Author Topic: Things I could buy other than pinball machines  (Read 610 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Things I could buy other than pinball machines
« on: September 18, 2011, 01:27:49 PM »
Things I could buy other than pinball machines;

Update the home theater
Take a nice holiday
Landscape the garden
Hire a top end hooker
Buy a ride on mower
Buy a game from someone else

[rant]
Buying a pinball machine is a luxury, nobody NEEDS to own one

Too many vendors thing they are doing US (the buyer) a favor by selling us these machines.
Too often I see lazy vendors offering goods but not making it attractive for me to purchase a game through them.
I see no pictures provided
I see a few lines sent via e-mail, no information other than price
A copy/paste of somebody else’s sales pitch

If I am buying something over two grand, I do not think it is unreasonable to expect more than just an electronic box
How about some delivery?
How about setup?
How about replying to questions asked?

If you want to be a business person and import games, you need to stand out from the rest
Customer service would be a plus

Nobody HAS to buy your games

[/rant]

Pete
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 02:06:28 PM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: Things I could by other than pinball machines
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 01:36:57 PM »
Had a bad experience recently have we?  %.%
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 01:43:11 PM »
Ok Pete, tell us what has happened to you? Someone or something has obviously upset you VERY much??

Jeff

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 01:57:45 PM »
I agree Pete, do to others what you like done to you......
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 02:03:38 PM »
Had a bad experience recently have we?  %.%

<.>
No
I see a lot of people are in the game of selling pinball machines
But a lot of them seem to come across to me as being lazy, that they are doing us a favor by selling us these games, and we should be grateful that they are offering them at such low-low prices

Offline wizo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Elanora
Re: Things I could buy other than pinball machines
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 03:36:31 PM »
Well said Pete  ^^^

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 04:28:13 PM »
Pete, Maybe you are being too polite. lol  !@#
(general comment below for newer people to overcome unhappy transactions)
When you have thousands of dollars in your hand, you expect the royal treatment. This economy isnt the best, so again, you would think that sellers would be bending over backwards to look after you, but it still dont happen with all of them. I still have 2 x melbourne sellers who I always am happy to do business with and buy machines etc. When ya find someone with a 100 percent success rate, stick with them. And even other members have proven great sellers to work with.

I never really bother to negotiate on a pinball machine at all, rather, I say I will pay u full price but I expect the machine to arrive in XYZ condition as a minimum with XYZ etc etc etc. I have never been let down yet where a simple resoloution hasnt been met, if AT ALL needed.

Pete, I am not saying this is you, but I think the three mistakes newer pinball people generally make when buying a machine, is that they
1. fail to say in a nice way "I know what I am doing and I am a seasoned collector so dont Fark with me and try n jack me with a junker " and
2. I know the Industry prices so be realistic and dont ask for silly money
3. Pinball buyers try n screw the sellers a little too hard, thus pissing the seller off leading to lousy service next time u call.

If none of this applys to the seller, then he is probably just a lazy bastard on the day and/or he was having a crappy day. (or he is always a wanker.lol)
When you have money to spend, be firm, polite and scream from the rooftops what you expect and require, or tell the seller to get rooted. Works for me.  %.% %.% %.% %.%
P.S _ just add alcohol, fixes most things in pinball.
AND my wife has a very long list of stuff to buy instead of pinballs. Her lists are as long as a toilet roll. Dont ask her for the list, you will be reading forever.  %.%
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:32:23 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Chad

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 04:39:02 PM »
I still have 2 x melbourne sellers who I always am happy to do business with and buy parts/machines etc.

hey cavey, one of the dealers your are referring to is obviously Mark but who is the other one ?

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »
I still have 2 x melbourne sellers who I always am happy to do business with and buy parts/machines etc.

hey cavey, one of the dealers your are referring to is obviously Mark but who is the other one ?

I wanna know the 2nd also Brett cause there some real @#$$%%^^ selling pinballs.

Peter

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 06:28:17 PM »

The biggest problem with "established" dealers and "backyarders" is the impression they give that they ARE PINBALL enthusiasts to begin with. Llike any industry, it is driven by profit. The more they make, the happier they are. To increase profits, shortcuts are made and then we arrive at the "lazy" dealer. The single biggest issue I've seen in the industry is product knowledge, and an inate "ability" to price a machine without knowing the real value. Each machine should always be priced on its condition, not the sale of the last machine sold on eBay - or some ficticious private sale. Case in point - just look at the same pinballs that are relisted on eBay. Not once or twice, but FOR YEARS. This a reason this happens, and this trend will continue.

The level of service has dropped considerably, and this is due to many competing dealers and backyarders. Some of the "cover ups" are dodgy workmanship is simply embarassing. Did any ever believe the BS posted once that "all the remaining machines in Europe have been snapped up by us.." ? How many containers have landed since that deceiving diatribe ? Now there are more and more hobbyists buying containers and selling their games. Competition is fierce, and reputations are forged. Prices drop, but alarmingly, so has the quality of workmanship. Lots of newbies are getting caught out, and if you are a pinball tech, there's HEAPS of work around at the moment.

Pete - Sorry to hear of your issues - But as many are finding out, the hobbyist aspect of the industry has changed and will continue to do so. The best thing to do is learn from your experiences and try other dealers and backyarders until you are happy. It should be a priveldge to sell collectors and enthusiasts with high quality games, but unfortunately, a high percentage of sellers don't see it that way.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 07:33:51 PM »

I wanna know the 2nd also Brett cause there some real @#$$%%^^ selling pinballs.

Peter

the 2 x sellers are not current sponsors so i cant name them. sorry.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 07:35:09 PM »
Pete - Sorry to hear of your issues - But as many are finding out, the hobbyist aspect of the industry has changed and will continue to do so. The best thing to do is learn from your experiences and try other dealers and backyarders until you are happy. It should be a priveldge to sell collectors and enthusiasts with high quality games, but unfortunately, a high percentage of sellers don't see it that way.

It  is OK Nino, this is a thought that has been percolating in my head for a while

Like a few others here, I have a collection that is (IMHO) pretty good, I do not NEED to buy anymore games

I know with my own business, it pays to maintain a relationship with your customers, a little respect goes a long way

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 07:42:17 PM »
Pete, just tell us who pissed u off.  && &&

The Pinball Confessional is open my son. !  %.% %.%

** I see you have a picture of 3 girls with BIG JUGS holding beers.  ^^^ ^^^

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 07:52:29 PM »

** I see you have a picture of 3 girls with BIG JUGS holding beers.  ^^^ ^^^

I think I might have to move to Germany

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 09:07:58 PM »
The alternate view is that maybe sellers (ebay or otherwise, not including dealers) are just offering at an elevated price (to some/most buyers) as "everything is for sale at the right price"... and not because they desperately need to sell it?

Example - i listed a couple of pins in the local paper a few years back, a guy walked in and saw my TZ, i didn't really want to sell it, he asked how much and i said $6500 (it was in very good nick but not mint) and he gave me the cash and both were happy.