Author Topic: PIC programming  (Read 611 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
PIC programming
« on: July 03, 2011, 11:08:23 AM »
Looks like im finally embracing the future and so im learning how to program a PIC chip.
Armed with a very expensive book from Jaycar ( US$29.95 on the back... scans at UA$59.95 at counter!).. im reading up.

I know a lot of you already use PIC and so id like to pic your brains if possible.

I did basic at school some 30 years ago... its pretty piss easy so i have no problems with that... my question is do i really have to buy
PicBasic Compiler at US$100 and then an EPIC Programmer at another US$50  or so??

Is there a cheaper way to do this at all??

Guess i should have stolen the program when i was 14 eh?

Cheers all.....

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: PIC programming
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 12:11:31 PM »
AFAIK (and I am no expert!) you can program them with the GQ4X programmer, no adapters needed.
They cost around $90 from mcumall.
As I said I am no expert but haven't found a chip yet that I can't program realatively easily, and I knew nothing about the subject when I started.
Hope that is of some help to you, but no doubt there are experts here!
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 12:25:27 PM »
I write all programs using Notebook (free with Windows) Then compile it with MPASM (Free download from the Microchip site) - The best programmer I have found is a USB compatible Pickit2 (I believe there is now version 3?) - from an eBay seller for about $70 with software.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:14:38 PM »
What little I can do, I've done with AVR chips rather than pic because back when I started, it was free software (and pretty nice too) from the AVR website while the PIC stuff was still pricey. I don't know for sure, but from what I'm hearing it may be that the PIC company (Microchip?) figured that out and offers something free now, but I'm not sure. Another thing about AVR is that their chips are supposed to be more universal across the board while the PIC stuff needed a different compiler or programmer or whatever to suit several different chips.

TI has also figured out that there is a fairly good market in the hobbyist community and they have been aiming some of their stuff at that market. I think TI is by far the least expensive to deal with. They have some pretty interesting technology going for it too, such as extremely low power requirements, i.e. little batteries lasting for years. Anyway, unless you're already committed, you might check them out too with the MSP430 Launchpad development board: http://e2e.ti.com/group/msp430launchpad/w/default.aspx

Here's a pretty good place to ask about particulars:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/
Use their search first unless you have a specific question (such as "Does PIC still require a $100 compiler?" etc.) because they get the "which chip is best?" question about every two days.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 02:36:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Mike... FREE software..... anything that is free im interested, so will download.

Ive found my old Willem Eprom programmer... i never did have much luck with it, but i did get the upgrade kit from Owen @ pinball Fixers... this then turns it into a much better model.
Guess i need to find the upgrade kit now.. its here somewhere

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 02:55:06 PM »
I have never used this, as I was learning assembler which for simpler projects is better anyway so that you can understand what the PIC is capable of, but it may be worth a look: http://gcbasic.sourceforge.net/

These might be worth pursuing as well, depending on if you plan to generate code for commercial use or not:-

http://picforge.interfree.it/
http://www.xcprod.com/titan/XCSB/
http://melabs.com/resources/win_ide.htm

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »
Found the programmer....... found the upgrade kit.

Lost the instructions  ^&^

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 04:46:13 PM »
Think the instructions are all downloadable from the site mate, even older ones

http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/mcumall_download.asp

of use link to forums from the page above.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 05:04:35 PM »
Thanks for the link.. will come in handy.

But the instructions i need are for the component upgrade that Owen worked out.
The Willem programmer ( mine cost $15) and the Wellon ( i think thats the one) are essentially the same.
Willem is inherent with problems..... Wellon is some $175.

The kit i have has some new cap values, an inductor, zener etc... these replace components on the existing Willem board and it becomes exactly the same as the expensive Wellon but at bargain basement price.

Ingenious eh?? Well yes if you know what to replace!

Offline Redback

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 08:14:32 PM »
My question is what do you want to program the pic to do.

Value for money, I'd be considering the Arduino, free software and usb programmable.
Easy to source Jaycar, Element 14 and little bird (also available in a dot net version)

Also I'd suggest the Propeller chip.

I have the TI Launch pad, it was the best value for money $4.30 posted with usb cable (and two chips to program).  However is the last one I'll look at learning to program.

Lots of info on the net,

Red
Found hobby, now need coin

Marty Machine

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 08:57:34 PM »
Hi Gav,

I've done a lot of PIC stuff, used (built) various pic-programmers (which all seem to cover a large range of chips).
Good PICs to start with (covered in most pic books) are 16F84 (18pin,13 i/o bits) and the 16F877 (40pin, 31 i/o bits).

I use picbasic pro compiler (paid) but you can download the free version with some limitations that wont affect you as a newbie.
The programming interface itself (which communicates with picbasic pro) is 'code designer lite' (free).

On another note, i also play a bit with 'picaxe' which is simply a PIC chip with built-in code to allow you to connect directly to the chip and program it via the serial port while it's still in your project (no more pulling chips in/out).

MM.

Offline pulstar

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 11:24:44 PM »
I use the Pickit3 (as suggested by Mike), cheapish and easy to use, plus its usb and runs directly from the Microchip software. I also use the free microchip software MPASM, and program in assembler.... there's not too many commands to learn. Just design your board with a pin header that matches the pickit and it just plugs in... leave it plugged in all the time and make program changes as you go!  My apprentice also bought a 16F877 starter board ... red in color off ebay for like $10 and it already has the pin header to match.... plus rs232 and some leds on the outputs. The processor nearly costs that on its own.

Marty Machine

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 02:41:20 PM »
off ebay for like $10
why do people use the word "like" as a fill-in everywhere?

why don't people say what the mean.....

..... off ebay for $10
or
..... off ebay for around $10
or
..... off ebay for approx $10

it's like stupid, when they do that   !*! !*! !*! !*! !*!   :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

MM

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »

..... off ebay for $10

Impossible - eBay don't sell things

or
..... off ebay for around $10

same, see above....

or
..... off ebay for approx $10

Like, I've already told you twice - what is is you, like don't understand?  <.>

I bought the item FROM an eBay seller

or

I found the item for sale on eBay for XX$'s

!*!

My pet hate is "I brought it from Gary"
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline arcadoz

• Forum Posts:
  • Country SA
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 07:38:24 PM »
Off Topic:
One of my pet hates is "off of".

E.G.  He bought it off of Ebay.
He got up off of the floor.

-sounds like a stutter.
EM score motors wanted- nonworking, broken, burnt, etc..