Author Topic: pool tables: useless waste of space or a game room necessity?  (Read 663 times)

Offline poodlebob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
pool tables: useless waste of space or a game room necessity?
« on: November 27, 2011, 09:27:27 PM »
discuss.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Definately a games room necessity but at the same time a waste of space.

I use mine as a workbench for rebuilding Pinballs so it's not all bad.

But at the moment I have two of the bastards in my shed anyone want to buy one?

Offline pokermachine

• Forum Posts:
Hmmm, hard to say... when you don't have one you can always see the spot one would fit and think how great it would be to have one, then you get a table its great for a month then once everyone has had a few games just ends up a massive expensive magazine rack!!! but hey if you get one cheap you can always sell it in a year when your over it!! If you were to get one i would go second hand, not shell out mega bucks for a new one.

Offline poodlebob

• Forum Posts:
Hmmm, hard to say... when you don't have one you can always see the spot one would fit and think how great it would be to have one, then you get a table its great for a month then once everyone has had a few games just ends up a massive expensive magazine rack!!! but hey if you get one cheap you can always sell it in a year when your over it!! If you were to get one i would go second hand, not shell out mega bucks for a new one.

notice you didnt notice(yeah son i just did that on purpose) the pool table at my meet earlier this year? it was in the other part of the house having things sit on her. mines a pool/table tennis/ice hockey 3 in 1 but i started to get bored of the bastard after 3 months or so. maybe those with a billiard table feel differently but thats a nuance that doesnt interest me enough to explore.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
u can buy a flatpack style pool table from ebay for apx $400 delivered. u wouldnt think looking at the large flatpack style boxes that it could turn out so good but they are an amazing design, great quality. i reccommend the one i bought to anyone. (link below)

i had one and played it with friends heaps til i needed the room for more pinballs. i gave it away for free 6 months later to a family i knew would appreciate it.

i reckon every games room shld have a pool table if u have the room. lots of fun and not that expensive to pick up a real nice one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200593525574?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D200593525574%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline poodlebob

• Forum Posts:
mines a flat pack also. its the 3-1 from my games room. all things being equal the quality/cost ratio is going to be better playing a sited pool table as opposed to a pin so my argument is that if space is an issue as is for most folks living in the suburbs then the pool table isnt a viable choice of space. id probably even put a popeye in its place.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
mines a flat pack also. its the 3-1 from my games room. all things being equal the quality/cost ratio is going to be better playing a sited pool table as opposed to a pin so my argument is that if space is an issue as is for most folks living in the suburbs then the pool table isnt a viable choice of space. id probably even put a popeye in its place.

POPEYE is a under rated pinny. Williams widebody genius that doesnt get the love it deserves. Never had one single person play my POPEYE who didnt thoroughly enjoy it.
If u have the room, have a pool table and a POPEYE ! lol  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
I was actually going to provide some useful info on pool tables (particularly the flat pack variety) but saw who created this thread and couldn't be bothered.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:29:03 AM by Creech »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Off topic comments removed. Keep it civil folks  *%*

Billiard Tables take up a lot of space, and I remember when we were looking at building a house, I HAD to have a billiard table. But I had a lot of pinballs to store/ So I opted for a Soccer Table (that my father built in 1951) - which is the centrepiece to my entire collection. A good compromise - I get to have a soccer table AND pins in the place of a billiard table.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Whats a games room?
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
If you have the space for me it would be a necessity.  I miss mine that I sold when we moved house.  I love the look of a nice slate top, turned leg table.
Addicted to pins.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
I tend to think they are both a waste of space and a neccessity .
A few years ago I picked up a second hand foldup pool table on Ebay cheap, so now have the best of both worlds as it gets put away when we get bored with it.
Sure, its not a Rolls Royce table (not even a slate top) but we have had heaps of fun with it .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
I think it's a must. A pool table and a pinny, what could go better together in a rumpus/games room ?? I love mine. I bought new through a
local builder/supplier and couldn't be happier with it. Mine is the pub size which i think keeps the game short enough and fun.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
In all seriousness...waste of money and space unless you have a lot of space to play a proper game.
I have seen so many pool tables jammed into a games room around pins aand arcades just for the sake of it, with no room to make a proper shot....but hey doesn't my pool table look sick!
I grew up with a slate snooker table in a dedicated pool room and nothing else in it except for a beer fridge and a stereo...this is the only way to go for mine!
If your games room or whatever can't properly fit one don't even bother unless you are going to cull some anchors or something around the same size!
If your games room is of a mental size and you can fit one in with NO dramas on shots.....go for it!
A good crapp is better than a shit game of pool but a great game of pool is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
I also say a waste of space unless you are sure you will play it.

I have one and have had it for years and never play it. My 2c