Author Topic: Ohhh WHAT TO DO ? First SS game or Not ?  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Ohhh WHAT TO DO ? First SS game or Not ?
« on: May 27, 2011, 09:09:21 PM »
Decisions Decisions Decisions.
I have quite a few DMD machines , BUT I dont have anything earlier than my Black Knight 2000 , being a 1989 model.

I am thinking of buying something late 1970's.  Like 1978 ish etc etc. BUT when i look at youtube videos of machines like Gorgar, Phoenix, Flash etc etc, I find the audio a bit annoying, and I dont know if i would enjoy the pinball with the audio on. Do other people who have mainly DMD pinballs find the earlier stuff a little audio lacking or a little annoying, because the sounds are so basic with high pitch noises/repetitive etc or can u do some sort of audio upgrade.  !@#

I never grew up with Pinballs so I dont have a "attachment" to any machine from that late 70's era. I ofcourse know people who grew up with the Gorgar, Flash, Phoenix etc etc will love the audio, cause you know it so well. These titles also seem to be very very popular.

Does anyone on here, who has DMD's/SS games, find the audio of earlier stuff enough etc. Should i buy a late 70's machine, or is it a case of "not liking the audio will kill the purchase experience" for me ?  !@#
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:56:24 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Ohhh WHAT TO DO ? First SS game or Not ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 03:36:12 AM »
Get VpinMAME
http://www.vpforums.org/
download some games from the 70's
Tables made by 'Pacdude' 'scapino' are pretty good

while not perfect, I have found Vpinmane to be a good way to 'Audition ' a machine without having to buy it

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 08:17:31 AM »
I reckon GTB SYS80 and 80a games had the best sounds for the era... more depth and not tinny like WMS and BALLY... the noises are a bit more "spacey" also if you know what i mean ( doubt it - mainly the ramblings of a fruitcake),

But yes - sounds will be a bit more basic than what you are used to... memory was a new thing back then and very limited

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 08:25:22 AM »
One of the best games from that Era is Firepower (1980) and sounds/speech are great.
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 08:41:12 AM »
One of the best games from that Era is Firepower (1980) and sounds/speech are great.

Agreed.... good example.

CENTAUR... another good machine with great sounds

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:52:17 AM »

Agreed.... good example.

CENTAUR... another good machine with great sounds

+2, Firepower is a sensational sounding game. But if all you know are late model Sega stuff or even WMS with lots of sound effects (whether good or not is open to debate) and didn't grow up with the games of these golden eras, I wouldn't bother. It's the nostalgia factor that registers high with these games for those of us that grew up with pinball IMO.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 12:15:41 PM »
Brett,

As you know I have Phoenix, Flash, Gorgar, Black Kniight(1980) along with DMDs Apollo13, Austin Powers, T2, Harley Davidson, JP, Twister among others and would spend the majority of the time on the SS machines by far. Although unlike yourself I actually grew up with these and EM machines but in my opinion the late 70s early 80s were the best machines I love the corny primative sounds and simple game play etc.

Having said this I am sure you would love a few in your collection for diversity and you definitely would not be turning down the sound.

Jeff

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 03:07:25 PM »
Buy yourself a nice original Black Knight.

I dare you to! ^&(

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 04:09:13 PM »
How much would a really nice example of say a Phoenix cost ? 
And are the other titles like Gorgar, Flash and Firepower the same money, or are some titles of this era much much cheaper ?   

A price estimate and availability of each of these title would help me pls. Must be really nice condition.

Phoenix $ ??
Gorgar $ ??
Flash $ ??
Firepower $ ??
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 05:36:52 PM »
Brett for nice examples when you find them probably the same as what you paid for most of your DMDs excluding the high end machines. Depending on availability around $1200 for a pretty average one and up to around $2500+ for an excellent example. Others may differ but it all depends on where you source, from whom etc, etc.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 07:40:18 PM »

If you are going to look at SS machines, you cannot go past Ballys - especially in their heyday 1977-79. Williams games of the same era are not even close, and the best from that era "Flash" is a GOOD playing game but not in the same class as Paragon, Space Invaders, Star Trek, Mata Hari, Harlem Globetrotters, Eight Ball and Playboy. If you stretch out the years into the early 80's, you have Medusa, Fathom, Viking and Flash Gordon. None of the Williams or Gottliebs were even close. Don't forget the Sterns of this era, arguably the fastest SS ever made - Galaxy and Meteor leave most other SS machines behind. If you like Drop Targets, the "ultimate" is Meteor. Flight 2000 is a "player's" game and a great art package as well.

If you are going to own the "Quintiessential" SS from 1977-82, then look no further than Paragon. Unfortunately, they are hard to track down. A Stern "Meteor" would be the next pick.

If you "have to have" a Williams - "Firepower" or "Flash".

If you "have to have" a GTB - "Joker Poker" or "Spirit". "Genie" is also a very good playing game.

Most of the Williams games mentioned are under $2000. Phoenix would be the cheapest, you should get one for around $1200-$1300.

Keep in mind, if you want a "collector quality" SS, it won't come cheap and you would have to buy it from someone who knows what they are doing (like another member). Dealers have "no idea" how to prepare, recondition or restore SS machines. So you may have to either buy one already done, or buy a project and have Andrew restore it for you. Unless you want to do it yourself.

Sounds on SS machines

1977 - Chimes. All character. Just love the sound of chimes - especially on Strkies and Spares !
1978 - "beep" "Beep" !! Ballys sounded better than SYS1 and SYS6. Sterns were woeful !
1979 - Advanced "beep" and background sounds - Gorgar was the first "speech" game.
1980 - 82 - All manufacturers sounded great and had speech on some models.

The thing about this era - GAMEPLAY. As we advance through the 80s and 90s, sounds and visuals were used to mask the gameplay. SS are "meat and potatoes" machines and EVERY "younger" DMD player I've introduced an SS to, has warmed to them immediately. There is more choice, they are cheaper, and most of my generation LOVE the character - and a part of that character is the sounds.

Ironically, of all the periods of machines I get asked about - 1975 to 1982 is the era I have the most requests for. Might be the agegroup of the people I talk to ?

Every collection should have at least one EM, one SS and one DMD.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »

1978 - "beep" "Beep" !! Ballys sounded better than SYS1 and SYS6. Sterns were woeful !

Sorry, I have to disagree
I prefer the sounds of the Gottlieb sys 1 better than the tinnie sound of the Bally's of the time
Bwoopp, bwoop, dooo, dooo

( I also prefer those beautiful big blue displays)

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 01:51:59 AM »
Hey Nino, now you're talking my cup of tea.  Definitely love the Ballys from the very era of years you have mentioned.  I guess growing up with them during about that exact time must have been the main factor.  I did like Gottliebs and Williams as well (always have a soft spot for Gottlieb EMs), but number one in my books is Bally during this timeframe.

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 02:42:54 AM »
I'm not the best-schooled pinhead, but isn't there a time in the early to mid '80s when pins weren't into DMD yet but were advancing sounds quite a bit?

I had a PinBot which was a lot of fun to play, part of the fun being just hearing the sounds progress as you went. Also had a DE Secret Service which was just a blast to play and had quite a bit of variety with sounds and music and such. Also ramps, gates and other various interesting toys. Neither were DMD of course. Those were just the two I owned and I'm sure there are a dozen or few of that era with similar play.

Just wondering if you want to slide into some SS machines, maybe working your way back might keep it more interesting for you.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 10:31:14 AM »
Probally depends on wat you grow up with, I grew up with mostly Williams and love there games so each to there own, there's plenty to choose from now from all manufactures.

Peter