get money for the guides. (that will be 10 percent Clay for that great advice)  *)* *)* *)*

That sound very sensible to me and to probably 99.999% of people, but there seems to be something funny going on with all this that Clay is not letting on.
I obviously haven't met they bloke, but from the few emails he has sent me he seems a bit odd.
Here is the last email he sent me:

thank you very much for removing them.
i really appreciate it. i know you were just trying
to help the community.

again thank you.
clay harrell

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2011, 10:13:28 AM »
Clay's mentality: "if i can't have it my way, then nobody can have it"

I think there was more to the turn of events than just Clay taking his ball home and pouting, such as others who have contributed to his guides taking their ball home and pouting because it was going to be sold and benefit a pinball museum or something, then things getting a little complicated and then, etc.... . You can see on the pinrepair site that not everything was removed. Just the repair guides, which as I understand it is not necessarily 100% his own input. So it's more than just Clay's ego intruding on our Constitutional right to free pinball repair guides.  &&

But even so, I've been tread on and screwed over many times in life and a guy just has to learn to grow a thicker skin and not let your buttons be pushed. You only get so much time to do stuff and getting miffed at "the mob" is no help and just a waste of time.
Anyways....
I'd be in for purchasing a book Clay wrote and access to the guides and probably a few other things just to say thanks for the effort. And I don't even have a working pin anymore. I did buy the TOP dvd set and those too are great. Clay does good work. He just lacks some "political finesse", and I can certainly say the same about myself.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:19:43 AM by vinito »
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2011, 11:54:55 PM »

I'd happily pay for the guides to support the cause. How many newbies are getting into the hobby that are missing out on the information ? Clay set the bar very high with his guides and TOP videos. I guess the man has his reasons, and we need to respect that. But I DO feel for the newbies that may lose interest when help does not seem to be readily available as it once was.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2011, 03:39:30 PM »

A change of heart, perhaps ?

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm

@@*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2011, 03:55:28 PM »
Some new video content as well! @@* @@*

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2011, 04:46:03 PM »
Seems he is bringing them back, here's the front page for the EM's http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

Noticed he's updated the copyright tag and date, so lets hope we see the rest back soon.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2011, 05:24:14 PM »
Seems he is bringing them back, here's the front page for the EM's http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

Noticed he's updated the copyright tag and date, so lets hope we see the rest back soon.

I think the original removal was due to others claiming part copyright.
He seems to be overly stating that it is all his.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2011, 06:22:40 PM »

No, the original removal Clay was because looking to sell them for $10 on disk to aid one of the pinball museums. There was a lot of backlash and claims by others to have substantially contributed etc. Messy issue, I am guessing the EM one is back first because I understand he did author virtually all of it himself.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2011, 07:29:35 PM »

There was a lot of backlash and claims by others to have substantially contributed etc. Messy issue.

That's what I said????

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2011, 07:47:04 PM »
Nah, they were taken down and a notice posted that you could buy them on disk for $10.00 "donation". That was done without notice, and had nothing to do with anyone's claims of copyright.

All the claims about copyright etc surfaced after they were taken down.

Offline elkor-alish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2011, 09:09:57 PM »
I don't understand.
I would have thought that who ever had contributed to the guide, had pretty much forfeited their right to the info once it was given to Clay and posted on his site.
I would have been happy to pay a small fee for the info to help a good cause.
I also would have just gone ahead and done it anyway. (sold the cd's)
I'm sure many law suites would have ensued. All hail the litigation nation USA.

Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.