Author Topic: Pop Bumper Lighting  (Read 295 times)

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Pop Bumper Lighting
« on: April 29, 2011, 03:44:43 PM »
I know this may be a topic that has been travelled many times, but .....

Is there a low profile incandescent light (with standard bayonet fitting) that can be used in pop bumbers?  I am thinking something along the lines of the profile of a 455, as below.

I know the 455 is a blinking type light - do not want a blinking light - just showing it here for the example of its profile.  Hopefully by going with a lower profile, there would be minimal risk of burning the pop bumper cap.  So, is there an incandescent type that would work here?

One of my machines (Skateball) does have LEDs in it (not sure what type of LED it is), but it constantly flickers which I do not want.  I guess an alternative to incandescent would be an LED, but I'd prefer incandescent if possible.  If finding an incandescent is not possible, then what LED type would work well that is also always on (ie. no flickering) for the pop bumpers?

These would be going into a few 1970's EMs, and SSs from the mid to late 1970's.  Is LED flickering an issue for both DC powered (as would be for the SS) and AC powered (as would be for the EMs)?  Thanks in advance.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Pop Bumper Lighting
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »
Most pop bumpers will accept 44 or 47 globes. I did find my 1955 woodrails bumpers needed a special small headed globe I'll see if I can find what they were called took lots of times brforebi got the right globes lol

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:09:04 PM »
I know this may be a topic that has been travelled many times, but .....

Is there a low profile incandescent light (with standard bayonet fitting) that can be used in pop bumbers?  I am thinking something along the lines of the profile of a 455, as below.

I know the 455 is a blinking type light - do not want a blinking light - just showing it here for the example of its profile.  Hopefully by going with a lower profile, there would be minimal risk of burning the pop bumper cap.  So, is there an incandescent type that would work here?

One of my machines (Skateball) does have LEDs in it (not sure what type of LED it is), but it constantly flickers which I do not want.  I guess an alternative to incandescent would be an LED, but I'd prefer incandescent if possible.  If finding an incandescent is not possible, then what LED type would work well that is also always on (ie. no flickering) for the pop bumpers?

These would be going into a few 1970's EMs, and SSs from the mid to late 1970's.  Is LED flickering an issue for both DC powered (as would be for the SS) and AC powered (as would be for the EMs)?  Thanks in advance.

Where did you get the leds from?
The cointaker ones normally don't flicker, but I have seen some cheap Chinese ones flicker, you may have one of these in there.
Are you getting the right voltage at the bulb?

Offline Steve2010

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 05:17:05 PM »
The cointaker ones normally don't flicker, but I have seen some cheap Chinese ones flicker, you may have one of these in there.
The game came already with the LEDs, so I'm not certain where they came from.  Also, no problem with the voltage at the bulb.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 09:01:10 PM »
The game came already with the LEDs, so I'm not certain where they came from.  Also, no problem with the voltage at the bulb.

Sounds like the previous owner has installed cheap leds then, got to http://www.cointaker.com/ their prices are great and so are the leds.
I normally get wide angle warm-white and although not quite as yellow as filament bulbs they are not blue like some leds.
I have used them on GI and feature lights, on an old Bally or Stern they will take some load off the GI circuit.

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 01:59:58 AM »
Hey Steve,

They are cointaker leds and they were installed for 2 reasons.

Because of the pop bumper action of this game (a hell of a lot of pop bumper action) For some unknown reason it kept on blowing the incandescent globes without fail. No matter what i tried. I checked all that could be checked, replaced and kept on replacing the globes with them continuing to blow until i decided to go with the leds.

The second issue was that the globes sit very very close to the top of the cap and with the heat could potentially burn the cap. My original caps had the burn marks on all three caps from the incandescent globes. So the heat was another issue.

Since i put the leds in place not one problem. So i thought the flickering was a small price to pay.

Each to their own i guess but i thought id chime in as to why. Maybe try warm white leds of your choice. This could be a solution.

Good luck with what you decide.

Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Steve2010

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 08:28:48 AM »
Hi Marco, thanks for your input.
The second issue was that the globes sit very very close to the top of the cap and with the heat could potentially burn the cap. My original caps had the burn marks on all three caps from the incandescent globes. So the heat was another issue.
This is exactly why I wouldn't mind trying first a low profile incandescent globe, so it doesn't sit right up against the underside of the cap.

Because of the pop bumper action of this game (a hell of a lot of pop bumper action) For some unknown reason it kept on blowing the incandescent globes without fail. No matter what i tried. I checked all that could be checked, replaced and kept on replacing the globes with them continuing to blow until i decided to go with the leds.
Maybe the reason the incandescent globes failed is because the top of the globe was contacting the underside of the cap, and every time the pop bumper activated there were impacts with the globe?  Just guessing.  Maybe putting in a lower profile globe would suffer the same consequence - if the filament cannot take the vibrations, then you're quite right, the globe will kark it.

Did you try a low profile globe, and if so, what is one that would work (ie. the 455 is a good profile, just don't want the flashing that comes with a 455).

If this works, then great.  If not, then I would really want to find the LED that will work that also won't flicker - and this would need to work for both DC (SS) and AC (EM).

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 08:37:52 AM »
How many do you need Steve??

This type of bulb was common place in 40's and 50's machines and so i have some here. They are used but working.

Think they made a better quality bulb back then

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 10:35:35 AM »
Nice offer Gavin.  ^^^

It makes sense what you're proposing Steve re the contact of the globe on the cap.

I put it down to cheaply made china globes !

To be honest i never tried older original more robust 44s which i pulled from older games, the globes with the brass base. Better quality globe i reckon.

Might pay to go with Gavs globes if you like the incandescent light.
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline justwedgeheads

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 11:02:43 AM »
Hi Steve,The bulb your after is a 51.I run them in my wedgeheads and get them from PBR.Although I think they draw.25 amps,so they run with the heat of a 44.           

Offline Steve2010

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 03:11:56 PM »
Hey guys, many thanks for your responses. ^^^

Gavin, thanks for your offer (appreciated), but as I need to put an order of other stuff into PBR in the next few weeks, I will add #51s to the list (thanks Ian for the suggestion).

Offline FreePlay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lewisham, Sydney
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 01:22:05 AM »
You might want to consider " ghostbuster" LEDS as they definitely do not flicker. I think Greg at rtbb.com.au sells them

Offline Steve2010

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 02:40:28 AM »
Thanks Paul, will look into it.