Author Topic: New member - Canberra  (Read 2664 times)

Offline andtan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
New member - Canberra
« on: October 11, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd better introduce myself seeing as I've clocked up over 8 hours of forum time. My name is Andy, and I live in Canberra.

I've decided it's about time to get a Pinball (or two) again. I used to have a Tommy, and Cactus Jack, but due to moving and a lack of space I had to give them up, which is something I now regret.

Initially I was just considering saving up for a couple of machine to play (The Getaway HSII and Star Trek - TNG), but after reading quite a few posts, and looking at the work you guys do, I have decided I'd also like to try my hand at a bit of restore work. If I could only do half as well as some of the examples I've seen, I'd be happy!

I don't have any experience in restoration and repair, so I've been reading as many posts as I can to build up some background knowledge. At the moment I'm trying to work out what would be a good machine to start on - something that I can actually get parts for and have a real good chance at finishing. I saw an F-14 Tomcat on e-Bay, but think my desire might be outweighing my ability at this point. Any advice on what to stay away from etc would be most appreciated.

Hopefully I can find a suitable machine to start off on soon, and I look forward to picking your collective minds for some tips.... er, well it's probably going to be more than 'tips' for a while!!

Cheers,

Andy

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: New member - Canberra
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 09:31:32 PM »
Welcome Andy %)%

You will find all the help and information you need here on the forum. There are some extremely talented people here(unfortunately I am not one of them !!!) that can assist you if you were to tackle a restoration!

Anyway good luck.

Jeff

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 09:39:58 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Jeff,

I have noticed that the guys on here are quite helpful and often go the extra mile to help out - something you don't see too much of these days.

Andy

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 09:51:06 PM »

$.$ Andy and  %)% to Aussie Pinball !

Great intro post. Getaway would be a great machine to revisit pinball. ST TNG is a good player, but quite difficult for your first game (from a restoration point of view). Really depends on your budget and availability of games in your area. Maybe buy a working game to play and enjoy (initially), and then as your knowledge increases, it will give you confidence to buy a project game.

anyway - enjoy the forum - we share the knowledge and passion !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 10:00:10 PM »
Welcome Andy,
Definitely alot of very helpful people here as you have noticed. I agree with Nino (Strangeways) about getting a player and then a resto machine so you have something to play, enjoy and keep you motivated and then a 2nd resto machine to work on over a period.
Look forward to hearing what machine/s you get.
Jady
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:06:20 PM »
Welcome Andy! I agree as well- a player and a project is a great way to go. If you keep to the same board set that can be very helpful in tracking down problems.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 10:15:57 PM »
Hi Strangeways / Swinks,

I agree, I'm definately looking at getting one in good condition that I play first up, then after that one to work on. ST TNG wasn't going to be a restorer - just thinking about trying to tackle something like that makes my head spin :D

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 10:26:30 PM »
Welcome Andy! I agree as well- a player and a project is a great way to go. If you keep to the same board set that can be very helpful in tracking down problems.

Hi pinnies4me,

As I'd like to get a Getaway HSII for my player, would you be able to list some titles that have the same board set, and would be a suitable 'beginners' project machine? I suppose as part of increasing my knowledge, I should ask my first nooby question - what board set does a Getaway have?

Andy

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 10:29:46 PM »
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. %)%

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 11:22:33 PM »
All these would be identical to HS2 I think -
Black Rose
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Doctor Who
Fish Tales
Twilight Zone
White Water
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 12:31:44 AM »
Hi and welcome.  Take your time and don't rush into anything would be my advice. There are a fair few guys that have machines in Canberra, hopefully an opportunity will come up to get to know a few. Steer clear of the local retailer/s. Good place to go and have a look at some machines but check with the guys here before parting with any cash. Best place to buy a machine would be off a member if possible.
Addicted to pins.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 12:48:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Getaway is a great fast machine and is a lot of fun to own.

Probably Black Rose would be cheapest of those listed with the same MPU.

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 12:40:31 PM »
 %)%

Offline oldpins

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD