Author Topic: FARKING PINBALL NIGHTMARE  (Read 768 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
FARKING PINBALL NIGHTMARE
« on: August 13, 2011, 12:24:17 AM »
 ^&^. Not going into full detail but long story short a truck driver from work asked me about a cheap pinball for his grandkids nice bloke good intentions so I sell him a rebuilt Williams Trizone

New interconnect new EPROMs new pias on both boards everything has run in my shed for months.

Offered to deliver it all the way to Mt Gambier in south australia.    As his idea was to load it into the back of his fridge truck.   Stuff lifting a pinball over my head.

Game had to be dismantled to fit into the house a pain but OK

Put it back together check it over switch it on and start a game sweet we are done.   This guy wanted it to take coins so his grand kids got te enjoyment of putting the coins in for a game.  ( great idea for the kids)

I'd clocked up 40 credits so we could test play it at home.

Wanted to show him it working with the coin mech so decided to turn off the remote battery pack.

And low and behold the bastard would only get as far as audit mode even with the double switch...

No problem I'll take the board home replace the 5101 ( about the only original chip ).    Post it back and he can install it.

Get a phone call half an hour later and the f**kwit decided to turn it on an see if it worked even without the CPU.  Coils lock on kicking out the ball so he thinks it's working and plays a game until he the smoke arrives and the fuse blows.

Cooked driver transistors coils before the fuse finally blew grrrrrrrrrr.  So now I have to repair both boards drive back to SA to replace boards coils and whatever else he has f**ked.

Not happy

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: FARKING PINBALL NIGHTMARE
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 12:35:40 AM »
Very sad story there Daniel .
Sorry to hear about that.
Hope Karma smiles on you for all your trouble helping him out to get it going again.

Are you saying that you had taken the CPU board with you and he still decided to turn the machine on ???

I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 12:40:02 AM »
LOL..... never assume that anyone aint stupid... is my rule in life!

Bit confused though..... why turn off the battery to the 5101?.. i mean i KNOW why you did it, to remove all the credits... but in all honesty.. game was working.. delivered OK...... OK at this point i dont piss about with anything.. its now their responsibility. Personally, i would have dropped a coin.... watched credits go up and gone home.

Kiler though daniel.... you now have plenty of work in front of you

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 01:05:45 AM »
I know Gav.   I should have just walked but the kids were there waiting with coins.  Grrrrrrrrrr

And yes even with the CPU removed and I'd told him more than once it can not be played.     I left everything connected so all he had to do was reconnect the CPU grrrrrrrrrr

All I can say about Karma is she is a bitch.......

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 01:25:49 AM »
Geez, man, you must be tempted to tell him where to go. Knowing you, you'll "do the right thing" even if it isn't what you really should have to do.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 07:32:05 AM »
That's no good Daniel, what a goose to try and have a game with out the CPU, like still wanting to take your car for a spin with one wheel off because it is getting a puncture fixed. ..????
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 09:09:20 AM »
That blows, bet he expects you to look after him regarding the repairs too.

If I remove a board from a machine on site I tape up the power plug to discourage this sort of thing.  Some people are just plain stupid.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 10:35:21 AM »
WOW that sux BIG time!! sorry to hear that Daniel. No doubt you should be able to sort it for him, even though he doesnt deserve it.  

that guy needs his arse kicked for being that dumb  *%*  i dont get how they guy could believe the game would do anything with the MPU removed, and be silly enough to turn it on  ^&^

To me that would be like driving a car with the brakes not working and expecting it to stop  :lol
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:37:48 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 11:38:38 AM »

That's a Darwin award nomination. It is also about the dumbest thing I've heard.

In all honesty, I would repair the board and post it back to him. What I fear is that when you get there, you will have a machine full of fried coils.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 12:24:41 PM »

What I fear is that when you get there, you will have a machine full of fried coils.

*%*

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 01:52:12 PM »
That's why I jumped straight in the car to check out the carnage I have all the boards with me.  If it wasn't so hard to get it into his house I would have just taken it home.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »
That's why I jumped straight in the car to check out the carnage I have all the boards with me.  If it wasn't so hard to get it into his house I would have just taken it home.

You are driving all the way back to SA to fix it straight away - You are too generous mate. I hope he is at least paying for your petrol and time.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 02:26:26 PM »
No mate only from the motel room we stayed in Mt Gambier for the night.    Will be driving back probably next weekend if I can find enough coils and he hasn't caused to much damage to the boards.     I'll be charging him for my time that trip one free 5 hour drive is as generous as I'm willing to be

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 03:10:57 PM »
What a pain in the arse mate, hopefully you can get it all sorted out without too many dramas.
If you are still in Mt Gambier I'd be taking it back home again, even for the dramas of getting it out of his house, heaps easier to sort out at your home. 
Then let him put it in his truck, I'll give you a hand to lift it up into there if you need mate, saves your time and petrol money.

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
What a laugh Daniel.
Load up the car with some Metallica cd's and drive safe.

Stephen.
SC.