Author Topic: Sandblaster cabinet  (Read 638 times)

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Sandblaster cabinet
« on: November 10, 2011, 04:45:21 PM »
Clay's revised GTB SYS 1 repair guide talks about a small sandblasting cabinet to clean the corrosion from the board.

Now I remember hanging out at the bike wreckers in Toowoomba, and I used to love watching the sand blaster in action.

I searched online and found the one pictured below for $165.  Hooks up to a standard 240v compressor.
The intrenal space is 590 x 500 x 300-360mm (LxWxD)

I'm very tempted to get one to try it out on some metal parts.

The shop that sells these cabinets also sells the lifter trolleys (for moving pinnies) as well as an arbor press (to convert for riveting pinball parts)

Hmmm... Very tempted indeed..... && &&

Anyone have any experience with these smaller sand/beadblasting cabinets?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 04:52:01 PM by Steevsee »

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Sandblaster cabinet
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 04:59:05 PM »
i tried to use one once or twice, ended up just going out on the lawn and blasting it there as the gloves shit me to tears. lol, but one of my mates uses them allot for small car parts they work good and it is after all clean and how i should sand blast, lol
 i have striped an entire car with a 20buck blaster so that should have no trouble with small parts, most of it comes down to the quality of the blasting medium on results.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 05:02:09 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 05:51:50 PM »
I have been looking for one of these. The ones I found were 10 times the price.

Steve, could u post the web site link and details for this company, ph numbers, price etc etc. A few members might buy them. Doing all the small metal bits in this might be worth looking at, cause a conventional tumbler cant get the results that perhaps this thing can. It looks like a very useful and well priced option.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »
I have been looking for one of these. The ones I found were 10 times the price.

Steve, could u post the web site link and details for this company, ph numbers, price etc etc. A few members might buy them. Doing all the small metal bits in this might be worth looking at, cause a conventional tumbler cant get the results that perhaps this thing can. It looks like a very useful and well priced option.  ^^^

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SANDBLASTER-SANDBLAST-BENCHTOP-CABINET-SAND-BLASTER-NEW-/400249005792?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item5d30b326e0

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 06:04:02 PM »
I have access to a bigger one at work which cleans metal extremely well, not sure how a smaller one would operate .
Price seems good though.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 06:25:22 PM »
thanks for the info Steve.  ^^^

!@#     Quick Question - if one (me) has a compressor already, what else would you have to buy from these guys to start sandblasting at home ? sandblaster gun attachment and sandblaster tank to put the medium in ? they have all different ebay listing numbers but i am unsure as to what else one would need from them ?  !@#
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 06:46:02 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 06:32:56 PM »
no it wouldn't have compressor already attached. you'd need one around 10cfm, now depends on the gun some need the regulator tank some just need a bucket of sand with a hose going into it,cheap home use the second option would be fine lol
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 06:40:14 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 06:44:51 PM »
sorry, i meant "If I" have a compressor already (my typo) what else would ya need ?

I have contacted them and will get a phone call back soon with a list n price of what else ya need to get strated at home for metal part sandblasting etc.  ^^^

UPDATE -
They say u shld buy a "dust collector" machine for apx $165 to connect to it so u can see what u r doing after sandblasting the parts, then buy the sand , then thats it !
Their is a sandblaster gun attachment in the cabinet already. They say u can also place all the medium in the base of the unit, which it will be sucked up, smashed into the metal, then fall back into the collector for re-use until it gets too dirty, then throw it away. So the initial investment of $165 for the sandblaster tank is needed, and they reccommend the extra $165 for a dust coillector machine that fits into the 100mm hole/connector at the rear of the machine.

I will have to pop up the store (20 mins away) and do some investigating/shopping. Shld be a neat set up !
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 07:02:17 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 06:54:22 PM »
sorry, i meant "If I" have a compressor already (my typo) what else would ya need ?

hose and a bucket of blasting sand basically. depends how fancy you want to get, like i said above i have striped a car with a $20 blaster gun from supercheap, lol was slow going but worked great, which virtually was a blaster gun, a bucket of sand and a hose going into it with a filter, and off we went, you can get reall fancy and buy all that other stuff like reg tanks and fancy filters and what not if you are going to do it serious but odd jobs you dont need much really. lol and you could always get the other bits if need be, its pretty easy to dodgy up a blaster setup to get you going,
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 06:58:39 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 07:09:30 PM »
you could mod an old vacume cleaner for dust exhaust i recon, and get away with just the cab

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 07:14:20 PM »
Just keep in mind the your compressor size - pressure and tank size, because if it is small you will be stopping and starting waiting for the pressure build up to continue blasting. But they are great and save a lot work stripping corrosion and paint. Also keep in mind the abrasive material if coarse may every so slightly pit you components in which a undercoat that can be sanded flat may be required to avoid the dimpling effect when applying a finish coat.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 10:00:01 AM »

I'm interested in this setup as well. I would prefer a bigger booth to fit pinball legs, but I'd still be interested to see what people buy / use.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinprick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 02:32:24 PM »

I'm interested in this setup as well. I would prefer a bigger booth to fit pinball legs, but I'd still be interested to see what people buy / use.

Likewise.
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 05:32:24 PM »

Another good reason for buying a heavy duty compressor!

Offline 48

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »

Perhaps this one Nino?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SANDBLASTER-SANDBLAST-CABINET-SAND-BLASTER-BEADBLASTER-/170718649383?pt=AU_Air_Tools&hash=item27bf9fdc27
Lets go Brandon!