Author Topic: Machines With Leds ! Excellent Results. What A Difference. Photos.  (Read 22354 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Great feedback Wotto.

A video seems to catch the goodness of the LEDS, but a photo seems not to do the job any justice.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury

So - as Cavey will testify, to get the best out of LED"s it takes hours and hours of experimenting back and forth until YOU feel it is the way YOU want YOUR game to appear.

Thanks guys,  ^^^  I guess that's the trick isn't it. Keep trying until you get the look your after. Its amazing what a difference it makes when you get it right though isn't it.

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Its amazing what a difference it makes when you get it right though isn't it.

Yes it is.
It can be a very fine balance to get it perfect.

Even after I think I have the game PERFECT I still occasionally just try ONE bulb change in one spot.
EG - Nino's T3 looks awesome how he did the LED's- but yesterday I got to the FINAL BATTLE and the PF insert for that sits amongst the PF inserts for the other modes - they are all lit in white. So I am going to change the FINAL BATTLE LED to either another colour OR to a colour changer - just to see how it looks as I think the FINAL BATTLE needs to be highlighted.

Sometimes little things like this can make a great looking game just that LITTLE BIT better.
Yes I am a little pedantic  :lol
DW Drums rule !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
just relooked at this older thread.

its amazing now that even Stern are putting LEDS into all of their machines, and placing LEDS into home collections/titles now seems the norm.

anyone else been adding leds to their 1990's dmd machines....any videos anyone.

I still have some I have to upload as well.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Shaneus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
I'll be giving my RBION a going over, I think. Doesn't exactly qualify as a 90s machine but has a similar aesthetic to them, so it should still be fun to experiment with different colours (without going too wild, I hate coloured LEDs for GI under plastics, it tends to look overbearing). Getting an LED-OCD as well, as I am far too sensitive to LED strobing.

Having said that, I stumbled across this video the other day where a proto RBION in the Stern factory circa 2004 was running all LEDs, so it's an idea they've been toying with for a while and may have even had LEDs in mind for RBION.

Also have to say, I'm not a massive fan of how some of the newer Sterns look with 100% LEDs. I think they could go for a nicer mix of both, or at least use less SMDs and more frosted lights to bring the volume of light down. Pins can be colourful without having to wear sunnies to see them :)

I'm also mulling over the idea of using coloured incandescents, too. Just so I can ditch that flicker, but I know they still give off the same amount of heat which is my main motivation for going LED.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
Have fun with it. Take ya time and u will get some fun results.

RBION is a great machine, everything I LOVE about pinball is in this game. It has a bit of everything and the fact its theme is wild and a bit out there is even better. Always wanted a RBION and I think its a great title and suits the style of machine I definately like.

I think LEDS in RBION will look terriffic.

Let us know how u go. photos or videos will be great.

regards, brett