Author Topic: Help with values please  (Read 1195 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Help with values please
« on: February 06, 2009, 09:07:44 AM »
There are a few pins up for auction tomorrow at a local arcade and i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for prices that would be too good to walk away from.  I'm pretty new on the pinball scene, but have acquired 2 in the last couple of months and quite possibly add another 1 or 2 tomorrow :D

The two i am particularly keen on are Twilight Zone and Guns n Roses, from my observations anything below $3500 for both or these would be good buying???

There is also an Indiana Jones (under $3500 again would be good?), Getaway High Speed 2 (No idea) and a Lost in Space (Dunno, but looking at it didn't get me excited).

Wondering if i could get feedback on prices- obviously is going to depend a lot on condition - all need a good clean, some  cabinet damage and playfield wear. On TZ, diags say clock doesn't work and about 3 other switches.  Haven't run them on the GNR (will tomorrow) but i know the top flipper doesn't work. These things shouldn't be too hard to repair, but will add up to extra $$$ (along with the 10 or 15% buyers premium).

Any other tips or common problems to look for?

Thanks

Rob

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Help with values please
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:31:47 AM »

Prices ?

Really hard question to answer without viewing the machine. Are they reconditioned, or have they been abused in the arcade for the last 10 years  <.>

I'm not a huge fan of TZ - So I'll leave that for the experts. The clock and gumball are the two points of interest.

G'N'Roses - Look or playfield wear around the AXL scoop and the center of the playfield. Check the Slash Ramp (Green one).

I don't think you will get either for under $3500 (including other expenses) at an auction, but you never know !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 10:40:34 AM »
Risky to buy pins at an auction when you dont have a good idea of their value, and can estimate a cost to repair. My advice is to attend the auction and buy nothing lol Pinball auctions are held to make $$$ on the unsuspecting noob buyer. Unless the TZ and Indy dont cost you more than 3k including fees then stay clear IMO. The best game of the lot is Getaway. Unless you have played Indy, GNR, and TZ and know you like them, then dont blow good money on them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:44:41 AM by Sinbad »

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 12:07:03 PM »

always try and set a limit and dont go over it
and dont forget to add GST and the auction fees

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 12:43:06 PM »
Unless the TZ and Indy dont cost you more than 3k including fees then stay clear IMO.

You are kidding, right?  ^%^ If you can find a TZ or Indy for under 3k, please let me know.

Matthew

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 12:53:50 PM »
Risky to buy pins at an auction when you dont have a good idea of their value, and can estimate a cost to repair. My advice is to attend the auction and buy nothing lol Pinball auctions are held to make $$$ on the unsuspecting noob buyer. Unless the TZ and Indy dont cost you more than 3k including fees then stay clear IMO. The best game of the lot is Getaway. Unless you have played Indy, GNR, and TZ and know you like them, then dont blow good money on them.

I'd say if PF is in ok condition 3.5k for TZ and Indy would be reasonable. But like you say Getaway is a great fun game that you may pick up for around the 1.5-2k mark

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 02:05:56 PM »
Unless the TZ and Indy dont cost you more than 3k including fees then stay clear IMO.

You are kidding, right?  ^%^ If you can find a TZ or Indy for under 3k, please let me know.

Matthew

not kidding Matt.........if you pay more than 3k for a TZ at an auction your taking a risk. The OP didnt seem to have much of an idea, and should know to be extra cautious with auctions. This is the problem we have developed........people are starting to accept auctions as the normal way to buy goods. Its a suckers minefield, as auctions are used to clear stuff that no one is willing to sell in good working order.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 02:09:03 PM by Sinbad »

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 03:09:29 PM »

Matthew

not kidding Matt.........if you pay more than 3k for a TZ at an auction your taking a risk. The OP didnt seem to have much of an idea, and should know to be extra cautious with auctions. This is the problem we have developed........people are starting to accept auctions as the normal way to buy goods. Its a suckers minefield, as auctions are used to clear stuff that no one is willing to sell in good working order.

I would expect at an auction that you could see the machine in action as well as inspect the cabinet, playfield, backbox, electrics etc. This wouldn't be any different to buying the machine from a private seller. In that case, I don't see the risk. However, if the machine was turned off and there was no ability to view the machine, then yes I agree with your estimates. That would be like buying a house after only viewing it from the street (on a much smaller scale of course).

Matthew

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 05:34:56 PM »
Thanks heaps guys for the comments so far.... as suggested i'm pretty new to the scene so certainly don't want to blow my cash on something overpriced.  These machines have all been in service for the last few years at least and i would assume even longer.  I had a few games on both the TZ and GNR and loved them both.

There is time to inspect/play etc before the auction tommorrow and i will certainly have another really close look (as well as take someone else for another opinion).

I will definitely be setting limits before the auction starts, knowing there may well be bidders who have heard that pinball machines are worth $$$ or have even less idea than my limited knowledge acquired over the last month or two.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 06:49:47 PM »
anyhoo Goodluck mate!
:)

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 02:39:08 PM »
Just an update of how things went...

I had the top bid on TZ, but was passed in at $3100 (plus 11%), i think old mate might give me a call to negotiate - his reserve was $4000.  Probably can't justify even $3300 at the moment, unless someone wants to give me $2500 for Jurassic Park...

So if anyone is superkeen on the TZ, let me know and i can talk to the seller.

Other machines went for

GNR $3800
Lost in Space  $2800
Indiana Jones  $3100
Getaway High Speed 2 $3000

And a 'blown up' (that was the only description given) Party Zone for $1700

There were certainly a heap of people that had no idea, a couple of people that heard that pinballs were worth lots, so they wanted to buy one!!

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 02:43:43 PM »

I had the top bid on TZ, but was passed in at $3100 (plus 11%), i think old mate might give me a call to negotiate - his reserve was $4000.  Probably can't justify even $3300 at the moment, unless someone wants to give me $2500 for Jurassic Park...

Other machines went for

GNR $3800
Lost in Space  $2800
Indiana Jones  $3100

There were certainly a heap of people that had no idea, a couple of people that heard that pinballs were worth lots, so they wanted to buy one!!

They seem like pretty good prices to me, I would have been happy to pick up any of those machines at those prices (provided their condition was good).

Matthew

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 05:04:45 PM »

Other machines went for

GNR $3800
Lost in Space  $2800
Indiana Jones  $3100

They seem like pretty good prices to me, I would have been happy to pick up any of those machines at those prices (provided their condition was good).

Matthew

if word gets out that you pay 3k for an as-is Getaway then expect lotsa calls lol

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 11:25:52 AM »

Faark!!  !@#
Anyone want to give me $3k for my HS2.  It is in excellent condition no playfield wear. Restored 12mths ago. 
I'll buy another and pocket at least $1k  &&

Offline furballx

• Forum Posts:
  • Seven Hills (Sydney)
    • My other hobby
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 11:01:02 AM »

Faark!!  !@#
Anyone want to give me $3k for my HS2.  It is in excellent condition no playfield wear. Restored 12mths ago. 
I'll buy another and pocket at least $1k  &&

Nope, I wont give you $3K, but if it is for sale drop me a line with another price.
Dave
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 11:02:54 AM by furballx »
Do, or do not.  There is no try.