Author Topic: The Shadow...any good & what is it worth??  (Read 292 times)

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
The Shadow...any good & what is it worth??
« on: April 22, 2011, 12:23:51 PM »
Hi
Been looking for my next machine for a while now and although it's a buyers market I haven't been able to find one that I'm really sold on. Starting to get a bit frustrating and I'm starting to look outside my wish list now but don't want to make a mistake. Came across this Shadow on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260771088938&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT  that might be worth a look rates pretty well on the pinball sites.
Anyone owned or played this machine could tell me what it's like and what do you think it would be worth? Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.....Tim

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: The Shadow...any good & what is it worth??
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 02:33:31 PM »
Pricing seems to be around the $2K mark, a little more for really nice ones, but with the market flat maybe $2K is tops for the moment. If the ebay one is within collection distance an offer at $2K might be worth a try, best to look first of course. Might be able to negotiate something on the spot, you never know.

As for what's it like - a really fine playing game. But there is of course a BUT, and it's a big one. Pinball is as much about aesthetics as it is about gameplay (otherwise we could have been rid of the back box by 1980) - while you don't play the translite, it is almost too ugly for words - Baldwin looks like he's just sucked a lemon or is taking one for the team, I don't know. If that was the look they were going for, then what was in their minds is anyone's guess.

Playfield however is quite nice, an art deco sort of look. A good package and quite hard to master apparently (I've only ever played on site so never got deep enough to know).
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 03:10:06 PM »
Totally agree with Pinnies4me shadow is a good game apart from the ugly translite.

I specially love the magnet that throws the ball up into the secret room and the upper playfield is also a great feature

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 05:28:56 PM »
Shadow is probably the most underated pinball out there and one of my favourites. I have 2 very good examples, one I'm keeping, the other for sale soon..............would let it go for 2k to a good home %$%

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 05:47:01 PM »
Shadow is probably the most underated pinball out there and one of my favourites. I have 2 very good examples, one I'm keeping, the other for sale soon..............would let it go for 2k to a good home %$%

There ya go Tim!! Good seller with the right game at the right price.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 06:12:51 PM »

I knew you would chime in Dave - I really enjoyed playing yours.

Tim - buy with confidence, Dave knows his machines and describes them honestly  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 06:37:33 PM »
Thanks Everyone
Dave I would be very interested in coming over and taking a look if thats ok (provided your in Melbourne...where are you?). I'm be away till Monday afternoon so either then or Tuesday would be good for me.
Thanks...Tim

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 08:01:43 PM »
You are welcome anytime, located in Tullamarine.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Offline RottyGuy

• Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 08:38:15 PM »
Shadow is a great game IMO. I don't know why so many are put off by the theme or translite  !@# It's not as bad as they make out.
I had one, but sold it. It's one game i'd consider buying again.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 12:04:06 AM »
Shadow is a fantastic game, it is only let down by the translight.  Deep rules, cool mini playfield and great ball lock.
Dave is an honest bloke who know his stuff.  Bang for buck you can't go wrong

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 07:01:40 PM »
Damien from Adelaide (Damo, mate of Judgeboz) has the best SHADOW i have ever seen. The colours of the cabinet, translite and playfield are unique with the pastel blue.

When u find one in amazing condition, the flashing red rings on the playfield look terrific. You shld find a real nice example for around the $2k mark. They didnt get hammered on site much, so most are in good condition. I didnt mind the translite. Good colours and definately modern looking.

The promo video, below, is a good watch as well. Plenty of missions on this machine.  ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !