Author Topic: Project F-14  (Read 9233 times)

Offline TUF-427

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane Queensland Australia
Project F-14
« on: October 29, 2011, 04:30:25 PM »
Ok well here it is My 4th machine,

Williams F-14 Tomcat, 

not the deepest game on the planet I know but this is one that I seemed to have to have for some reason.. !@#

One I played a lot in my younger years and as usual Classic Steve Ritchie..

Ive started this post in the Restos section cause it needs some work,as you will see in the following photos...

Unfortunatly too its picked up some minor cabinet damage in transit, the headbox clips been torn off the back and broken the ply so a bit of repair work to do there.

What drew me to this example is the fact that it has a early Prototype playfield in fantastic condition for its age,

was completely mylared and virtually no wear at all,

severe insert lift all over which will require full insert removal and Redecal,

and If im going that far Might as well give it a shot of clear....

Unfortunatly also the Mpu and displays has been removed from it so Apart from that it seems very complete and original.

Heres the As Delivered photos
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
Re: Project F-14
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 04:38:15 PM »
Pretty Cool to get one with complete original documentation still in the Williams envelope,

original Preliminary/prototype manual,

a game registration card,

a letter to send off to williams to recieve the full F14 manual when it becomes available,

original promo plastic and a envelope full of spare lamps and fuses etc..

so who do I send the letter to these days to redeem my Manual  *)*
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 04:42:01 PM »
Looks like a good project mate.
Pity you have to do all the inserts, I am going through that on mine at the moment, I think there are about about 60 of the bloody things, and those arrow shape ones are an absolute bitch to remove, they break like you wouldn't believe.
And as for that big 2" one in the middle, there is another thread here about that!!!!.
I am still in the process of putting my inserts back in, been going on for weeks now, you will probably finish your resto first!
Good luck with it, you are lucky to get a good cond playfield too.
Cheers
Lets go Brandon!

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 04:46:37 PM »
Couldnt help myself had to get rid of the Mylar Asap,

came off reasonably well without damaging the artwork,

but took most of the insert Art with it,were these Just decals from factory?

Seem to be an addon very yellowed, can scratch them off with your fingernail..

Used a combination of freezespray and the Hairdryer to get it all off..

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 04:52:23 PM »
Same thing I had on mine, yellow and easily scratched.
You can get new decals from that Jeff bloke in PA, I haven't used mine yet but they seem quite good quality,
All his other ones I have used over the years are great.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 04:55:02 PM »
Hey 48,

Yeah theirs some work in it but I think its a good base to start.

Paid a reasonable amount for one with missing parts but I think its worth it when the artworks intact..

some of the Inserts are half way out already and I think theirs some cracked ones there too.

Is their a source for the Arrow inserts?

I can see their going to be a pain to get out in one piece...

Yep already got decals coming from Jeff for it ,how do they go under two pack clear?

Peter..

yes read in interest about your centre insert how good was that to get one Made!

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 05:03:58 PM »
The inserts that were cracked I used a bit of superglue on and they seem OK. AFAIK there is nowhere to buy arrow inserts, but I could be wrong.
I cleaned all my inserts up with wet and dry, right down to 3000 grit.

As for how the inserts go under clear, I guess one of us is going to be the first to find out.  %.%

I think the price was good, my playfield had massive wear down to the wood  !!! all boards there but the display was buggered.
Decided to get a new one and done with.

Lets go Brandon!

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 05:43:36 PM »
Hey 48 when you get a chance can you please check your display measurements please?

did you use the early or late displays in yours this looks like it takes the early one,

if the late one is the same width from left to right I cant see why I cant just modify the up/down boltspacing..

Just that the older displays are quite a bit dearer than the later ones....

My panel is setup for 325  x 135 bolt spacings

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 06:03:02 PM »
I'm 335 x 85. which is what the existing one was.
Perhaps you can get the metal mounts from someone with an 85mm spread and then bolt them onto the speaker panel,
comparing to mine it looks like the metal mounts holes are the same on the speaker board if that makes sense.
Lets go Brandon!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 06:41:20 PM »

I remember this game on its route days. Fun to play and a great theme / artwork.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 07:24:08 PM »
Nice one pete rip straight into it. ^^^

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 09:15:57 PM »
Couldnt help myself had to get rid of the Mylar Asap,

came off reasonably well without damaging the artwork,

but took most of the insert Art with it,were these Just decals from factory?

Seem to be an addon very yellowed, can scratch them off with your fingernail..

Used a combination of freezespray and the Hairdryer to get it all off..

In relation to the artwork on the inserts, they are in fact screened on as part of the original artwork.  Now that the mylar has been removed and the screen work has come off it, I would say the inserts will need to be removed (if they had to be leveled anyway), wet sanded as 48 has suggested then re-glued.  Now I do believe Jeff from Classic Arcades has the insert decals for these (not sure if the proto playfield is different).  I found sometimes the inserts are off slightly and not always 100%.  If you are planning to 2k clear the playfield, I would strongly recommend to buy the NON LAMINATED ones.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 09:29:24 PM »
Hi TUF

It will be good to watch your resto. When I did the centre insert for 48, he got 2 and was going to pick the best to suit the recessed section in his playfield and I still have one. I am sure between 48 and myself we can help you out with a custom centre insert if needing one. They are thicker and shouldn't sag or crack.

https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 10:21:54 PM »
I'm 335 x 85. which is what the existing one was.
Perhaps you can get the metal mounts from someone with an 85mm spread and then bolt them onto the speaker panel,
comparing to mine it looks like the metal mounts holes are the same on the speaker board if that makes sense.
Thanks 48 I will fab something up for that I think..

I remember this game on its route days. Fun to play and a great theme / artwork.
Strangeways yep I played this one a lot too, and was fully sucked in by the sound and lightshow during gameplay and Fast as hell,imagine it clearcoated *%*

Nice one pete rip straight into it. ^^^
Hey Daniel yeah no mucking around I want to be playing by christmas! have you got any of the arrow inserts in your roof playfield at all?,
Ive got some cracked ones I think..

In relation to the artwork on the inserts, they are in fact screened on as part of the original artwork.  Now that the mylar has been removed and the screen work has come off it, I would say the inserts will need to be removed (if they had to be leveled anyway), wet sanded as 48 has suggested then re-glued.  Now I do believe Jeff from Classic Arcades has the insert decals for these (not sure if the proto playfield is different).  I found sometimes the inserts are off slightly and not always 100%.  If you are planning to 2k clear the playfield, I would strongly recommend to buy the NON LAMINATED ones.

Hi Martyj thanks for the tips yep ordered the non laminated ones I hope (I didnt specify but I think you have to ask Jeff and pay more money for laminated)
Prot looks the same to me on top but under doesnt use the later Pcbs for lamps their all induvidual holders..

Hi TUF

It will be good to watch your resto. When I did the centre insert for 48, he got 2 and was going to pick the best to suit the recessed section in his playfield and I still have one. I am sure between 48 and myself we can help you out with a custom centre insert if needing one. They are thicker and shouldn't sag or crack.

Hi Swinks thanks for the offer,

I think the centre one on mines ok but wont really know till I remove it and try to relevel it with wetndry,

mate you did a fantastic job on that for 48 looked awsome..

howd u go u recon making the arrow shaped ones  %.%

Couple more pics..

Thanks all Peter 

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 10:31:56 PM »
Hi TUF

Still have them both here Jady, haven't forgotton or anything, still running way behind with my project  !@)
Tried to fix the original but couldn't get it 100% level so it will be one of your custom inserts that I use. Thanks again.
Cheers,
Lindsay
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:35:08 PM by 48 »
Lets go Brandon!