Author Topic: isopopyl alcohol quality/type question  (Read 1397 times)

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
isopopyl alcohol quality/type question
« on: July 24, 2011, 06:37:46 PM »
For those of us that are crazy enough to clean playfields with ME and IA,
Does anyone else think there is a difference with types of Isopropyl?
I first bought a bottle of Diggers brand from Bunnings, about $8.
Then I got a bottle from Jaycar, twice the size for around $12.
Since then I have found some for approx $25 for 5L.

Here is the question, the Diggers was fine, seemed to work well, albeit that rather bad smell.
Next playfield I attacked I used only the Jaycar stuff, no real smell but thought it was a bit harder to clean with, put it down to a dirtier playfield.
Used the same stuff on my latest playfield, ran out this arvo and opened the new bottle.
Here's the thing, it smelt like the diggers stuff and all of a sudden I find it is cleaning 3 times as fast as the jaycar product.
All 3 brands are marked as 99.9% isopropyl so I figured different smells but just the same stuff.
Apparently not.

Anyone else have similar experience with IA or am I imagining things?
Cheers,
Lets go Brandon!

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: isopopyl alcohol quality/type question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:14:50 AM »
Maybe the different smell could be that they put something in it to stop people drinking it. Yeah I know why would you want to considering its cheaper to buy proper alcohol but I believe they used to put special stuff in metho for the same reason, but this stuff is quite cheap obviously when you buy it by the gallon. *!@ dunno just a thought.

Offline ///

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth WA
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 02:28:41 AM »
I've not used the Diggers, and the Jaycar stuff was added to their stock long after I left the company, but I have used the DSE (Dick Smith) stuff for a couple of years now.. strong smell and works a treat.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 11:10:54 AM »

I used to use Isocol, which was only 68% Alcohol. I use the Jaycar Isopropyl alcohol and it worls a treat. I've not seen the diggers brand at bunnings, but I might give it a go next time I'm there. They should all be the same if they are marked as 99.9%
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 12:54:20 PM »

I used to use Isocol, which was only 68% Alcohol. I use the Jaycar Isopropyl alcohol and it worls a treat. I've not seen the diggers brand at bunnings, but I might give it a go next time I'm there. They should all be the same if they are marked as 99.9%

so this type alcohol is fine on the paint on the play field? and is this a good way to clean up after removing old mylar? i have been wondering what products to use. and for that reason have left old looking mylar on the playfeild of my rock machine incase i couldn't clean it up and i opened up a tin of worms with residue i could not remove any potentially hurt paint on playfield.

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 02:50:08 PM »
I am using the Isopropyl with Melamine Foam to get the ground in dirt off the playfield.
When I removed the mylar I cleaned up with Shellite, available Bunnings.
Another tip from I got from Nino!
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 03:19:09 PM »
I am using the Isopropyl with Melamine Foam to get the ground in dirt off the playfield.

Ok great thank you.
now i know what can be used i will remove the mylar, on the machine in question has mylar in three sections, look like it was kit or something, only one section of mylar looks crappy so ill make a template in cardboard to match the original, section then re mylar that,
cheers for the tips on cleaning it after wards, who is the best person to buy mylar from?

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 03:49:40 PM »
Haven't used Mylar myself sorry mate.
Someone else will reply soon with where to buy it Im sure!  #@#
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 04:19:27 PM »

Ok great thank you.
now i know what can be used i will remove the mylar, on the machine in question has mylar in three sections, look like it was kit or something, only one section of mylar looks crappy so ill make a template in cardboard to match the original, section then re mylar that,
cheers for the tips on cleaning it after wards, who is the best person to buy mylar from?

I was in the industry in the 'olden days' and what is often called "mylar" is actually cheap contact. I worked for a couple of large operators and that's what they both used - plain old clear contact. If your machine is an import model then it 'might' have mylar but if it's an Australian delivered machine I'll bet it is just contact.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 04:31:26 PM »
When using ME/IA be very careful with the paint, and it probably depends on the vintage of the machine as different paints were of course used over the years.

I found using ME/IA was great to remove ball swirl, but it can be alot of work.  There are times when you've had enough,  but press on to get the job done.  But ..... you need to be careful not removing paint.  After using for short periods, it pays to check the ME now and then for any signs of paint (I got caught out a few times going too hard and too far).

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 04:32:38 PM »

Ok great thank you.

I was in the industry in the 'olden days' and what is often called "mylar" is actually cheap contact. I worked for a couple of large operators and that's what they both used - plain old clear contact. If your machine is an import model then it 'might' have mylar but if it's an Australian delivered machine I'll bet it is just contact.

mine is an import. what ever it is, it was made just for this game, its not one large sheet, its in sections that have been machine cut to suit certain parts of the playfeild. im not sure maybe im not confident enough to remove it lol think i might just leave it

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 04:32:44 PM »
edit sorry, double post

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 04:52:11 PM »
When using ME/IA be very careful with the paint, and it probably depends on the vintage of the machine as different paints were of course used over the years.

I found using ME/IA was great to remove ball swirl, but it can be alot of work.  There are times when you've had enough,  but press on to get the job done.  But ..... you need to be careful not removing paint.  After using for short periods, it pays to check the ME now and then for any signs of paint (I got caught out a few times going too hard and too far).