Author Topic: Legs  (Read 572 times)

Offline mildflame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
Legs
« on: November 08, 2011, 08:08:01 PM »
I noticed when i try to search for pinball legs on ebay nothing comes up! is my ebay playing up or is there really no legs for sale on eBay? Is there normally some on ebay or do only dealers sell them usually?
Check out my website: http://mildflame.blogspot.com.au
Happy reading!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Legs
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:39:25 PM »
mark sells legs on ebay as does wayne. shld come up under pinball legs. just click into mark or waynes stores. even check out rtbb.

the black spots seem like oxidation on the legs, and usually wont come off 100 percent but cleaning will fix most of it.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:49:43 PM »
I noticed when i try to search for pinball legs on ebay nothing comes up! is my ebay playing up or is there really no legs for sale on eBay? Is there normally some on ebay or do only dealers sell them usually?

Mitch,

I'll let a small tip of the trade go.  I found an automotive body shop (who sells car paint etc) and grabbed a handful of the red coloured scotch brite pads.  (should only be around 40c each).  Next I went to Bunnings and bought a small bottle CLR.  Make sure you have safety goggles and gloves as a minimum (easy to splash it in your eyes - you DONT want this).  Follow the instructions as far as mix ratio ie water to CLR and let the legs soak for a few min.  Then I use the scotch brite pads and the legs will come out very nice.  Should get rid of most of the small rust and oxidation.

But if you are going to use this - make sure to get your Dads OK as the chemicals are a little nasty or even better you just supervise him!

Legs can be very expensive and if you have the correct size / type for your machine I'd try this first.

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 08:54:26 PM »

Mitch,

I'll let a small tip of the trade go.  I found an automotive body shop (who sells car paint etc) and grabbed a handful of the red coloured scotch brite pads.  (should only be around 40c each).  Next I went to Bunnings and bought a small bottle CLR.  Make sure you have safety goggles and gloves as a minimum (easy to splash it in your eyes - you DONT want this).  Follow the instructions as far as mix ratio ie water to CLR and let the legs soak for a few min.  Then I use the scotch brite pads and the legs will come out very nice.  Should get rid of most of the small rust and oxidation.

But if you are going to use this - make sure to get your Dads OK as the chemicals are a little nasty or even better you just supervise him!

Legs can be very expensive and if you have the correct size / type for your machine I'd try this first.
I look at whos viewing page and see dad... so what u think?
Happy reading!

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 08:57:11 PM »
i have a bottle of CLR yopu can try ^^^
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline mildflame

• Forum Posts:
  • Barossa Valley
    • Mildflame.com
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 08:58:39 PM »
Ok, i'll bring my legs up next fortnight and we can experiment ^^^
Happy reading!

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 09:08:05 PM »
ok.i certenally do noy whant to see you legless.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 09:30:02 PM »

Try and get some of the red scotch brite pads too (or Dad).  They are just enough to 'grain' them and help clean without scratching or damaging them. 

Just watch your eyes and skin!

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 10:08:29 PM »

Try and get some of the red scotch brite pads too (or Dad).  They are just enough to 'grain' them and help clean without scratching or damaging them. 

Anyone else ever tried a scotch brite wheel for their bench grinder?
I have one of these and it works great on any steel, it would have to be one of my most used tools.
It cleans up almost anything with almost zero wheel wear.

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 11:58:37 PM »
Usually you can buy a set of chrome pinny legs to suit B/W on ebay for $69 plus postage. Or check PSP website.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 02:05:01 AM »

Try and get some of the red scotch brite pads too (or Dad).  They are just enough to 'grain' them and help clean without scratching or damaging them.  

Anyone else ever tried a scotch brite wheel for their bench grinder?
I have one of these and it works great on any steel, it would have to be one of my most used tools.
It cleans up almost anything with almost zero wheel wear.

i use a cloth wheel on my drill with either a wax buffing compound block or auto sol, worx great on chrome wheels so i used it on legs, made very light work of the job lucky to have taken 20 mins for the lot. both those options leave a protected coating to stop it rusting, and you can by the kits with the buffing blocks for $20 at bunnings

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 09:46:02 AM »

The usual suspects sell them - eBay or online store. This would be your last option though. Unless the originals are rusted, you should be able to follow Marty's advice, or use Ranex as I have successfully done on tons of chrome legs.

If the legs are for your Flash - you might be out of luck - The 28 1/2 Chrome legs sold locally are ribbed and used on WPC games. The original legs can be sourced from Pinball Resource in the US.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 09:59:14 PM »

Mitch,

clr didn'y work

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 11:01:08 PM »

Mitch,

clr didn'y work

Get yourself a scotchbrite wheel for you 150mm bench grinder, I have one and it works brilliant on any metal, best thing I ever bought.
They last forever too, you would never wear it out as a hobbyist.

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 11:06:30 PM »
thanks,criss