Author Topic: Color DMD?  (Read 106235 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: Color DMD?
« Reply #240 on: January 15, 2016, 10:15:21 AM »
Wow, looks incredible peter! You must be stoked with it!
I played an ACDC in a pizza joint (name escapes me) in Sydney a while back with one of these LCD screens in it and if I had an ACDC I'd be whacking one of these in too. So much better than the standard DMD. Are the LCD screens available for another title?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #241 on: January 15, 2016, 10:44:09 AM »
Not cheap - but they make a massive difference. Most High End Restorations we are doing incorporate this display.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline DSB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #242 on: January 15, 2016, 11:21:22 AM »
My colour DMD on my Indiana Jones started to play up, I had a case of random pixels appearing. After a check I found removing the data ribbon cable and refitting it solved the issue.

Interesting, I had a funny issue in my Indy as well. The machine tilted during the mine cart video mode and the screen reverted to mono colour until I depowered the machine. A great product though.

Are the LCD screens available for another title?

They are all LCD screens. The colour DMD brand has a few different modes. Small dots, Large dots, and a smooth look as in the ACDC below. I like the large dot look myself in the 90's machines.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Color DMD?
« Reply #243 on: January 15, 2016, 11:54:17 AM »
I played an ACDC in a pizza joint (name escapes me) in Sydney a while back with one of these LCD screens in it and if I had an ACDC I'd be whacking one of these in too. So much better than the standard DMD. Are the LCD screens available for another title?

Cheers-they do tons of titles for B/W and Stern :) Randy was saying they have a team of contract guys that do the coloring so that's why titles are being released very quickly. $652 landed at my house not cheap but what is cheap when it comes to this hobby lol. In my eyes money well spent. Very easy to install took about 15-20 minutes.

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #244 on: January 15, 2016, 04:15:39 PM »
looks great Pete, I'm moving away from the bolt on mods etc you can spend 100's on that stuff, Just the color DMD is fine with me now & you can move it along to the next purchase & up load the code, even if you sell your old dmd 100-200$ nice $$ kick start to the color unit  ^^^

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #245 on: January 15, 2016, 04:22:01 PM »
They look sensational.. clarity of image alone puts these way above any pixelated DMD and I cant for the life of me work out why they are not standard in a modern pinball machine.
I bought my wife an Acer notepad last year with large touch screen LCD for just over $500..
They are standard in ANY smart phone.. basic Samsung with touch screen can be got for $300 at any phone shop.
These should be cheap to buy!

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #246 on: January 15, 2016, 05:34:22 PM »
My colour DMD on my Indiana Jones started to play up, I had a case of random pixels appearing. After a check I found removing the data ribbon cable and refitting it solved the issue.

Interesting, I had a funny issue in my Indy as well. The machine tilted during the mine cart video mode and the screen reverted to mono colour until I depowered the machine. A great product though.

Are the LCD screens available for another title?

They are all LCD screens. The colour DMD brand has a few different modes. Small dots, Large dots, and a smooth look as in the ACDC below. I like the large dot look myself in the 90's machines.

Thanks for the feedback, that's a nice lot of options. I really like the flat mode myself.

Cheers-they do tons of titles for B/W and Stern :) Randy was saying they have a team of contract guys that do the coloring so that's why titles are being released very quickly. $652 landed at my house not cheap but what is cheap when it comes to this hobby lol. In my eyes money well spent. Very easy to install took about 15-20 minutes.

Agreed, money well spent. Best DMD era mod out there.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #247 on: January 15, 2016, 07:11:18 PM »
Looks great Peter, I'm sure it enhances an already fantastic experience playing this title. My guess this is still your most played and favourite in the line up?
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #248 on: January 15, 2016, 09:04:16 PM »
Looks great Peter, I'm sure it enhances an already fantastic experience playing this title. My guess this is still your most played and favourite in the line up?

Cheers Rob-yes mate ACDC is still my favourite game an absolute classic, gotta say The Walking Dead is a very close 2nd both coded by Mr Lyman Sheets.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #249 on: January 15, 2016, 10:30:11 PM »

Cheers Rob-yes mate ACDC is still my favourite game an absolute classic, gotta say The Walking Dead is a very close 2nd both coded by Mr Lyman Sheets.
looks like Lyman may be your man. I must admit I like a lot of the games he has coded. Dunno if its because he's a great player and so knows what people would like or maybe he's hard working and dedicated to the industry. He sounds like a nice guy too
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #250 on: February 18, 2016, 04:30:34 PM »
Tron gets the treatment.

Looks like most of Stern's back catalogue will get a multi colour display before their current model has one.

Great look for such an innovative company.  #@#

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #251 on: February 21, 2016, 06:07:58 PM »
After trying the different features of the color DMD  on my ACDC I've decided to leave it on color dots :) like the original DMD but color. I also like how it doesn't have the glare like the red screens. Its great how it gives you the options to change the display.

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #252 on: February 21, 2016, 06:49:49 PM »
If you are after just dots, there is a new option called pin2dmd that will be far cheaper. It will require some diy though.

I have grabbed a couple and will be experimenting over the next little while.

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #253 on: March 16, 2016, 01:20:29 AM »
POTC off the port bow.

plus CV in testing now with new 128x32 LED panels in order to fit the machine's DMD location.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #254 on: March 16, 2016, 04:06:13 AM »

plus CV in testing now with new 128x32 LED panels in order to fit the machine's DMD location.

Great, just I was planning to save money this year