Author Topic: Here we go - special mini-playfiled update  (Read 21845 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Here we go - special mini-playfiled update
« on: February 07, 2009, 12:19:39 AM »
The clear is dry on some parts, particularly the mini-playfield....

The main playfield, ready for final sand and final clear coat
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Here we go - special mini-playfiled update
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 12:21:24 AM »
And now for tonight's grand finale...
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 12:22:10 AM »
Looking good !

Will the clearcoat have to "cure" for long before re populating the playfield ?

I can't wait to see some hardware on the wood !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 12:59:13 AM »

Too busy typing to look at the picture Spamways?  !@# Try pictures 4 through 8!!

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 11:51:16 AM »
Very nice boys  ^^^

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 12:02:59 PM »
A lot of effort has gone into that. Well done boys.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 12:13:23 PM »

Too busy typing to look at the picture Spamways?  !@# Try pictures 4 through 8!!

We posted at the same time  ^%^

Please use WHITE Rubbers ! It will look much better and match the already colorful and vibrant playfield. BLACK rubbers will look dull.

@@*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 02:46:01 PM »
We posted at the same time  ^%^

Ah, was wondering how you missed the second lot, must have been typing while the second post with the assembled mini-playfield was being uploaded.

Please use WHITE Rubbers ! It will look much better and match the already colorful and vibrant playfield. BLACK rubbers will look dull.

We debated that last night. The decision (just for the photo shoot - not locked in) was to go black simply because it is a modern game (2008-9 build) and therefore keep in the theme of the current industry standards. Also, we think the game is going to be crazy fast (ie like AFM) and the extra bounce might be too much. But testing will sort that bit. Personally I never use black on anything (except BBB which looks right black), so there's a chance things might whiten up before completion...

Thanks for the kind comments guys!

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 06:56:19 PM »
Looking good - you guys must be struggling to contain the excitement as you are so close now.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 07:02:01 PM »
i just cant wait to see a pinball  finally made  in  Australia
well done guys  on all the hard work
how long has it taken so far ?   and this is all from nothing  right ?

Thought I should answer this in the latest official thread, so as not to detract from the side art discussion.

Work in earnest can be dated back to 24 March 2007, which was the day the web site went on line. Up to that point the ideas had been discussed by nug and I, but to date nug had not been able to gain much interest from RGP, where the only real gathering of pinheads existed (that is until AP came on line!).

Nug had come across a driver board design on a web site, intended to be used with pinmame. The idea behind the board was that it could be used with a PC to run the pinmame version of an existing game, and then drive a real cabinet in circumstances where the CPU for that particular game was no longer available. I suspect things like Pascal Jannin's Gottlieb CPU's dried up any potential demand for the product, and it disappeared. While nug could recreate a similar board, or design one from scratch, being able to secure one "off the shelf" would save a major amount of time in the early stages. But his emails to the designers went unanswered.

I suggested to nug that I believed I could garner some interest, and maybe get the designers of that board to contact us, so I posted this to RGP - http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/853870abe6b34134/63b44a35fad367d1?q=aussies+race+to+produce&lnk=ol&#

You can see from the level of the responses that we got the interest! Out of that thread came:

- the web site made for us;
- parts;
- most importantly - emails from the guys who designed the boards, and shortly after, the last two of the proto boards.

The "Contributors" area highlights some of what was given to us. http://www.users.on.net/~spaners/Coconut%20Island/contrib.html

Now, from that March 2007 date it seems that it's almost two years. But you need to bear in mind that not only was a game being built, the whole basis for the system to drive the game - hardware, software and the mechanics themselves were all being built and tested as the game was developed. Even learning to paint a playfield and apply clear is a new endeavor full of learning, so over a year of that time should be allocated to "R&D" and will not need to be repeated. Also bear in mind nug built a new house and established the gardens etc all during the same period, and he does have a full time job too!

The next game, working as we do for the fun of it as a hobby, will probably take six months. Nothing needs to be invented this time, it's just a matter of building the physical side, writing the game specific code, and nailing it all together!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 07:05:17 PM by pinnies4me »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 07:07:38 PM »
Looking good - you guys must be struggling to contain the excitement as you are so close now.

Aint that the truth! We were rolling a pinball around that mini-playfield - smoooooooth!

Offline Nug

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
  • NPC non-factory CEO
    • Coconut Island
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 07:25:13 PM »

Aint that the truth! We were rolling a pinball around that mini-playfield - smoooooooth!

that was funny !  *%*
oh my mistake.. you are wrong !

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 01:03:03 PM »

that was funny !  *%*

I remember reading that and I thought you guys were kooks.  It wasn't til recently that I was sure of it =)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 03:14:33 PM »
Thanks Chuck!  #(&

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 03:32:10 PM »
I think I have it figured out but what is that yellow thingy on the mini playfield?  Is it a ball trap that raises and lowers?  If so I've never seen anything like it.