Author Topic: NBA Fastbreak can be a cracking game  (Read 199 times)

Offline Replicas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • North West England
NBA Fastbreak can be a cracking game
« on: August 19, 2011, 05:03:40 AM »
NBA Fastbreak has never been anywhere near the top of my fav pin list but...........................................................................................
At this years U.K. Pinball Party we had two linked up together. What a difference this made, it brought  the competitor out in everyone that played it. I have never seen people screaming at a machine before because the clock was running down and you where in the last quarter and 9 points behind your opponent.
As a single player game its ok ish, as a two player Linked game IT ROCKS !
We never had the chance to do this before as its not much of a loved machine and two had never made it to a show before. This year we made sure we got two at the show to link (three turned up in total) and it was one of the high lights of the show.
We will be doing this at the Northern Lights Show in November, what we intend doing is to sell the teams at £10 each (all 29 of them) and have a knockout comp. The winner gets a trophy and the money goes to charity.
If you guys get chance you have got to do this is makes a mid range game awesome.

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
Re: NBA Fastbreak can be a cracking game
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 07:21:02 AM »
If anyone is interested in doing this here is the lowdown.
Both AV boards have pre-exisiting sockets for the communications chips. Populate them with a MAX 239 RS232 , and a 16C350 UART.

You also need the latest Game Eprom v3.1 and a new U2 sound eprom v3.0 installed.

Now you need to link the pins via the brown connector next to the two installed comms chips.

Make a cable of suitable length. You only need two conductors and a ground screen. Connect the ground screen to pin 1, and the data wires to pin 2 and 3, but swap pins 2 and 3 around on opposite ends of the cable. This cable can be routed via the ventilation holes in the top of the cabinet by reoving one of the fixing screws.

Now for the bit thats not so obvious.

On each machine , go to feature adjustments, and set first machine to Player 1, and second machine to Player 2.

Then go to Utilities, Pre-Sets and Select "Install Serial Link 1" on machine one. And "Install Serial Link 2" on machine 2.

If everything has gone to plan, pressing either start button will initiate comms link, wait for a prompt on the second machine, then press the second start button. Now you're playing head to head, and all sounds are synchronised.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 08:06:27 AM »
Cool, I actually quite enjoyed playing Fastbreak as is, but can see how this would make it even better!!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 09:23:28 AM »

Thanks for posting this info, Darren. I have one in storage and I've heard from others that it is a cracker of a game when connected to another NBA Fastbreak.

^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 03:24:03 PM »
Did you get any video of the linked NBAs? there is only one vid on youtube but it isn't the best footage.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 07:58:07 PM »
Would be even cooler if you could somehow tunnel the comms via IP and play over pinheads via the Internet.

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 09:39:02 PM »
Did you get any video of the linked NBAs? there is only one vid on youtube but it isn't the best footage.
Alas no, But we we be linking them at the Northern Lights show in November and will be getting video of it so watch this space.
D.