Author Topic: howzat by howzat  (Read 404 times)

Offline howzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
howzat by howzat
« on: May 11, 2011, 11:42:38 AM »
hey all,
i just bought a howzat off ebay . It first went on for 1500 no bids , i called him after the auction and offered him 1250 but he  wanted 1350    it went back on for 1350 a guy  offered him 1350 and his money fell through, so i thought i had    to buy it i got it for 1300

it just goes to show that with all of the containers coming into the country that it is a buyers market

this is a game we used to play back in the day and now i own it , how cool is that :) im trying to get my collection back to what i used to play.

Here are some pic

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
Re: howzat by howzat
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 11:46:53 AM »
more pics
the back glass on this game is in perfect nick there is no fading or flaking on the inside theres one small mark from rubbing the displays so i will need to align the door properly and there is only one mark on the play feild , i have cleaned it but yet to polish it

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 11:58:49 AM »
this game i will re paint to the original color of red with the head box i will get vinyl decal made up. The sides will be painted and just the hand and ball to be done in a vinyl decal and the front will be all vinyl.

some dikhead !!! has put a lock on the coin door so the holes will need to be welded and doweled on the timber

the plan is to get the game running properly, play it for some time and then do the paintwork. mr pinbologist is coming down and working on it to get it going and this will take a few trips

can anyone tell me origional coil is es100hankin what could you use instead of this : for the slingshots

im pretty pleased with the condition of this game especially the bg and cant wait to get it going

Howzat  #*#

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 12:27:55 PM »
Ian, i still have to have a look thru my stash of coils, im sure there are some Hankin coils there. if i dont hav them i should have something here that will work ok. I'll get back to you soon and let you know.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 12:34:02 PM »
Well done, look forward to the resto  *%*

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »
Thanks for posting, interesting game due to its Aussie heritage and strong identity tie-in.

I've seen gottlieb coils in these games (and Hankin in Gottliebs!) so they must be a physical match in some sizes. Just need to identify the ohm rating and then select the matching Gottlieb I would think.

Did you get a manual or schematics? I might have some for ESB here I can shoot over which probably would have the same coil ratings in similar spots.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 08:58:50 PM »
I'll chime in here, yes he has the full manual and schematics for this game (i am helping with the electronic/ electrical probs).

There are a few electronic issues that i will do my best to sort out for Ian. There are issues with the displays, all digits coming on dimly when the game has booted up (ones which should be off), as well as some feature lamps coming on at the wrong times, suggesting to me lamp data/addressing problems  !@#
Not sure if the lamp and display problems are related just yet, need to study the schematics some more next time i visit Ian. I have a few ideas of what might be wrong though.

I have worked out and fixed a few things on this pin already when i visited him last weekend... rewired the coin door (EVERY wire was cut off the switches etc)  ^&^ and repinned some of the connectors that were hard wired to the driver board, (replaced header pins on board as well as connector housings), still have a few to do as i ran out of time.

Its going to be a pretty good game when its done i reckon, i hadn't seen or played this title before.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 10:43:13 PM »
one of australias best ever fast bowlers.  i am interested in what noises the game makes. very unique game. well done. excellent pick up.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:49:15 PM »

I had the flyer for this game - in fact I had ALL the Hankin flyers before I sold them. This machine interested me as it has a very cool layout. I'd like to play it one day !

"C'mon aussie, c'mon, c'mon.. "
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 11:06:02 PM »
Im interested in the proposed repaint of this machine and the vinyl graphics.

You say "original red" but looking at the pics.. the cabinet loks to be in better shape than can be expected for most machines.. is there something i am missing here?

If this is the original artwork that has naturally darkened then in all honesty repainting it will ruin it.. especially with cut vinyl overlayed..

tell me im wrong please?

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 11:51:42 PM »
Im interested in the proposed repaint of this machine and the vinyl graphics.

You say "original red" but looking at the pics.. the cabinet loks to be in better shape than can be expected for most machines.. is there something i am missing here?

If this is the original artwork that has naturally darkened then in all honesty repainting it will ruin it.. especially with cut vinyl overlayed..

tell me im wrong please?

I was thinking exactly the same.

Best to leave it original.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 08:28:56 AM »
 i am interested in what noises the game makes. very unique game. well done. excellent pick up.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

sounds are very much the same as early Wms solid state, like Flash/Stellar wars etc, with a background rising pitch sound much like Flash which can be turned on and off. And it plays the "come on aussie come on" tune at the end of the game.

And far as the cab condition goes, its ok except for a lot of scratches and holes drilled in it for locks etc. I think this game is a "holy grail" title for Ian so he wants it to look its best. I must say i have to agree.. it should look its best  *%*
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:42:36 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 02:27:10 PM »
Hi Guys
thanks for comments but with the paint if i match the colour and overlays colours as close to original I think it will come up a treat   The only other option is stencils and Im sure that this would be the correct way off doing it   but finding the time is my issue   For now I will get it going play for a few mths and way up my  options   and Im sure this will be a keeper  We played it a lot back in the day  :lol             

Howzat

Offline pinball-collector

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 10:07:55 PM »
Good score,,,  well with all the container pins coming in, there will be no Hankins,, think there was only about 250 of Howzats made,,most are in the tip, well l have 2, also have the full collection or 5.. well you have 4 more to go.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 10:14:44 PM »
My architect friend next door to my shop went to a customers house the other day and apparently there was a HOWZAT sitting in the corner. Not working, but he offered my services.

There might be more of these tucked away than you give credit for