Author Topic: Gotta love new PF decals !!  (Read 540 times)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Gotta love new PF decals !!
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:16:35 PM »
Hey all,

It is amazing these days how quickly you can repair worn PF spots that seem to occur on some of these pinball machines.....I thought I would post a few before and after shots of worn ( and now fixed ) areas of my Fish Tales and my WH20 so you can see the results you get when using these decals.

Now, to get it right ( I believe ) you cant just slap the sticker on and be happy, you should still do some work 'around' the area with some paints and a fine paintbrush to get it to blend in if need be.....

FISH TALES
Theres a section of 4 Fish in the middle of the PF on Fish Tales known as ' the Stringers' .....here is how my machine looked when it arrived ( and I believe most FT's have this issue? ) .....

And here it is after just a little touching up and then overlaying the new decals from Curly at Lil shop of Pinball.....each fish decal cost me $10.00 and EACH came with a matching mylar shape to protect them as well.....and Curly ALWAYS gets goods from USA to Australia in about 1 week as well.

There is still a tiny bit of touching up to be done around some of the fish fins if you look closely, as the decals are only for the bodies/head section......but even if you didnt do that this area looks 100% better than before.

WHITE WATER

This machine is famous for having a few PF wear spots....I managed to jag this decal with the help of a mate as the ONLY bloke on this planet making it and selling it is in the USA and lets just say he , well he ummmm hates me !!! Who could hate me U ask !!!! - LOL

Wet Willies seems to crack up a lot , I have no idea why, heres how mine looked when I recieved it.....

And this area was actually a case of carefully lining it up and just slapping it on, that was just WAY too easy......now it looks like this...

The Lost Mine kickout is another area that wears away on WH20....

In this 1st shot you wll see the wear mark just above the new decal I had purchased, again this came from Lil shop of Games....this was another $10.00 fix.

I wasnt totally happy with the way it was going to line up/ match up if i used the WHOLE circular decal so I decided to cut it down to just the section I needed and I would touch up around that....below is the tiny section of the decal that I ended up using.....

And here it is once in place and the area finished, it JUST misses out on lining up at the top but the rest is OK, it was a case of either having the blue angled lines JUST not marrying up OR have the black on the left side not line up and I knew what would stand out more.....

And heres a wide shot of the lower half of the PF, no-one would ever notice that decal unless they knew it was there....

Rollover Switch Decals

I wanted to quickly show what can be done with worn out area's that surround any rollover switch section.
This example is from my left loop entry on WH20, in the 1st shot you can see the 'typical' wear and tear.

Once again - Curly at Lil Shop of Games has an answer for this, he sells decals in sheets of 15 for about $10.00 that simply go over these sections......check this out....a 3 second fix.

The point of this thread is to show you that for sometimes less than $10.00 you can fix an incredibly bad, ugly and eye-catching bad section of your games PF .....worth thinking about.

DW Drums rule !

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Gotta love new PF decals !!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:06:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing Wotto. That is such a valuable resource for us would be restorers. That should give most people the confidence to get stuck into that bit of wear on their playfields. That Fish Tales of yours sounds like it's now better than new.

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 10:39:33 PM »
Great work Wotto, Did you need to put a small mylar patch over the lost mine kickout decal or is the decal already protected?

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 02:13:23 AM »
you still got these wotto ?

i have used the WW before  but not the Ft  and have a FT thats needs them

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 04:22:02 AM »
IIRC, those were all made by Classic Arcades. I'm amazed that the color match looks that decent. The ones I saw of his didn't line up and the color match was horrid.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 08:36:28 AM »
What a great way to resto a PF. Ty for posting Wotto!

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 03:51:31 PM »
you still got these wotto ?
i have used the WW before  but not the Ft  and have a FT thats needs them

No mate - I ran out.
I am sure Curly would still sell them but
I should buy more myself *)*
DW Drums rule !

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 07:44:39 PM »
IIRC, those were all made by Classic Arcades. I'm amazed that the color match looks that decent. The ones I saw of his didn't line up and the color match was horrid.

Yeah, I got a lost mine kick out decal, totally unuseable, the colours were not even close. I ended up mixing paint and touching up
Great idea and bit of a shame sometimes the colours are different, but I think WH20 had a bit of variance between PF runs.