Author Topic: Williams Big Deal Restore  (Read 1833 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Williams Big Deal Restore
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 09:12:05 PM »
 !)# I noticed that he sold it iwas just hoping he had the plastics scanned.  Or am i the only one who scans all the plastics for emergencies?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 12:26:31 AM »
!)# I noticed that he sold it iwas just hoping he had the plastics scanned.  Or am i the only one who scans all the plastics for emergencies?

Daniel - I don't have a scanner - yet (working on that) - I just rely on talented guys like Wotto and Gavin !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 06:35:09 AM »
Thanks Nino
                  Was worth asking

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 01:56:50 PM »
Nice work Nino  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Williams Big Deal Restore Update
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 11:36:52 PM »

Here's the continuation of the restore with a few pictures. First up is a picture of the playfield complete with shoehorn repair, apron and a few other parts. I think I was very fortunate to have had a great playfield to work with from the beginning.

The cabinet did not require a repaint. It just needed Nifti, some rags and elbow grease. Later on I put the finishing touch of a good polish with Mr Sheen. It can really bring out the reds and blacks. The legs are simply polished, and the door was disassembled, cleaned and reassembled.

Inside the cabinet was simply washed, and allowed to dry (outside). The baseboard with all the electrics has been removed. This makes it easier to work on later on (on my workbench). It takes 10 minutes to properly clean the inside of the machine.

Under the bonnet - The door has been cleaned and note the two plastic protectors that surround the coin switches on the inside of the door. They are always missing from these games. Special note - Look on the Paragon - There's a Novus 2 bottle. WOW you say... The only place that carried Novus products in Australia (at the time I did this work), was "Novus windscreens". So I used to drive to the Novus workshop near my place and pay $15 ! Sometimes, they had to order it in for me, as not all the stores had it all the time.

Next Update - Steppers !

^&^

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 11:40:55 PM »
Looking real nice!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 04:26:41 PM »

I thought I had heaps of pictures of the dis assembly of a stepper unit - but I don't have good pictures. I will document a stepper rebuild on one of the future EM Restorations. For now, I'll just describe some of the work done.

First problem with just about EVERY EM game is the "Hold" relay. Even notice the annoying "humming" sound in the background of an EM whenever you turn it on ? Sometimes is resonates and gets louder - all the more annoying. sometimes you can adjust and clean, but the coil within the "Hold" relay is always activated when power is applied to the machine. So it is almost ALWAYS worn out to a crispy brown color. Rather than muck around, I replace them. Keeps the machine quiet. Here's a picture of the old next to the new.

Stepper Units

For the most part, Stepper units can be left alone for years without problems, but all moving parts need maintenance at some point. During their route days, maintaining steppers was very simple. Spray them with CRC. They will keep working until the next time they need to be lubricated. That was ok THEN. But since we are hobbyists, we should take better care of these mechanisms. Typically, most EM newbs are reluctant to service a Stepper. But we all start out as "newbs" - right ! The easiest way to explain a stepper is to switch the game on and watch someone play the game. Check each stepper and note down the differences between them. Once you work out "what" they do, it makes it easier to diagnose or repair. With any machine that has been in storage for a long period, I rebuild the steppers units - All of them. The experience of rebuilding a stepper is invaluable in repairing them later on, and builds on your knowledge of EMs. Before rebuilding the steppers, have the game in working condition.

Rebuilding a Stepper Unit

This will be brief, but I will venture into more detail on the next EM restore.

1) Identify the stepper unit and its function in the game
2) Take plenty of pictures - "rest" position, all the way to it's "full" travel
3) Check the tension of any springs - count the turns on any of the shaft springs and write that down (crucial)
4) Do NOT lose the smaller springs or "mix" them up. I usually place then next to a ruler and take a picture
5) Soak the smaller parts in alcohol - This will remove the grease and grime
6) Wash the rest of the parts with a toothbrush and alcohol. I "stiffen" the toothbrush by shortening the bristles
7) Use a green scotchbrite and alcohol to wash the shaft.
8) Let everything dry
9) Drop a "drop" of machine oil in the shaft
10) Reassemble stepper unit and return it into the game
11) Check that the stepper moves freely and does what it is supposed to (See step "1")
12) Turn on the game and play test it.

Why would you playtest the game after rebuilding only one of the steppers ?

As mentioned above - you need to have the game working before rebuilding any steppers (unless you are confident the problem is within the steppers). If you have introduced a problem by rebuilding the stepper, then the problem is isolated to that stepper.

Here's some pictures of the Steppers in the Big Deal ;

Bonus Unit

Ball count Unit

Boards and Wipers

These are on the reverse side of the Stepper. They are easy to clean. Simply use a green scotchbrite soaked with alcohol, and gently scrub until the gold contacts "Shine". While the wiper contacts are out, clean the contacts as well. When it is dry, drop a "drop" of machine oil on your finger and smear it on the surface and over the contacts. Here's a dirty one ;

After spending a few hours working on the steppers, this is what you shoiuld be looking at ;

Reverse side - with a new power cord.

After rebuilding the steppers on this game, it typically fired up and worked straight away !

:D

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 12:14:58 AM »

The "Zero" Score reel

The Zero Score reel is a "fake" score reel - just a plate with a sticker and the number Zero in it. They are always slightly faded, or sometimes they peel off. In this machine, they had faded and deteriorated to the point where they had to be touched up at one point, with a texta. I wanted to locate some stickers to replace them, but they didn't exist. The only way to fix this was to make my own.

This is how they looked on the machine ;

Removing them was easy - they fell off ! Just touching them caused them to fall off. Here's a picture of the old sticker and the base ;

I took one of the stickers to work. One of the "artistic" guys took a ruler - measured it up and created the sticker in a paint program. After a bit of tweaking, I printed it on an A4 sheet of adhesive backed paper ;

I then used some "contact" to cover the adhesive paper to give it that "plastic" look;

Finished product - Looks HEAPS better  ^^^

Only problem is that I discarded the unused portion of the printout, and I have another machine to do in the future !

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 09:21:50 AM »
Nice tip there, welll done.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 03:31:02 PM »
I did a similar think with a space mission pinball except i did every score reel. I made a scan off the only surviving reel and went from there. were not perfect but better than completely missing. First two digits in the photo have been redone

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Williams Big Deal Restore - completed
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 11:46:11 PM »

All that was left was to re assemble the playfield, give it a final wax and buff and sort out any issues. There was only one problem that I found, which ended up being on the Coin Stepper. Easy fix. Here are some pictures of the playfield ;

My Favorite shot

Since it was done a long time ago, there are some things I could have done to make the machine look better. The white area around the scorereels could have been touched up and the backglass sealed - as an example.

I spoke to the new owner around 4 years ago, and it has never missed a beat !

It is actually a fun game to play.

Thanks for reading !

^^^

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 09:04:16 AM »
Thanks for sharing - one day I will get an EM just to say I have one (and because they make good projects, by the sound of it). One day.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 09:38:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing - one day I will get an EM just to say I have one (and because they make good projects, by the sound of it). One day.

Steep learning curve for some - But rewarding once you start. Quite a few EM newbs have given it a go here recently, and are enjoying the experience !

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »
Well done Nino!  Looks great ^^^

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 08:33:05 PM »

Steep learning curve for some - But rewarding once you start. Quite a few EM newbs have given it a go here recently, and are enjoying the experience !

What are your top ten in terms of pinball play?