Author Topic: COMBINED shipping, WATCH OUT !!!  (Read 628 times)

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
COMBINED shipping, WATCH OUT !!!
« on: June 16, 2011, 08:29:13 AM »
Jeez, some people.......

I bought 2 pinball manuals from ebay USA......each auction stated international shipping of $29 (which i dont agree with, it should only be $9-10 anyway).....

So, i go to pay for the manuals and notice a $58 shipping fee (2x $29) in my checkout...
I contact the seller and request 'combined' shipping for the 2 manuals, and i'm assuming he'd reply with "sure, i can send both for the one $29 fee"

But, NO, i receive a revised invoice with shipping of $49, he simply knocked $9 off the fee, not sure where the $9 figure comes from, but anyway....

I message him again, saying BOTH manuals can be covered by the $29, as i've bought upto 4 manuals for $29 shipping from other sellers....
Finally he resends an invoice with 1x $29 fee......phew.

So people, CAREFULLY CHECK your invoicing ...... some people are real hard cases, purely in it for GREED ;-)

I'm now waiting for the package to arrive, as i'm sure the postage will be far less than $29....sheesh!
MM.

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
Re: COMBINED shipping, WATCH OUT !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 08:57:29 AM »
Ideally you should always try to sort out the combined shipping out before the auction finishes, There are some sellers out there that won't budge on combining shipping. !*!
I got caught out once but that was the first and last time.
Most of the pin sellers are great on shipping but there are one or two that will try it on.
Glad to hear you got it sorted. #*#
D.

Marty Machine

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:09:12 AM »
My hassle (as always) is i only discover the items in their final hour(s), and there's usually no reply in time from the seller....

Yep, i have dealt with many sellers who don't budge.......shifty pieces of work!

MM.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:11:54 AM »
If it were me and the package arrived with - say - $15 postage on it I would leave a negative for the seller because that is blatant gouging. I hardly ever leave neutral or negative but this is one case where it gets up my nose!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Marty Machine

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »
If it were me and the package arrived with - say - $15 postage on it I would leave a negative for the seller because that is blatant gouging. I hardly ever leave neutral or negative but this is one case where it gets up my nose!
Abso-Bloody-Lutely!!!!!!!!

I've hounded ebay a zillion times about users overcharging and doing something about policing/acting on it.
If i can send a photo of the postage fee on the package, and a copy of the invoice, then i should be entitled to the 'difference' in postage refund...but Ebay sheepishly suggest the extra fees might be for handling and packaging.

I requested that Ebay enforce a ruling that sellers must display postage+handling+packaging fees to allow to the buyer to see exactly what they're paying for and why, but it's never gonna happen...
(what the hell are handling fees for anyway? it's sooooo hard to lift this book off my shelf and package it up)
They should be GRATEFUL they're making a sale, why tarnish it by screwing people for even more more money ??

....and the shonks that simply wont combine are the lowest......i bought 20 (thin) magazines recently, and the guy still wanted his $3 per mag for postage, i told him to shove his $60postage and all 20magz would fit in a 3kg satchel for $10-12....
in fact the magazines alone fit a large-letter envelope and can be mailed for $1.......some people....just ignorant, or damn F&*king stupid??  #@#

At the end of the day, i can sleep peacefully, knowing that in my 10-11 years on ebay, i've NEVER charged handling fees, rarely overquote on postage for difficult items but ALWAYS refunded the difference.
In fact, ALL my items on sale that reach ridiculous prices have the postage fee removed.
I figure if someone's gonna pay $170 for a book or small toy, why not give them a break and waive the postage, it's not like $10-$15 is gonna kill me......yet nobody else does that for me ;-(

People and money, they just don't mix........

I'm ranting...... :lol

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 10:34:40 AM »
I just about always lose money on my postage but I'd rather lose out than rip people off

Marty Machine

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 11:00:15 AM »
I just about always lose money on my postage but I'd rather lose out than rip people off
There seems to be very few of us left mate ;-)

MM

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 02:07:49 PM »

I think you were $1 too cheap on the postage for the item I just bought from you... &&
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 02:39:13 PM »
+1! Daniel was good with postage to me as was Nino.
2 very honest gentleman in my opinion!
Thanks guys.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 02:43:33 PM »
Even $29 is a big ripoff.

I have purchased schematics from both PBR and Jeff's Pinball & Jukebox Manuals (http://stores.ebay.com/jeffspinballandjukeboxmanuals) in the past.  Jeff's is in America, and he is most reasonable for postage.  I purchased 3 schematics/manuals from Jeff, and he charged fair cost for the schematics ($12), and combined schematic/manual ($20).  Total shipping cost to Australia for all 3 was $11.

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »
You guys are right it just comes down to plain ole greed.

Small reasonable charges up to $2 or $3 are ok for packaging costs, or in the case of an item that needs to be palletted of crated securely then thats fine too as long as it has been stated in the auction beforehand but Im sure some of these sellers make their bulk profit on the post & packing costs.

They would argue that its to cover their costs, but quite simply their costs and overheads are bugger all compared to anyone who has a shop or premises and staff - a perfect example is the Angus and Robertson bookstores that are closing down because they cant compete with the online book sellers or downloading of books.

Lets face it you can easily run an Ebay store from home quite cheaply and profit on postage is one sure way to double your earnings.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 07:43:01 PM »
SHIPPING FROM THE USA is still very very expensive to Australia pro-rata compared to our shipping.
I have noticed, if the items are posted from either the east or west coast of the USA, its cheaper by 50% compared to if its posted from a state central to the USA.

Weight is how USA postage is calculated firstly, and that is the killer, hence why some pinball manual or book postal prices can be expensive.

I have been stung before purchasing books from the USA.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 08:43:10 PM »
Shipping stencils out is expensive. I had one lot to canada "almost" go missing on me. Now i only quote shipping with tracking and signature. Cost via Aus international post is nearly always just under $80. Personally, i feel this is far too much to be charged for shipping and often it kills an international sale.
But for $80 i make nothing and for this shipping amount, i make the box, wrap the stencils in shrink wrap, pad the ends, tape up like a gimp on  holiday and then drive to the post office. Im always suprised at how much time this takes me and often think that i should charge a packing fee. I never do of course and so this becomes part of a "service"... aah yes.. service.. somehow this all got lost in the world

Marty Machine

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 09:08:44 PM »
Even $29 is a big ripoff.
Yep, the other manuals i bought are all reasonable around $11-$15 etc....

I'm waiting to see the postage fee when i get the package......stay tuned.

MM

Marty Machine

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 09:14:07 PM »
i make the box, wrap the stencils in shrink wrap, pad the ends, tape up like a gimp on  holiday and then drive to the post office.
Be afraid  :lol :lol :lol

Im always suprised at how much time this takes me and often think that i should charge a packing fee. I never do of course and so this becomes part of a "service"... aah yes.. service.. somehow this all got lost in the world
Exactly, service is long lost, once it was renamed to 'handling' and everyone makes buck (or 20) on it....

I *HATE* the fact that most sellers are home people, not businesses or corporate giants, so why all the "business" BS ??? sheesh...
...and don't start me on "re-stocking fee" ....fark me......  !*! :lol :lol :lol

MM