Author Topic: BSD flipper fault causes a cue jump on next project!!  (Read 545 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
BSD flipper fault causes a cue jump on next project!!
« on: July 01, 2011, 01:35:55 PM »
OK, so I'm playing a game and going really well - next thing the left flipper starts acting up - WTF!

Lift the playfield, snoop around looking for the obvious, broken wires, diodes across the coil - the usual suspects. Nothing. Look in the backbox at the fliptronics board, connectors all seem OK, nothing is obviously frizzled????

Go back to basics and start at the actual switch. I remember that these optos do cause problems on the actual flipper button board so I rip it out and lo and behold - the board is covered in corrosion! I cleaned it up as best I could and resoldered a few suspect joints. Bridged one track that was very suspicious. Put it all back together and BINGO! All spot on. So in this case the optos are fine but the PC board has corroded.

I trawled the usual suppliers and the best price I could find was $34 each - ridiculous for such a small board with 2 resistors, 2 optos and a connector on it!

So this became the next Homepin project - jumping the cue of other boards we are making. Artwork is complete and already submitted to the PCB fabrication factory. Finished boards should be about 2 weeks and I estimate a pair should cost about $39, maybe a few dollars more depending on the final costs.

We added some test points for checking 12V right at the board and also have made up a laser cut insulator to install between the board and the metal flipper actuator to help prevent a repeat of the corrosion.

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
A pair for the price of one your really goin to start shaking things up mike well done

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Good one again  Mike.  ^^^

Any plans to do a combo board to replace Williams SYS6 CPU and Driver boards .. or it could be a SYS7 board .. specifically I ask with Firepower in mind   && but there's also Gorgar  etc   

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
It was pointed out to me by an astute reader that I had the part number wrong - I was able to quickly supply revised artwork to the PCB factory - Whew....

No changes other than the part number:::

Offline RatBag

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
Good work and a fair price,could never understand why type1 PCb's where so expensive compared to type2's #*#

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Nice work again Mike  ^^^

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
You are making me jealous with all these remakes.
looks like i might have to start making some artworks up my self.

Well done on another useful board.

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Redback

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Keep up the good work,

Red
Found hobby, now need coin

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Another great product, Mike - well done !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
I've laser cut a couple of dozen sets of 'fishpaper' insulators ready for the arrival of the blank boards:

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Hi there

let me know when they are in and ready for dispatch as I am having problems with my white water and would like to buy a set.
Re thread,
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=6770.0
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Hi there

let me know when they are in and ready for dispatch as I am having problems with my white water and would like to buy a set.
Re thread,
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=6770.0

should only be a couple of weeks as they are pretty simple. I am also waiting for the 7 pin .100" connector but I already have the optos in stock.