Author Topic: 1980 Bally Space Invaders Cleanup  (Read 6308 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: 1980 Bally Space Invaders Cleanup
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2011, 09:47:59 PM »
Your doing a great job here it's looking great.     I was unsure if i should replace the paperwork in my paragon backbox but after seeing yours I think inwill have to.

Wouldn't mind a copy of your display cover they came up great.

Offline Jango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2011, 10:19:22 PM »
No worries mate - PM me your email address and I'll get these to you.  I also did the 2 x cards in my cabinet (pictured in the most recent post).  I went to Officeworks and bought their best quality A4 white cardboard for 20c a page.  Popped it in my printer and used best quality settings and came up great.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2011, 10:30:51 PM »
hey mate looks really good. on my space hawks headbox it looked simular to yours around the edges and joinery, where the wood had some chips and can see the joinery,  i repainted the black around the front, i used some putty to clean, fill the chips and the shrunken joins in corners, and around the entire edges to give back the neat crisp straight edges, like yours i painted black then looked over it and looked so much better, but then went over and puttied up the wood then repainted and looked that much better again, it was prety easy to do might be something you could do.
not that yours looks bad. but it reminded me of mine till i did that, cheers.

did you type up brand new inside cards? thats dedication mate, i was going to paint the inside of mine also but i didnt want to distrupot my old cards. but seeing you have made new cards i think i might follow suit and repaint inside of mine. great inspiration
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:49:15 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2011, 11:23:33 PM »
I found all the cards on the net so definitely not my work.  I think it may have been from that guy who collates them all from many many games etc (FOUND IT)

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2011, 05:35:46 AM »
You are doing a fantastic job mate.  ^^^
Your mpu, solenoid & power rectifier boards are all refurbished and ready to go.
The Acid damage on the MPU was a bit of a mission but I have sorted it for you.
And the 'custom' wiring on the rectifier board, lets say it was a  challenge to get it back to standard wiring .  ^&^
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:59:39 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2011, 08:54:27 AM »
Thanks Beaky - Its very very comforting to know that you have weaved your magic on those boards mate.  Appreciate it..

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2011, 10:54:25 AM »
Thanks Beaky - Its very very comforting to know that you have weaved your magic on those boards mate.  Appreciate it..
No probs mate.
All the headers on all the boards were soldered on the top & bottom of the board.
One of the pads on the top on the power supply was missing so I had to repair it that's why there is a bit of  plastic missing on J3. I will post some before and after pics in another thread and add a link when I get a chance.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline creaper

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, W.A
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2011, 11:30:12 AM »
I like the artwork on these cabs

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2011, 12:47:58 PM »
Your mpu, solenoid & power rectifier boards are all refurbished and ready to go.
And the 'custom' wiring on the rectifier board, lets say it was a  challenge to get it back to standard wiring .  ^&^

mate you do some fantastic work, so you are the guy to talk to if there is problems with boards, ive always had concerns that if they died how i would replace or if repair was possible, now i know the answer.
im loving this thread. not only is good to see people doing up their machines but gives inspiration and ideas on how to do it your self, esp when you a noob like me.
im liking the look of this space invaders machine. looks like a fun game

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2011, 01:07:06 PM »

mate you do some fantastic work, so you are the guy to talk to if there is problems with boards, ive always had concerns that if they died how i would replace or if repair was possible, now i know the answer.
im loving this thread. not only is good to see people doing up their machines but gives inspiration and ideas on how to do it your self, esp when you a noob like me.
im liking the look of this space invaders machine. looks like a fun game
Thanks mate.

There are a couple of us that do board repairs on here.
I mainly do full board restorations + corrosion repairs and make them look and work as close to new as possible, If there are mods that are need to be done due to obsolete parts or design faults then I need to add wires and fit substitute components.

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2011, 10:13:35 AM »
Not drifting of topic too much, but does anyone know what a Spacies would have cost operators back in 1980, and how long it would have taken them to get a positive return on the outlay - just interested to know a little of the history there

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2011, 10:16:14 AM »
That's one for Nino?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2011, 01:52:48 PM »
Not drifting of topic too much, but does anyone know what a Spacies would have cost operators back in 1980, and how long it would have taken them to get a positive return on the outlay - just interested to know a little of the history there

NIB Space Invaders cost around US$800 in 1980 ish. It was put on location in a gamesroom in Reservoir. The first time an "out of order" sign was placed on this machine was because the coin box was full. This was back when it was 5 balls for 20 cents. This machine sat next to a Paragon ("the" paragon I have in my gamesroom), and there has never been a game (before or after) that came close to the earning capacity of these two games.

The first time I saw Space Invaders, I had nightmares about it !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2011, 03:19:24 PM »
What a great answer Nino  Gave me a huge smile  ^^^

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2011, 04:17:43 PM »
Hey Nino - interested to know what you think was the lifespan of such a machine onsite and how long it took to make the USD$800 investment back for the operator - it kmust have been hugely profitable or these guys back then.?.  How long these machines stayed onsite etc..