Author Topic: Ohhh WHAT TO DO ? First SS game or Not ?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Ohhh WHAT TO DO ? First SS game or Not ?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »
Probally depends on wat you grow up with, I grew up with mostly Williams and love there games so each to there own, there's plenty to choose from now from all manufactures.

Peter

Absolutely - These are only opinions, so everyone is "right". A Williams title that NEVER gets a mention is "World Cup". I used to love the gameplay. The cabinet was predominantly white - in fact the whole game "stood out" from the BLACK Williams titles of the era.

I guess I lean to the Bally from when I was young. Williams and Gottlieb (SYS1 and SYS6) were terribly unreliable, and their route days were restricted before they were removed from locations. You could leave a Bally Star Trek or Mata Hari in one place for a year, and it still earned well nd rarely broke down. GTB System 80s didn't last long, and Williams SYS7 (Black Knight in particular) took off in a "big way". This was the start to Williams dominance in the mid to late 80's - Pinbot was a HUGE earner. Ballys were nowhere to be seen, in fact operators didn't even bother with the COOL Ballys like "Dungeons and Dragons", "Escape from the Lost World" and "Blackwater100" - These are all VERY collectible today, but were not part of the scene in Australia during their years of production.

All manufacturers had a period where they dominated the market for a period of time. I think the mid 70's to the early 80's was Bally's heyday, but I have found that Bally games post 1971 are also excellent machines. My personal collection now has many Ballys from this era and I simply love them !

ALL pinballs are awesome, but I've always loved Ballys.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline braddo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 04:17:54 PM »
Grab a SS. I play DMD's on site, I like them a lot, and find that after a couple of games they don't really have more shots than SS's, maybe deeper rules but shot count is similar, and SS's have shorter ball times so youv'e got to be on your toes and really play the things to beat them. SS's have better art and more character IMO, and I say SS 'arcade' sounds are better than DMD too (my opinion). Get one for the right price it will be easy to pass on if ya don't like it, but, if you get the SS bug watch out.

WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 10:29:04 PM »
good advice ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 11:34:46 PM »
How much would a really nice example of say a Phoenix cost ? 
And are the other titles like Gorgar, Flash and Firepower the same money, or are some titles of this era much much cheaper ?   

A price estimate and availability of each of these title would help me pls. Must be really nice condition.

Phoenix $ ??
Gorgar $ ??
Flash $ ??
Firepower $ ??

Did you see the Phoenix in Ebay a couple of days ago, it went for $485.
Needed some work but cheap enough.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 02:07:27 AM »
Buy yourself a nice original Black Knight.

I dare you to! ^&(
+1 "I am the Black Knight"
or even a Pharaoh, Fire power (1 or 2) or Phoenix, give me something old school to work on. lol
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 01:59:33 PM »
How much would a really nice example of say a Phoenix cost ?  
And are the other titles like Gorgar, Flash and Firepower the same money, or are some titles of this era much much cheaper ?  

A price estimate and availability of each of these title would help me pls. Must be really nice condition.

Phoenix $ ??
Gorgar $ ??
Flash $ ??
Firepower $ ??

Did you see the Phoenix in Ebay a couple of days ago, it went for $485.
Needed some work but cheap enough.

I was laying in bed, and had been bidding on that phoenix. I was going to bid to apx $600, but two things happened.
1. the communication i had directly with the ebay seller worried me alot, as the listing was done well, and the photos and deskription was done well by someone who knew pinballs, but the sellers english was almost non-existant on the ebay reply to my messages etc, and it just didnt feel right.  i just didnt believe the machine would turn up.
2. the wife told me if i bought another pinball, i would be in the doghouse for a month. lesson here, dont bid on a pinball and let the wife see/know, and if the seller on ebay gives u  that twitchy dont trust feeling, best to get the next one.

I do, however, really like the phoenix mahine. Will look for another.  ^^^

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 02:05:57 PM »

Brett - Don't restrict yourself to Williams games. I know the Harlem Globetrotters on eBay was sold out of WA, but that buries Phoenix, Gorgar and Flash IMHO. Only Firepower would be considered slightly ahead of HG.

I'm a bit "one eyed", but you need to broaden the net a bit ?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 02:33:48 PM »

Brett - Don't restrict yourself to Williams games. I know the Harlem Globetrotters on eBay was sold out of WA, but that buries Phoenix, Gorgar and Flash IMHO. Only Firepower would be considered slightly ahead of HG.

A bit one eyed -  and you say FP slightly ahead of HG?

You, sir, are being highly controversial!!  ^.^
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 03:18:52 PM »
ok, I didnt even think of a title other than Williams because everyone always says bally/Williams etc etc.

Question - what is THE BEST title I shld buy being a game made prior to 1981, being a SS machine or even earlier ?

(if u could have ONLY ONE MACHINE prior to 1981, what machine must it be ?  !@# !@# !@# !@# !@# !@#

I really want the best of the best for this era. Is it Paragon, Is it a KISS, is it a Atari Hulk or Superman ? which one must I add to represent everything earlier than 1981 ?  !@# !@# !@# !@#

I will then buy what u guys vote the best title is. Majority vote wins  ^^^

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 03:28:36 PM »
Brett,

That Phoenix you were bidding on was only 10 mins from my place and I did place a bid but asked to have a look and I got no response !? So I was very suspect to say the least and did not bother to continue as something did not seem right like you mentioned.

Would not surprise me to see it come on again soon!

By the way don't listen to anyone, go for the Phoenix, you know it was the first machine you played when you were younger....you will love it! *%*

Jeff

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 03:38:24 PM »
Brett,

That Phoenix you were bidding on was only 10 mins from my place and I did place a bid but asked to have a look and I got no response !? So I was very suspect to say the least and did not bother to continue as something did not seem right like you mentioned.

Would not surprise me to see it come on again soon!

By the way don't listen to anyone, go for the Phoenix, you know it was the first machine you played when you were younger....you will love it! *%*

Jeff

glad i wasnt the only one who thought the whole listing was suspect. mainly from the sellers email comments. paypal is the only way to pay via ebay. therefore u have some chance of reversing the payment if it goes pear shaped.  i still wouldnt mind a Phoenix at the right price. see what other great titles people rccommend. I could always buy a extra machine plus the phoenix, but will not tell the wife. will just slip it in to the collection when she is out.  %.% %.%

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 04:25:49 PM »

A bit one eyed -  and you say FP slightly ahead of HG?

You, sir, are being highly controversial!!  ^.^

Absolutely ! This is EXACTLY what is so good about Collecting Pinballs. There is such a diversity of machines and there are games that were part of our formative years. I recall WALLS of Ballys during the route days. By 1981, The Systems 4/6 and GTB SYS1 were parted out or THROWN out. They were simply unreliable. As a kid, the service calls were usually WMs or SYS1. Even the EMs were more reliable. The locations the machines were operated in were always close to the workshop for one reason - they continually needed to be serviced. Even on these locations, the WMS machines were nearest the door - so they could easily be carted out for repair. When I search through boxes of old parts I find really interesting stuff. Mainly NOS GTB EM or NOS Bally SS. Why ? Because they RARELY broke down. These parts were not needed. But I find boxes of old Williams games - boards, displays, mechanisms. coils - even backglasses. Why ? Because they were so unreliable - they were parted out.

When I speak with my father about the SS Days - he remembers how good the Bally and Sterns were, and when I speak about the System4/6 games he stops me and says -"I feeli like I'm going to throw up". This was common amongst operators of the time.

That's my obvious bias explained (from a historical point of view)

Pound for pound (like Ford VS Holden), the Ballys were simply a class above their competitors.

Apples for Apples (1980) - Compare a Firepower with Fathom. No contest !

Seriously - if I had a firepower and you had a Harlem Globetrotters - I'd swap. I'm quite happy to be criticised over my opinion - but that's a machine I used to play on location and it was part of my pinball childhood !

ok, I didnt even think of a title other than Williams because everyone always says bally/Williams etc etc.

Question - what is THE BEST title I shld buy being a game made prior to 1981, being a SS machine or even earlier ?

(if u could have ONLY ONE MACHINE prior to 1981, what machine must it be ?  !@# !@# !@# !@# !@# !@#

I really want the best of the best for this era. Is it Paragon, Is it a KISS, is it a Atari Hulk or Superman ? which one must I add to represent everything earlier than 1981 ?  !@# !@# !@# !@#

I will then buy what u guys vote the best title is. Majority vote wins  ^^^

Won't be KISS. Leave that for the KISS fans with deep pockets. It is not a "player's" game and only showcases the INCREDIBLE art rather than the gameplay
GTB Hulk - Great game, but hard to track down. If you want a Gottlieb from this era it would be a Joker Poker or Genie
Atari Superman - more of a collector's game.

Williams - Flash or Firepower. No use buying a Black Knight as you have a BK2000.
Stern - Meteor, Galaxy or Flight 2000
GTB - Genie or Joker Poker
Bally - Paragon, Fathom, Viking, Medusa or Flash Gordon

If you simply want the best SS it would be Paragon, Fathom or Meteor.

:2cents:

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 07:47:49 PM »
I still say get a Firepower   ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 08:21:45 PM »
Oh here we go!!!

My ha'pennies worth.

In no particular order, but cracking games up to 81 that are well worth buying as a GOOD example of a great SS machine.

JOKER POKER
 FIREPOWER
 CENTAUR
 FATHOM
 BLACK HOLE

Im not a great fan of widebodies and tend to steer clear... Paragon, while many will shout about it i just didnt take to. Personally, id rate Black Hole as possibly the best wide body you can get... the backglass alone should be reason to want one ( which i do!)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 08:48:37 PM »
Black Knight
Fathom
Firepower
Paragon
Just outside of 1981 - Rocky.  Probably the hardest game I've ever had to play and most times the owner of the game gets more amusement watching others play...For the first or 100th time still getting confused by it.!