Author Topic: Color DMD?  (Read 106133 times)

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Color DMD?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »
EDIT: Heads up as to the ROM version requirements also:
Game ROM Version: 1.13b

Ok, I have just clarified this with the manufacturer, Randy Perlow.

They ONLY tested the colordmd with rom revision 1.13b and no other, but he sees no reason why it will not work with previous rom revisions (even back to the original production rom 1.0 version).

It will NOT cause any damage by using an older ROM version, but there MAY be some DMD sequences that are not fully in colour - in which case you will need to upgrade your rom version to 1.13B.

I am still running 1.0, so I will give feedback on any differences found to the AP forum and the ColorDMD staff once the Colordmd arrives and I have tested it out.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 03:59:22 PM »
Thanks for all the info, useful stuff.

Be worth grabbing the 1.13b though for your game. Another thing it does is tune down the pop bumpers a little to same breakages. The light show is enough to make it worthwhile though.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 10:08:36 PM »
Interesting tidbit of info I picked up on this interview with the Colordmd inventors on pinballhead.com.

The Color DMD even though machine specific, can be used in another machine to display a different single colour only on any other WPC machine (green CV, blue Whitewater, yellow Indiana Jones, purple Monster bash for example)

http://pinballhead.com/a-talk-with-colordmd-founders/

PH: Will ColorDMD units be interchangeable by switching colorization code or does one unit only work for that title?

Randy: We’ve gotten this question a lot, and we’re still considering it. For now, they will not be interchangeable. Our current mission is to try to get as many hardware platforms out there as we can. We’d like you to have a ColorDMD in both your AFM and your MM.

However, we have added a feature to the ColorDMD that people might find almost as interesting. Using the integrated menu system, the display can be put into a mode where it behaves like a programmable single color display. This means that you could take the ColorDMD out of your AFM, stick it in another WPC/WPC95 game and set the color to anything that pleases you. Blue White Water? Purple WCS94? You name it.

Must give this a try when it arrives.  ()

Offline Replay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 07:33:48 PM »
arrived today, will install tomorrow(Friday) and update, hopefully with a vid

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 08:37:35 PM »
arrived today, will install tomorrow(Friday) and update, hopefully with a vid

How can you possibly wait that long? I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing I had it in the box waiting to be installed  :lol

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 08:47:25 PM »

How can you possibly wait that long? I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing I had it in the box waiting to be installed  :lol

You said it Matt, I'm biting my nails waiting for a PM from Pete that ours have arrived!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 09:09:38 PM »
ColorDMD arrived today.

Installation is easy and takes about 15 minutes - comes with step by step instructions just in case.

Well worth the $$$.  ^^^

Roll on MM ColorDMD.....
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:22:06 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2012, 12:25:46 AM »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 09:14:53 AM »
That looks excellent. Thanks for sharing Replay.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »

That looks fantastic!! C'mon Pete, did our arrive?  ^&^

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 11:14:37 AM »
Looks excellent .. the game is kinda reborn  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2012, 04:13:00 AM »
it even looks better in the flesh. I really enjoyed playing that game. only problem is you end up wanting to watch the colour display while you are playing.
It was easy to install. But there was a minor mistake in the installation instructions, the instructions tell you you to unplug J604 and J605 on the AV board but if you disconnect J605 you not only disconnect the high voltage A.C.input for the old Plasma DMD you will also end up disconnecting the A.C. for the sound amp. So I removed F601 & F602 so the HV section is no longer live.

The colour dmds also have mounting holes for WPC and an option in the menu for WPC or WPC-95 configuration so if we are lucky there may also be some of these released for some the WPC titles  $#$

if they ever release one for STNG I will be buying one for sure
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2012, 06:34:09 PM »
This unit is awesome
It only took 15 minutes to install. Very simple

A colored display makes such a huge difference, the youtube clips do not do the display justice
When they do another run I will grab two more just to have colored displays in my other games

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »
Huge thanks to PB Pete for making the trip over with the colour DMD. I was not planning to instal it until tonight so we could chat and play a few games, but he egged me on with "only take 15 minutes" until I was ready to pop and couldn't wait any more! Well it took us about five minutes because we didn't read the instructions with the benefit of Pete having already done his.

And the results - amazing!! We took turns playing a couple of games so we could really watch the animations - saw some things I didn't realize were in the mono-colour version. I am not big on mods, but this really does add to the game experience. I was thinking about how CV with the under glass DMD would really benefit. Will be interesting to see what Stern does to catch up, even our old B/W's are going LCD!! :)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2012, 08:34:15 PM »
Sounds like a great improvement, look forward to checking it out one day  *%*