Author Topic: Dramas cleaning playfield  (Read 1576 times)

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Dramas cleaning playfield
« on: August 03, 2011, 06:42:08 PM »
Someone may have some idea.....
Having stripped my playfield, (f-14 Tomcat Williams) I gave it a good old clean, and used ME and IA to get the extra dirt ball swirl etc, came up quite well very happy with the result.
Somewhere along the line I decided to pop the inserts out of the playfield, as the decals, they were decals, had deteriorated somewhat.
Got the inserts out OK, but where I had heated them gently with the hairdryer, the topside of the playfield went a little dull.
Went to clean around the inserts with ME Foam and found the surface had changed and I was now getting something on the eraser.
As MartyJ replied earlier, (thanks mate), the fact that the inserts were decalled would mean that they had been repaired before.

Here is my theory, I believe this playfield has been restored before, perhaps with a Varathane clear over it (or similar) because now the crap turning up on the foam is yellow. I am also starting to think that the whole playfield has a slightly yellow tinge to it. I think I read somewhere that Varathane will come off with the application of heat. What does anyone think? Am I on the right track or am I totally mistaken?
I am now thinking of polishing with novus (seems to clean up the mess) and going lightly over with ME again to see what happens. Anyone with any ideas I am open to anything that may help, I have put too much time into this to just give up now.

Cheers,
Lindsay
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Dramas cleaning playfield
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:05:58 PM »

Varathane is a product that is not typically found in Australia. If your game originally came from the USA, then it is a possibility. Varathane is a water based product, so you could try a variety of products to remove it. Maybe start with White Spirits and work up to Goof Off. Be REALLY CAREFUL with Goof Off. It will remove paintwork and touch up work if you are not careful.

Novus 2 will clean up a lot of the mess. What is the texture like of the playfield ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:09:59 AM »
G'day Nino,
Was using Varathane as a generic type name as I think the CC is water based.
Think the game comes from Europe somewhere, it has had the link removed on the MPU board so it boots in German.
Novus seems to remove most of the mess, but am worried that any remaining CC may affect any new stuff that I put on.
What do you think?
Still don't like using ME foam, scared of going too far, so will try with the Novus first.
Playfield texture is good, before I removed inserts I thought it was ready for touchup and CC. Very pissed off when it screwed up.
This was a cheap dead as a dodo project when I got it, fixed it electrically now trying my first major playfield repair.
Guess I have read too many of your resto threads!
If i bugger it Im not too much out of pocket, Its just that I would hate to wreck a machine, esp when I have put so much time into it.
Cheers,
Lindsay
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 01:02:39 AM »
Whatever you put over the top of it isnt necessarily going to wreck it... its the thinner that does this.
Mainly there are 2 types of 2 pac available... both use hydrocarbons, but both can be dissolved using all purpose thinners. Even Monokan based paints turn to a jelly with all purpose.
If you test an area with a thin blob of all purpose thinners and nothing happens then youll be OK.
If it bubbles or goes slimy to your fingers then you will have to be VERY careful. Bear in mind here that all Purpose pretty much dissolves most things though.

The 2 pac will only eat the under surface away if it has time to eat into it. thats why you spray a VERY thin layer... let dry... then another THIN... let dry.. then another THIN.. etc until youi have enough layers to guarantee that any thick layer thats then applied  will not soften whats already there right through to the very under coat.
So ,long as you do very thin layers, youll be OK.. even if it bubbles in places, it can be sanded out.. its only the dissolved surface giving off gases as it softens.. the surface remains, but you just made a compound with it.
Whatever you do if you CC will be a bit of a gamble, but with patience it can be done

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:14:26 AM »
OK sounds like I might be able to save it anyhow.
Will try a bit of thinners when I get a chance just to see.
Thinking about it, after I used the heat on the underside of the playfield, next time I cleaned with ME
the residue was a little slimey, perhaps this is a clue?

As a side note, do we have any waterbased sealers in this country that are suitable for playfields?
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:25:26 AM »
Lindsay - Any chance you could post some pictures ? I'm curious as to exactly what the problem area looks like.

Water based clears ? I don't know of any that have been used on Pinball playfields.

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:05:55 PM »
Nino, tried to photograph but no joy it just doesn't seem to come out.
This pic shows what comes off my previously cleaned playfield.
It is yellow looking and slightly sticky.
Picture is blurry but it is on a white cloth.
This came off with Isopropyl only and a medium hard rub.
The more I think about it the more it would seem to be an aftermarket clearcoat that has slightly yellowed.
Where I removed the Mylar pieces, the original paint seems a little less yellow.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 07:19:21 PM »
Thats VERY yellow... sure its not paint?

If it comes off with isopropol.. then carry on.. just make sure you ae not taking off any touch ups though

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 07:37:43 PM »
100% its not paint mate, as I said the pictures I took really struggled.
I know its not paint because the section of the playfield I got it off was blue.
As i said before the playfield was cleaned, not till I used the hairdryer underneath did this crap turn up.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 04:56:25 PM »
Might have found a way to take a pic.
This insert shows the decal is yellow and crazed.
I believe this is the crap that I am trying to get off the playfield.
Also see the deep scratches in the insert, any ideas? perhaps too hard a sand back by the previous owner?
I have spent most of the weekend with Novus 2 trying to get this stuff off the playfield, as I am worried it might affect the new clearcoat, even if I use Retropins method of very fine spray first.
What does everyone think? I reckon it must be some kind of clear put over the surface.
I have not touched the pictured insert, that is how it looked whilst installed.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 01:42:17 PM »

I don't think I've ever seen this yellowed material before unless it is tar from cigarettes - but only on the outside of a cabinet, not on a playfield. The fact that it is lifting the inserts suggest it was some sort of clear.

The insert "lines" look like the sanding process of leveling the playfield during manufacturing ?

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 04:52:06 PM »
Ok so looks like we are on the same track. Still cleaning playfield at the moment, gradually getting the yellow off, but it is a slow process.
Tried a little Goof Off too, doesn't seem to be doing any harm but am being cautious.
Thanks for the advice guys.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 01:49:50 PM »
Heres the latest: Cleaned most of the playfield with a light app of Goof off, was a bit scared to go too hard, then swapped to ME and IA again, cleaning regulaly as I went with a clean rag. Seems to be getting close now.
I reckon it definately had a clear coat that yellowed, it was actually applied over the mylar pieces as well.
Just about had enough of this crap, felt like throwing the whole thing out a few times.
My hat is off to you guys that do this all the time, you must have an extremely high patience level!
Lets hope it as all worth it in the end.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 04:58:12 PM »
Sometimes 48... i have to dig deep into the "patience reserve bag" in order to continue.... there are many VERY tedious jobs that must be done.
End result though will speak for itself