Author Topic: Data East ..I cant knock them  (Read 766 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: Data East ..I cant knock them
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 08:18:41 AM »
Data East machine definitely had and still have their place in the pinball world.  They seemed to have the better licensed themes though not saying that they really made the most of those themes e.g Simpsons, Jurassic Park, Rocky & Bullwinkle, TMNT, Hook, BTTF, GnR etc etc, pretty big licenses in their day.

I think they were targetting a certain market, namely kids with their machines and typically easier more straight forward game play and rule sets.

I'd have to agree that once a few bugs are ironed out and the standard repairs done e.g. fuse clips, they prove themselves to be very reliable machines.
Addicted to pins.

Offline m-rots

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lara soon
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 08:32:41 AM »
Unfortunately, Data East games are not seen in the same light as Bally Williams, but I'd match rather own a Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Tommy and Guns N Roses than a Medievel Madness

%.% I wan't what your smoking!

Well guess I smoked it  %.%

This month I have bought a Guns N Roses,Time Machine,Rocky and B,Star Trek and Laser Wars instead of 1 Medieval Madness.
Woudn't trade them for a MM ever.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:35:05 AM by m-rots »

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 08:42:40 AM »
Inhale...exhale.....then please pass this way!
Horses for courses I guess, congrats on your purchases.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 09:27:14 AM »
Unfortunately, Data East games are not seen in the same light as Bally Williams, but I'd match rather own a Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Tommy and Guns N Roses than a Medievel Madness

Medieval Madness and Cactus Canyon are overpriced machines. Circus Voltaire, Theater of Magic, Adams Family and Scared Stiff are all better playing titles in my opinion (and that's all it is). If I had one spot left and it was a choice between MM, CC and Gunners, I'd take the Gunners. 

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 10:15:15 AM »
Gotta agree on CC, that pin would make a very nice albeit expensive boat anchor. TOM has better flow for sure, maybe the best flowing game ever and CV is a trip of a machine both to play and look at.
I'd own a gunners if I was a fan of the band, it's de's best game by far imo.

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 05:44:23 PM »
Tommy is a great game, probably my favourite in the collection at the moment.

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 06:56:06 PM »

"Bang for Buck" - Jurassic Park is one hell of a title.

would have to agree with you Nino.... JP is worth a buck  #@#

gunners and TFTC are two of the best DE games  IMO
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 08:51:07 PM »
I love Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Just a fun straight forward game with great audio. A Data East Classic.  ^^^

One of the best things is the style and era of the displays with TMNT. Fun graphics on the Electronic display. Watch the display whilst someone else is playing and it is really cool. The sewer pop up ball is a neat trick with the spinning pizza also fun. I espescially like the bright reds n green lights on the playfield inserts etc. A real keeper and a pinball wiythout too many distractions. NINJA NINJA NINJA. Love the cool pop bumpers being red/green.etc

Also great cabinet colours. A fun 1990 model. These machines in their day MUST have had alot of coin put thru these titles when on site in 1990 and 1991 thats for sure. Teenagers would have gone nuts for these cause I remember the line up at HOYTS picture theatre in Pitt Street SYDNEY. The line ups were 4 people wide n wrapped around the block. They had 3 or 4 theatres running 16 hrs a day with the same TMNT Movie playing. It was a HUGE licence. Great fun pinball for sure. Mines a keeper.  ^^^ 
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline erx400

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 01:25:39 AM »
I've owned probably 50% of the Data East machines at one point in time.
One of the things I didn't like about DE machines was that they all sounded the same to me.
Brian Schmidt did the music/sound on every game pretty much.

For me troubleshooting problems with them was a lot more effort compared to WMS/Bally.
I had a Jurassic Park that I should have parted out/gave away/burnt I had that much trouble with it.
It turned me off pinball for a while it was that bad for me, Fix one problem another would just spring up.
Went through a couple of rottendog boards with it also. I'd never buy another unshopped/as-is DE game again ever.

I burnt an empty LW3 cab a few months ago from a machine I parted out years ago.
Still have a box full of LW3 parts if anyone needs anything. Have pretty much everything except the cab, boards, pf, gun & topper.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 01:27:23 AM by erx400 »

Offline roundball

• Forum Posts:
  • BNE - The only place to be.
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 10:17:13 PM »
GnR & Tommy will never leave my collection tho   ^^^

I said that once upon a time. Both now Goooone.

No reset issues.?  I have an A13 with the dreaded reset issue..  Replace the BR's, good as gold.

Offline pinmadd

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 06:26:46 PM »
GnR & Tommy will never leave my collection tho   ^^^

I said that once upon a time. Both now Goooone.

No reset issues.?  I have an A13 with the dreaded reset issue..  Replace the BR's, good as gold.

LOL, mate  , Well Tommy could go, But never GnR  *)*

No reset issues, but had to do a BR for insert light's on Tommy, GnR just got new Trifurcon molex plugs for the power supply board as the old plugs had gone crispy  %.%

Well guess I smoked it  %.%

This month I have bought a Guns N Roses,Time Machine,Rocky and B,Star Trek and Laser Wars instead of 1 Medieval Madness.
Woudn't trade them for a MM ever.

LOL, I use to think the same........ Until i got a MM   %$%

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 11:12:32 AM »
I would love to own a MM but it is out of my range price wise.
Luckily for me I have a good mate close by that does have a very nice MM,along with some other very fine pins and whenever we catch up for a few beers a chinwag and some pin we always spend the most time on MM.
It took me a little while to warm to it but once I did...wow, it's an insanely cool machine.