Author Topic: Data East Flipper PCB damaged part 520-5033-00  (Read 1397 times)

Offline jamjampin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Data East Flipper PCB damaged part 520-5033-00
« on: October 13, 2011, 09:04:54 PM »
Hi Guys,

Had a right flipper on my Hook that wouldn't stay "up" when button pressed and have just found problem.

The Flipper PCB has a part that has come off.
My camera isn't working so downloaded a pcb picture and highlighted the part.
it's that black plastic top part that has 3 legs which go into holes on the board and what looks like 3 electrical parts that will make contact with the board.

When i first discovered the problem the part was attached to the pcb but very loose. It came off easily but now i don't know how to secure it tightly back onto the board.
3 plastic legs go in holes easy but don't want to break or snap anything by forcing it.

How do i do it?
Is there a tool or special way i need to do it?  @@^

Thanks

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: Data East Flipper PCB damaged part 520-5033-00
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 09:20:01 PM »
The "U" shaped aluminium heatsink has the triac (the part with three legs) bolted to it. The triac "legs" go through 3 holes in the PCB and solder to the copper pads on the bottom side to make electrical contact.

The aluminium heatsink has three tabs that poke through holes in the PCB as well and can be (moderatly) secured by slightly bending them however this rarely holds them firmly.

It is common for these parts to be knocked/bumped and break away from the board - sometimes damaging the tracks and maybe breaking the legs on the triac.

EDIT: changed transistor to triac after looking at a three flipper DE PCB I have here. From memory the triac is used to hold the coil in the activated position (low power coil) so your flipper should still activate BUT not hold in??
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:30:51 PM by Homepin »
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 09:26:14 PM »
+1 to what Mike said. Very common on D.E pins when playfields get slid forward and come off the rails and smash the board.

Offline jamjampin

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 09:49:35 PM »
Yes...my play field did slip and come of the rails  !@) It's only now i realise what damage it caused.

So do i have to:
1. unclip the 2 wire housings (is there a way to do this so they don't snap?)
2. unscrew the 4 screws holding board to cabinet
3. take board out
4. put "U" shape black heatsink tabs through holes in board
5. Do i solder the 3 small silver triac "legs" to the front or back of the pcb?

Being the worlds second worse solderer (is that a word). What could possible go wrong  !@)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 10:01:32 PM »
From damaged ones i have seen more components get busted. Remove the board and have a close inspection and check the fuse clips while it's out. Press the fuse gently and most likely it will give way if they have not been changed. If you are confident and have the equipment give it a go but if in doubt perhaps consider if someone can give you a hand

Offline jamjampin

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 10:11:37 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Been researching tutorials on how to solder pc boards and it's out of my league.

If any kind soul in Adelaide is available. I'd be more that happy to bring board to them and cross their palm with gold coin *%* or their favourite liquid refreshment  %$%