Author Topic: Ebay- Paragon for sale in Melb  (Read 455 times)

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Ebay- Paragon for sale in Melb
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:14:41 PM »
Hi All,

Just giving you Melbourne boys ( and girls) the heads up on a Paragon for sale on Ebay.

Certainly looks to be worth the opening bid of $1500, but will undoubtedly go for more.

Its in Thomastown I believe (a few dodgy pinball people in that part of the world from what I hear && )

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1979-Paragon-Pinball-/170632910183?pt=AU_ArcadeMachines&hash=item27ba839567

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: Ebay- Paragon for sale in Melb
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:19:29 PM »
looks pretty good.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline punter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 07:01:13 PM »
A bit of work to do on it,wear around sling shots,inserts,missing a couple of the wire gates.Cab faded but ok,and backglass i would want to see some close ups as it looks to be bubbling in areas also.If i was after one i would pay the asking price and fix the flipper ect.CPR will be doing a new playfield and backglass for this so if someone was a bit fussy you could always get these down the track.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 07:06:39 PM »
Hi All,

Just giving you Melbourne boys ( and girls) the heads up on a Paragon for sale on Ebay.

Certainly looks to be worth the opening bid of $1500, but will undoubtedly go for more.

Its in Thomastown I believe (a few dodgy pinball people in that part of the world from what I hear && )

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1979-Paragon-Pinball-/170632910183?pt=AU_ArcadeMachines&hash=item27ba839567

Plenty of "dodgy" characters in Thomastown  #@# #@#  ^^^

It looks better than most I've seen on eBay. Its a working pin, but needs a restore. I'd say it will sell for less than $2000.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 06:17:26 AM »
That would be right Paragon has been the number 1 machine I have been after for ages and the same day I give up and put a deposit down on a Shadow one shows up....never mind I'm still looking forward to my Shadow...Just a hypothetical in case I do still have a go at the Paragon (and I know it is an impossible question to answer having not checked it out fully) but is any one game on having a ball park guess as to what it might on cost on top of the sale price to have someone shop a machine like this and bring it up to speed and have it playing well?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »
That would be right Paragon has been the number 1 machine I have been after for ages and the same day I give up and put a deposit down on a Shadow one shows up....never mind I'm still looking forward to my Shadow...Just a hypothetical in case I do still have a go at the Paragon (and I know it is an impossible question to answer having not checked it out fully) but is any one game on having a ball park guess as to what it might on cost on top of the sale price to have someone shop a machine like this and bring it up to speed and have it playing well?

Completely depends on the standard of "shop out". Just getting it going, replacing rubbers, bulbs, fuses and a general clean could be done for $150-$200. To address the flipper issue, power supply, solenoid driver, MPU connector issues will add time and costs (depends on the condition).

I'd say you should work around the $35 per hour and then set the standard shop out / recondition / restore.

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 01:00:02 PM »
Here’s a couple of questions for those that own this pinnie (Nino, Punter & Daniel) - Aside from the beautiful artwork, what can one expect on the gameplay from this pinnie??

Are the ball times slow due to gradient of the playfield?
Is it much of a drainer?
Are the flipper shots the same over & over again?

I’ve never played one, but knowing what it was like playing such games in it’s era (Black Jack & Kiss), i feel that it may be a tad bit boring – compared to the DMD’s that we’re accustomed to.

$1500 to me could be put towards a DMD instead.

To the owner – if you’re a member on this forum, I would like to come past & view your machine. I’m based in Preston. Shoot me a PM.

SC.
SC.

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 01:55:06 PM »
Listing has ended early - "Item no longer available."

Wonder if someone made an offer he couldn't refuse?

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 02:09:47 PM »
Congratulations to whoever got it  @@*.

SC.
SC.

Offline chris288

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 05:17:19 PM »
Listing has ended early - "Item no longer available."

Wonder if someone made an offer he couldn't refuse?

Thats a bit of a piss off!

Was looking forward to see how much it went for.

I 'd say someones emailed him with a silly price or maybe he had it advertised elsewhere.

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 06:13:19 PM »
I set mine up the way it was when purchased,did not adjust rear legs ect.I have seen some reviews where people comment on slow play,if they came and played mine they would get a big shock,playfield is kept waxed and it is very fast.As a player there is no comparision Paragon wins hands down over Kiss.You can never get bored playing this as there  are many things to shoot for,and different ways to get specials.It is a good challenge to try and knock down all the inline targets and then to get the ball into the kickout hole.I would not say it is a big drainer as you get good ball time.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 06:45:12 PM »
I set mine up the way it was when purchased,did not adjust rear legs ect.I have seen some reviews where people comment on slow play,if they came and played mine they would get a big shock,playfield is kept waxed and it is very fast.As a player there is no comparision Paragon wins hands down over Kiss.You can never get bored playing this as there  are many things to shoot for,and different ways to get specials.It is a good challenge to try and knock down all the inline targets and then to get the ball into the kickout hole.I would not say it is a big drainer as you get good ball time.

+1 Summed up beautifully  ^^^

Horses for Courses, Paragon was the best machine produced during my "golden era" - 1977-82. It has a massive sentimental value to me due to it's history. That aside, as a "player's game", it is still the best machine I've ever played. As a general rule of thumb, widebodies can be slow and plodding, but if regularly serviced, it is a fast machine.

KISS is simply one of the most boring games to play and is not even in the same "league" as Paragon.

Paragon is truly the "best package" as a pinball. Artwork, layout and playability are unmatched. What makes it more impressive is that the games designed around that period are some of the most desired and playable machines EVER. Fathom, Medusa, Meteor, Flight2000, Spirit, Black Hole, Firepower. That's some SERIOUSLY awesome lineup of machines. Paragon is STILL a better machine than all of them.

:2cents:

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 09:52:32 PM »
I'm hoping there's going to be an Expo later this year so I can play one.
Sold to a member as per AA thread.
Just curious, who was interested in bidding for this pinnie and at what highest price were you prepared to go?
SC.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 09:59:27 PM »
I'm hoping there's going to be an Expo later this year so I can play one.
Sold to a member as per AA thread.
Just curious, who was interested in bidding for this pinnie and at what highest price were you prepared to go?

More than welcome to play mine. Might organise when the Fathom is restored as well ?

The eBay pin at $1500 was a good price, but I'm sure someone would have rocked up with a fistful of cash. I'd say $2000 would have snagged it.

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 10:11:30 PM »
Thanks for the invite Nino - i'll come over when your CV is restored....and when's this happening?

I was contemplating putting a bid in and if it went down the wire, would have put 3k as my highest bid, to engage say winning bid around 2.4k.
SC.