Author Topic: Import duties and customs on pins.  (Read 852 times)

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Import duties and customs on pins.
« on: June 24, 2011, 05:07:14 PM »
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a brand new stern from the states and shipping it back to oz.
What extra fees, charges or little hidden nasties are applicable to this apart from the inital shipping fee?
Anyone shipped a pin in from the states etc able to impart some advice?

CC
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Import duties and customs on pins.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 05:21:54 PM »
I know that ANT68 (Tony - member here) has purchased brand new STERN machines. I would ask Tony, or any others who have purchased new STERN machines if they purchased directly from the USA or got a great deal from a STERN dealer located in Australia first.  ^^^

It will be interesting to see what the general consensus will be here re buying brand new STERNS from members who have had that Brand New in Box purchase experience.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 05:33:28 PM »
The issue of importing machines from the US has been covered numerous times.  Try doing a search and you find out all the info you need to know.
Addicted to pins.

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »
your proberly better off finding someone who is getting a container sent from the US and ask them if you can slip it in. Importing 1 machine is NOT worth it! even better buy or ask your local dealer if they can get you hold of one ^^^ Good luck! ^^^
Check out my website: http://mildflame.blogspot.com.au
Happy reading!

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 05:56:08 PM »
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a brand new stern from the states and shipping it back to oz.
What extra fees, charges or little hidden nasties are applicable to this apart from the inital shipping fee?
Anyone shipped a pin in from the states etc able to impart some advice?

CC

Be aware that a machine built to operate in the USA will NOT work in Australia without some mods and I am not talking about the voltage issue. New pins are 'country coded' and won't work outside the country they were manufactured for.

Quite honestly I think you are wasting your time and money. There will be the machine you want already here and someone else will have done all the hard work for you. IMO unless you are bringing in a container full you will do your arse!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 05:59:04 PM »
Most of the newer Sterns have protection built into the CPU and USA games won't work on Aussie power without a hack board in place. Euro and UK machines work ok.

If it's a NIB try Joe at Kids Wanna have Fun amusements I hear he is great value with NIB Sterns

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 06:05:42 PM »
Thanks very much guys much appreciated, some much needed feedback there for a newbie.
 ^^^

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 06:15:06 PM »
Be aware that a machine built to operate in the USA will NOT work in Australia without some mods and I am not talking about the voltage issue. New pins are 'country coded' and won't work outside the country they were manufactured for.

How do they do it?

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 06:24:40 PM »
I have done it and would recommend if want to do it on your own, think again.

Check out the following thread when someone else asked this:
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=6571.0

or "the adventures of your first pinball" thread:
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=6552.0

I have a horror story and it cost a mint compared to the machine purchase price. Mind you some of the guys who import the container loads get a much better (I think mates rates deal on the docks) compared to my one in a wooden box to protect it. Though I think I would get it from the shop that imports them and sell them from a shop front with a warranty and peace of mind.

This is a spreadsheet that I kept of my experience just for those thinking about it so you don't make the mistake I did.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 06:36:01 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 08:11:40 PM »
Well that settles it.
After that speadsheet was posted I am looking for one over here.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 08:12:31 PM »

How do they do it?

Its to do with the Hz rating on the power.  AFAIK in Australia we are 50Hz and the USA is 60Hz.  Basically if you jumper the transformer (same as late model pins) for 240v (rather than 110v), the CPU senses the difference in Hz and basically displays a 'this machine is not designed for your country (or similar) on the DMD.  There are hack boards around to bypass but from the ones I've seen are messy and to be honest not worth the trouble.  Then issues around servicing etc.  Mike would be in a much better position to explain the nuts n bolts of it, but I've worked on a Spiderman (Black) which came from the UK (50Hz) and there was a dip switch on the CPU for Australia and there were no issues at all.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 08:16:48 PM »

How do they do it?

Its to do with the Hz rating on the power.  AFAIK in Australia we are 50Hz and the USA is 60Hz.  Basically if you jumper the transformer (same as late model pins) for 240v (rather than 110v), the CPU senses the difference in Hz and basically displays a 'this machine is not designed for your country (or similar) on the DMD.  There are hack boards around to bypass but from the ones I've seen are messy and to be honest not worth the trouble.  Then issues around servicing etc.  Mike would be in a much better position to explain the nuts n bolts of it, but I've worked on a Spiderman (Black) which came from the UK (50Hz) and there was a dip switch on the CPU for Australia and there were no issues at all.

All seems a bit pointless to me.
You would think it would be cheaper for them just to make one machine that could run all voltages, like the old days.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 08:17:43 PM »
Well that settles it.
After that speadsheet was posted I am looking for one over here.

Pays to shop around, what is the title you're after...

I would suggest contacting Joe - http://www.amusements4kids.com.au/-Machines-for-Sale-.html
Try Bumper Action in Melbourne - they may have some NIB left - http://www.bumper.com.au
AMD in NSW  - http://www.amdcoinop.com/

I am led to believe that AMD are the ONLY licensed distributor and others get their stock through AMD.  Either way you should be able to find the best price locally from these guys.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 08:23:50 PM »

Pays to shop around, what is the title you're after...

I would suggest contacting Joe - http://www.amusements4kids.com.au/-Machines-for-Sale-.html
Try Bumper Action in Melbourne - they may have some NIB left - http://www.bumper.com.au
AMD in NSW  - http://www.amdcoinop.com/

I am led to believe that AMD are the ONLY licensed distributor and others get their stock through AMD.  Either way you should be able to find the best price locally from these guys.

I'm after a dark knight or a spiderman, tron looks cool but I haven't played it so I dont want to risk purchase. Was going to get a spidey earlier this yr but it fell through...still looking for that elusive first pin at the right price.
I sussed out all those places...bumper has a spidey out of the box..looks sweet... but at $8k...no thx.

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 08:29:29 PM »

How do they do it?

All seems a bit pointless to me.
You would think it would be cheaper for them just to make one machine that could run all voltages, like the old days.

I've do it many times, but the title would have to be worth it or worth it to you anyway ?
I've saved money every time , that's why I do it .And if I find a another NIB title I want I would do it again  .