Author Topic: Just wondering, how long have Aussie Pinballer’s been collecting pinball machine  (Read 560 times)

Offline spook

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane, QLD
Been playing them for about 34 years, but didn't get around to buying until about 4 months ago (now have 2).
Wanted: Another Williams Flash

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Similar to Swinks, about 18 months.  Played them as a kid from about 12 to my early 20's, then moved onto other things.  Then, quite out of the blue, the interest blew in from nowhere early last year.  I'm now 47.

I think I bought my first one when I was 16 or 17

Pete, do you even remotely remember what you paid for this first pin, and what was it?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
First machine at 13 and im 30 now so 17years thats a scary thought

The real question for your Daniel (and perhaps more scary) is "How Many Pinball Machines Have You Wasted with a Shotgun in 17 Years?"
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline PinPal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
The first pinball I bought was a Bally Strikes and Spares for $600.00 bucks back in 1986, there was a glut of pinball machines back then so they where going real cheap. Was in very nice condition I am sorry I ever sold it... But I still collect pins to this day.
My old Stikes And Spares, wonder where it is now  !@#

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Similar to Swinks, about 18 months.  Played them as a kid from about 12 to my early 20's, then moved onto other things.  Then, quite out of the blue, Pete, do you even remotely remember what you paid for this first pin, and what was it?

Sure Shot, Gottlieb Wedgehead EM, $100

local opperator was having a sale, single player games were $100, two player games were $120

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

My situation is unique so it would be difficult to put an exact time on when the hoarding / collecting really started. As most of you know, my father was importing pinballs in the early 50's, so I've been around them all my life. When I was in primary school, I used to come home and find NIB Bally games being stripped and contact being installed. There were two games that I wanted to "keep" for myself. KISS and Paragon. Both are in my collection. But it was not a "collection" until I had my own home. But the Business stopped in 1994, and all the games were collected from sites and placed in storage with the others.

The plan was to own as many games as I can - an addiction rather than a collection.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
23 years, bought my first pin when i was 20.. Stern Stingray for $300 and still have it  *%* as most of you know you always think one will be enough when you purchase your first pin.. yeah right!!  :lol like probably most of you guys i never intended on more than one until others kept popping up here and there!!

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
I have been collecting for 10 years, I purchased my first pin 2 weeks after my uncle-in-law 60th birthday, he lives in Townsville and had a Williams Rollergames under his house, he and a friend used to site a few pins around the area. I had played a bit of pinball in the past but never considered owning one in the home, I though they would be far too expensive.  I cant remember at the time having internet access for pricing or any technical help.
Anyway after playing every day I was up there I was hooked and had to own a pin of my own.  We looked at a Stargate his friend had for sale for $1200 in beautiful condition but figured the transport would make the bargain not so reasonable when I could find something similar down this way.  I was flicking through the local paper 2 weeks later and found a Gottlieb Dragon for $900  I restored it but unfortunately the old girl was a little slow and the gameplay lacking for my taste so she had to go, I made my money plus some and put it towards a HS2 by then the disease had well and truly taken hold  :lol
Back in the days before I had a digital camera, I have a couple of old photos I scanned into the computer

Offline GAP

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth, Western Australia
Purchased my first machine in approx 1990 for $50.00 - a fully working Bally Expressway. Unfortunately got rid of it about four years later  &^&
Started again in Sept 2005 with Scared Stiff, and now out of room with 17 machines. Mind you if AC/DC happens, we will have 18 machines.....somewhere.....somehow.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
17 years or so but I had one in 1994 and didn't add another until 2005 I think.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
 ^.^ $.$
First machine at 13 and im 30 now so 17years thats a scary thought
The scary thought is you're only 30yo. The rate you're collecting we may all have to leave Oz to give you enough room to house your collection Daniel.  %.%
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
Close to 15 years collecting for me , i still have the Bally Supersonic i bought back then plus about 6 other machines at the moment.

That wasn't the first machine i owned though , my parents bought me a Gottlieb Sure Shot back when i was 14 (so 31 years ago)
It was only a few years old and in mint condition.....they paid $275 for it , i know because i still have the receipt.....wish i still had the machine , i sold it for $50 &^&

Offline roundball

• Forum Posts:
  • BNE - The only place to be.
Surprising poll results. Got my first close on 8 years ago.

Would have though the demographic would have indicated an ownership of a lot longer than the poll displays.

Offline Audioenslaved

• Forum Posts:
Ive been collecting 3 years.. 1 machine is the first year 2 in the second 3 in the 3rd... better not be 4 in the 4th...

Offline pinmadd

• Forum Posts:
First pin 7yrs ago. a Mousin Around, 2nd  GnR, Did'nt really start collecting till 4yrs ago   *)*