Author Topic: Playfield insert wanted  (Read 1084 times)

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Playfield insert wanted
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 05:15:53 PM »
oops....
Lets go Brandon!

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 09:09:23 PM »
Hi Lindsay

Just to give you a idea using cad what the insert would possibly look like without 3D engraving.

The black represents full depth cut of 5.5mm
The cyan would be cut about 2 mm deep first in a circular pattern to get all the inside of the insert down to the same depth.
The dark blue is the "V" cutter at the point going a further 1.5mm beyond the cyan depth meaning that there would be 2mm of meat left between the deepest cut and the top surface.

Note: because I can not do a tapered V cut there will be triangles (cyan) remaining at the 2mm depth mark which travel 2/3's to the centre until the point where they intersect the next high spot of the V cut. I am predicting that the green line will be a taper high spot to the centre due to the v cuts intersecting. In addition the outer inside diameter will look different to the graphic as the dark blue will be 1.5mm less inwards towards the centre.

I am guessing that when the pinball insert companies made there mould they would have machine in reverse getting tight lines to the outer diameters etc, so to machine in reverse will impossible to achieve and like your current insert.

Therefore if I was to go ahead with this, it won't be like the original and will take probably 1hr for the first one to get it close to this based that my cutters can do it. In addition the texture underneath where 2mm depth reduction machining has been performed there will be slightly circular patterns, which probably could be lightly flamed to clean up / improved - though this would be experimental as I have never done this before.

Option 2 - machine a flat disc - or someone with a laser cutter could cut a disc having glossy edges and apply a opaque clear pattern sticker underneath to possibly get a similar effect.
Option 3 - get your current insert and lay the top side of the insert down on to a flat smooth piece of steel, glass and apply heat (heat gun / good hairdryer avoiding wrecking the oven) to it to lightly soften to make the insert level out then apply a cold wet rag to secure it in shape. - Note: I have not done this to pinball inserts but have done it to plastic parts for other things, just make sure the top side rests on a very smooth surface as any crap will leave the impression on the insert.

Let me know what you want to do.

Cheers
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 09:37:30 PM »
Hi Lindsay

another option is machine the disc dia and depth reduction and then have your very own custom insert one of a kind with F-14 engraved into it with a circular V groove going from the outer dia to the F-14. Could look cool and definitely original.

Again the dark blue is the deeper cut or the thinner section closest to the top surface and the cyan is the depth reduction surface with the pattern displayed being approximately what it could look like. This target would be strong and doubt that it would sag for a very long time. Also easier to machine.

Let me know.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 01:39:11 PM »
Hi Lindsay

I had a crack at making a custom insert as it is a different design to the original but think it will fit in the theme of the bullseye effect.

I have not used my cnc machine in a while so had a few failures (trying to remember programming again) and the best I could do are what is pictured below:

Photo 1 - photo of the design graphic on the machine
Photo 2 - photo of the plastic starting to be cut
Photo 3 - shows of the inserts from underneath - has been sanded to give a semi cloud effect
Photo 4 - shows the inserts from top side which a clean smooth glossy finish.

I had a few issues with the waste board not being dead level and to level requires sheet machining which is a big job, so there is some every so slight thickness variance. Also because where the sheet of plastic is being held there is some slight difference in v groove surface finish due to slight vibration. In the 4th photo you will notice that this insert is a little more cloudly for the full v groove which I think is better for even ighting and this insert is 5.3 - 5.4mm thick but 62.2 - 62.9mm in dia.

The other insert which is a little clearer in the v groove is 5.0 - 5.1mm thick and 63.1 - 63.2mm in dia.

So with a little extra sand and / or glue for one or the other, either should be better than nothing.

Let me know if still interested and I can send both and you can pick select one and return the other so if someone else ever needs one I can send one to them.

cheers
Jady
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:14:53 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 02:08:42 PM »
Just to add, where the circular v grooves start the cutter plunges and leaves a slight mark because of where it starts and finishes. But you could possibly have these marks lined up in a vertical up or down position so it doesn't stand out. I did the circular design so to fit in with the classic cross hair design and the back side is recessed approximately 2mm to reduce insert plastic bulk but still has a 2mm outer rim.

All in all a little beefier than the original.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:15:44 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 10:03:14 PM »
 Mate you are a legend   @@*  @@*

PM sent
Lets go Brandon!

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 09:10:04 PM »
You guys amaze me!
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 09:13:53 PM »
  :D.  You can make custom inserts that is Awsome