Author Topic: Back on the job with my EM "Winner"  (Read 310 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Back on the job with my EM "Winner"
« on: August 17, 2011, 04:43:34 PM »
OK so I had a bit of a cleanup in my shed and decided it was time to get cracking on my Winner EM. I tackled the burnt out 'Lock Relay' today. From memory this relay is energised all the time whenever there is a game playing so it does a pretty long duty cycle.

Here is the relay as I got the game:

I dismantled the relay and removed what was left of the coil - it was a molten mess. Not having a new coil I decided to make my own after the success of the bell coil and motor that I had previously made. Took some accurate measurements from another coil in the machine and drew up some parts:

Then I cut the parts from a 1mm sheet of hobby 3 ply (available at hobby shops)

Rolled a piece of light card and superglued the thing together

Checked that the iron core fitted - nice and snug - PERFECT!

Put a bit of high temperature tape around the light card and wound the coil. Originally it had 1150 turns of 28G wire but the closest I had to hand was 30G (very slightly thinner). I figured if I could squeeze 1200 turns on it would allow the relay to run cooler and perhaps not burn out as quickly??

Managed to fit 1200 turns nicely - only took about 10 minutes winding by hand. All info I could find suggested that this coil should read 14.2 ohms so I was pretty happy to get 26.9 figuring this should really take the pressure of the coil - if it was still strong enough to pull in????

Fitted to the machine

and tested it with my trusty 24V AC transformer - all good and another part of this project completed.

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Back on the job with my EM "Winner"
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »
Great job!!  ^^^

i used to make my own coils from scratch many years ago for my machines when i didnt know where to get new ones from, my home brew Vortex pin still has a few home made coils in it, as well as some hand rewound Stern/Bally coils.

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 05:15:15 PM »
Nice work Mike  ^^^.

The lock relay coil is fried in my Gulfstream , but for now I have just bypassed it by adjusting the relevent NO switches to closed , except for the hold switch which doesn't matter.
It just means that if you haven't finished a game when you turn it off, it will still be in the middle of that game when you turn it back on , plus a couple of other things, that don't matter , eg .. adding a credit via coin switch starts a game instead of adding a credit etc.
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:19:02 AM »

There are two coils that you can bypass for home use machines - the "Hold" and "coin lockout" coils. The main advantage is that you don't hear the constant "hum" of these two coins. The downside is that the machine loses "character" - I like the "hum" of an EM.

Very ingenious, Mike - it should work a treat.

Glad to see you back on the "Winner" - One of my favorite EMs and I'd like to add one to my collection at some stage.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia