Author Topic: My Flash Resto (Without Studley67)  (Read 6956 times)

Offline mildflame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
Re: My Flash Resto (Without Studley67)
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2011, 05:17:44 PM »
I have asked and sent photos of original art, from your machine. And i'm currently waiting for a response...
Gavin tends to get lost in his E-mails
Check out my website: http://mildflame.blogspot.com.au
Happy reading!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2011, 06:52:44 PM »
Pm sent

Offline creaper

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, W.A
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2011, 11:23:37 AM »
Looking good :)

Offline spook

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane, QLD
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2011, 09:04:16 PM »
Enjoying this thread Mitch .... watching with interest while I try to locate a reasonable project Flash to try a first restore on.
Wanted: Another Williams Flash

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2011, 11:28:55 PM »
Enjoying this thread Mitch .... watching with interest while I try to locate a reasonable project Flash to try a first restore on.
Good luck, there was a few Flash machines around a while ago (my dad has another 2!) I have found them as a good first restore as long as you know or are good yourself at board-work, The main boards in the Backbox are conected with a really dodgy connector, it becomes dirty and gets bad contact after ~10 years. another thing you want to look out for is playfield wear... thats where the paint has come off from the ball rolling around after years of being played in a pizza bar; ect. unless you are good with an airbrush then try getting one with no or little playfield wear... ps. you can buy genuine stickers for certain areas of that machine.
I hope you learn as much as I will from my mistakes and find what your looking for,
Good Luck finding a machine! ^^^
Happy reading!

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2011, 07:57:40 AM »
if you were in sa i may have been able to help out with a flash.you should find one under a grand,as there were over 10,000 made.good luck with your search spooks,damien mitch's dad. $!&
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2011, 07:14:35 PM »
Just finished painting it black... now waiting for stencils #@#
Happy reading!

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2011, 11:28:47 PM »
Stencils on their way! not long now... well... for the cabinet! :lol
I also have a decal for the Apron on the way #@#
Happy reading!

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2011, 08:30:09 PM »
APRON DECAL came today,

So I decided to clean up the apron,

Using shellite I managed to get the gold sticker paint that i originaly failed to get off with alcahol and whatever other glue removers i used

came of nice and easy!

i then cleaned the rest of the apron with windex and shellite, then used my rust remover to clean off the dead rust and oils at the rusty areas

the results were amazing, all i did was rub it over like i was cleaning it and it removed small amounts of rust!

lastly i gave it more cleaning and a small rub on the ruff areas with windex and 400grit wet and dry sandpaper making it nice and smooth,

now i have just spread the Dulux rust remover over the apron as it says on the bottle to remove and seal the rust spots, it says that may take a few repeats so that most likely will take a while

Atleast its getting done! %.% *%*
Happy reading!

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2011, 08:41:05 PM »
does anyone know what the little bump at the middle bottom of the apron is for and has anyone ever tryed removing it?
i am worried about it getting in the way when i apply the decal!
the decal has a small hole there but not big enough to go over the whole knob ^&^
Happy reading!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2011, 08:44:54 PM »
Doing a great Job Mitch

That's knob should be made of rubber and if you gently poke the rubber through from underneath it will come out but be gentle as they can be brittl

Offline bsa

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2011, 09:42:07 PM »
Hey Mitch, following the resto with great interest as i am trying a first job in similar condition. Keep me posted on the apron decal and how difficult it was to fit. Cheers Mark

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »
If you apply the decal with wet method, it is foolproof.

Its the same as applying vinyl signs and pretty much guarantees a bubble free finish that is perfectly in place.
Use a garden spray with water and approx 2 drops washing up liquid in it.. give a good shake.
spray the apron and peel the decal. apply decal to wet apron.. it will slide over the suface allowing you to position correctly.
once in position, hold the centre down and from the midle of the decal out push the water out from underneath using a firm cloth etc.. actually driving licences are great fro this if you dont have a vinyl squeedgy.
Then push water out from other side.

Put aside to dry.. can place in sunlight for this.. every now and again running your fingers over the edge to ensure good adhesion here.
Surface MUST be grease free... no fingers!
IF you do get a bubble then prick with a sharp scapel and push air and water out.. you wont see the hole so long as its a prick not a slice.
If the decal has a problem settling into the crevices where the instruction cards sit.. wave a hairdrier over it very lightly.. this will soften the decal and allow you to laminate it into place... you can push it down with your finger... its how we apply to crevices when wrapping a car.

If you do it dry.. you WILL get bubbles/ creases and very likely off centre.
If you know all above already, then i apologise for teaching the sucking of eggs!

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »

Its the same as applying vinyl signs and pretty much guarantees a bubble free finish that is perfectly in place.
Use a garden spray with water and approx 2 drops washing up liquid in it.. give a good shake.
spray the apron and peel the decal. apply decal to wet apron.. it will slide over the suface allowing you to position correctly.
once in position, hold the centre down and from the midle of the decal out push the water out from underneath using a firm cloth etc.. actually driving licences are great fro this if you dont have a vinyl squeedgy.

Put aside to dry.. can place in sunlight for this.. every now and again running your fingers over the edge to ensure good adhesion here.
IF you do get a bubble then prick with a sharp scapel and push air and water out.. you wont see the hole so long as its a prick not a slice.
If the decal has a problem settling into the crevices where the instruction cards sit.. wave a hairdrier over it very lightly.. this will soften the decal and allow you to laminate it into place... you can push it down with your finger... its how we apply to crevices when wrapping a car.

If you know all above already, then i apologise for teaching the sucking of eggs!
Wow, thanks gavin!
i didn't realise all the possiblitys and problems that could happen, i thought it would be easy to just put down the decal evenly, i think i'll do the water and deturgent idea when it happens and hopefully i dont stuff it up and need another one! !@#
Happy reading!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2011, 10:53:23 PM »

Wow, thanks gavin!
i didn't realise all the possiblitys and problems that could happen, i thought it would be easy to just put down the decal evenly, i think i'll do the water and deturgent idea when it happens and hopefully i dont stuff it up and need another one! !@#

You should'nt have any problems applying the decal following Gavin's tips. Only thing i could possibly add is to make sure you dont get any specks of dust etc on the apron as the decal is being applied. probably not a major issue with this decal as its black, and not clear, had that happen to me once with a Gottlieb apron decal (speck of dust under a CLEAR part)  ^&^ lucky for me though it was near an edge and i was able to remove it.

Sorry if i missed it elsewhere in the thread but are you repainting the apron before applying the decal?