Author Topic: THE PINBALL AUCTION expo  (Read 1844 times)

Offline SPURR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
THE PINBALL AUCTION expo
« on: February 08, 2009, 04:59:30 PM »
It seams a real sore point with most members from both forums about having to turn up on Sunday for a auction that the majority of members dont want! I think more people would stay there for the two day's if there was no auction. There's gunna be a pile of Newcastle & hunter boy's go'in down for Saturday only, and I bet there's others from different places also. The answer should be NO AUCTION on Sunday at all , in other words knock it on the #(&. What I thick would work well is that all stall owners that have pins for sale could be on the Saturday and Sunday at a bargain price. Us Newcastle guy's could return the next day to purchase a pin that we had put a holding deposit on the Saturday. Nothing could be better for us or any guy from AP or AA is to walk up to markc's stall and have a chat ! and end up making a instant purchase on a pin that we could talk to him about and buy it on the spot. Most purchases I have made over the years was never planned, I would go to a market for eg. and come home with a expensive toy! there's more of you guy's out there is'nt there *%*. And dont forget auctions have a reserve on most items and end up getting handed in. Having a vote on this thread would give the organisers of the event an idea on WHAT DO THE PEOPLE WANT!      vote:   YES to a auction  *%* or NO to a auction *.*

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: THE PINBALL AUCTION expo
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 05:25:50 PM »
I have literally just come off the phone to Rian.

ALL asked questions will be on the website tomorrow afternoon. So before speculating about whether the auction should be held or not - read what Rian has to say tomorrow.

In the meantime, he has given me permission to post some limited information.

Expo is NOT a cheap exercise - the money for this is being paid up front - believe me, the figures are quite staggering.
 $$(
This is PRIVATE money out of peoples pockets to get this up and running for the first year.

This money HAS to be recouped and the only realistic way of doing this within the context of pinball, is to have an auction of pins.

No other pins are allowed to be sold because it means that those auctioned may not be sold off and Expo outlays may not be recovered.

Next year Expo will be set up differently.

Now.... in my own words and this is not what Rian has told me, this is how i see it.
can anyone explain to me why those that are funding it should be out of pocket so other vendors can sell pins.
its quite simple - to have a stall at Expo is $500 - you can sell what you like, take orders etc. But you cant sell pins.
Now if the cost of expo is to be recouped simply off the stall holders fees then i for one wouldnt be able to afford it.

EXPO IS OVER 2 DAYS - only 2hrs on Sunday is for the auction. if you dont like the idea of an auction, then dont go.
If you let the fact that you dont like auctions ruin the weekend for you then that is something that youll just have to deal with. People are saying they will not go because there is an auction, so for 2hrs out of a potential 16 - 20hrs you will stay away??
Then stay away! And miss out on Expo #1, i couldnt care less.
Nope - i wont be attending the auction, ill still be in the Expo side chatting to those who have concentrated on the positives of all this and not what they percieve to be a negative...its 2hrs out of a WHOLE weekend for Chrissakes - go and have lunch and come back - will be over before your tears dry

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 05:30:05 PM »
I'm with you on this SPURR. I have seen far to many pinball auctions over the years, and the vast majority do have reserves on the pinballs for auction.

Auctions make people believe that they are going to get a bargain, and it gets people in the door. But usually the case is that the seller is trying to get rid of the crap at a good price, and the buyer gets ripped off.

I've been called out to many a pinball that was sold at auction, only to inform the customer that there will be a lot of work needed to get the machine up to scratch. They are usually very upset at this stage, as their "bargain" is now going to cost them a lot more money just to make it work properly!

I also think it detracts from the whole idea of a pinball expo. Expo should be about enthusiasts getting together to talk pinball, meet fellow pinball fans from around the country (and possibly the globe), and have an enjoyable experience. I have no problem with pinball's, parts, tools, etc... being available for sale during the expo, as this is what many people will be after, and is what helps pinball companies to get their name out there. That's what I will be going for (well, probably not to buy anything), and am looking forward to meeting people who share the passion about pinball.

So for me, it is a big NO to having an auction!

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 05:37:05 PM »
I have literally just come off the phone to Rian.

ALL asked questions will be on the website tomorrow afternoon. So before speculating about whether the auction should be held or not - read what Rian has to say tomorrow.

In the meantime, he has given me permission to post some limited information.

Expo is NOT a cheap exercise - the money for this is being paid up front - believe me, the figures are quite staggering.
 $$(
This is PRIVATE money out of peoples pockets to get this up and running for the first year.

This money HAS to be recouped and the only realistic way of doing this within the context of pinball, is to have an auction of pins.

No other pins are allowed to be sold because it means that those auctioned may not be sold off and Expo outlays may not be recovered.

Next year Expo will be set up differently.

Now.... in my own words and this is not what Rian has told me, this is how i see it.
can anyone explain to me why those that are funding it should be out of pocket so other vendors can sell pins.
its quite simple - to have a stall at Expo is $500 - you can sell what you like, take orders etc. But you cant sell pins.
Now if the cost of expo is to be recouped simply off the stall holders fees then i for one wouldnt be able to afford it.

EXPO IS OVER 2 DAYS - only 2hrs on Sunday is for the auction. if you dont like the idea of an auction, then dont go.
If you let the fact that you dont like auctions ruin the weekend for you then that is something that youll just have to deal with. People are saying they will not go because there is an auction, so for 2hrs out of a potential 16 - 20hrs you will stay away??
Then stay away! And miss out on Expo #1, i couldnt care less.
Nope - i wont be attending the auction, ill still be in the Expo side chatting to those who have concentrated on the positives of all this and not what they percieve to be a negative...its 2hrs out of a WHOLE weekend for Chrissakes - go and have lunch and come back - will be over before your tears dry

Hmmm, that does make sense Gav.

If the auction is to help keep the costs down for people who have stalls, and make Expo viable, then maybe it is a good thing.

I won't be attending the auction regardless, but at least now there is a valid reason for having it.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 06:09:29 PM »
I'm not going to make my decision until much closer to the date, and the complete information is available. But if it's a couple of hours, so be it, no biggy.

I can see why other pin vendors might not be so keen, but then I suppose it's a balance of cost recovery against making everybody happy.

The last thing I'd want is too much negativity (but fair discussion is a very good thing) as I can't see this repeating if we are all too negative about the proposal for its format.

As Gavin said, lets hold for tomorrow's web site update to get a better feel for what is happening.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 06:31:03 PM »
I'm over all Pinball auctions.  &^&

As i have stated before, auctions and bargain do NOT go together in the same sentence anymore.  !@#

If the auction is needed to pay for the Expo AND its only 2 hours ( which i can't see it being ) then thats fine.

In saying this and doing alot of reading on the expo my focus has changed from it being an Expo to more of a meet and greet/mass gathering/get together.  @@*

I now am more happier to go to Sydney with the Expo as 2nd behind the meet and greet part.

One question

Whats stopping Mark attending the Expo with a list of stock ( pins ) and only having the intention of 'taking orders' ?  %%$  @#%  #@!

( Sorry Mark for using you as an example )
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 07:16:45 PM »
There was another thread that stated that the expo was to be held over 2 days - 9am-5pm on Saturday & 9am-12pm on Sunday, followed by the auction. This contradicts what was stated above. Hopefully the update tomorrow will clear this up.

Matthew

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 08:13:56 PM »
I do agree you Gavin but if most people say no to a auction and you quoted: This money HAS to be recouped and the only realistic way of doing this within the context of pinball, is to have an auction of pins.

No other pins are allowed to be sold because it means that those auctioned may not be sold off and Expo outlays may not be recovered. STOP.

How will any money be made at a auction if a small crew turn up and every pini bids under a reserve price.

Another way of making money for the event like this could be what all the shopping centre's do. I was in one for 10 years and that was that each company selling pins would pay the organiser a % of all pins that are sold, it was called OUT GOINGS all shop owners paid it. And yes I know it wont be cheap to run a event like this but if you are expecting the auction will cover most costs beware!
And Gavin the main reason Im going is to see your stall and other stalls and most of all to see all the other pin freaks like myself. But eg IF markc or Tony from The Pinball Shed (who said he wanted to bring a truck load of cheap do up pins to the event) were allowed to sell pins and one of them twisted my arm or someone's we may have left the expo with a new toy.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 08:21:07 PM »
As just posted under the main Expo page:

Can't put into words how disappointed I am with the negative slant towards this....this should be the greatest chance for pinball to come together - EVER - in Australia and all some people want to do is drag it down.

How about if your not happy with the way the Expo is being set up - just stay away, leave the rest of us to enjoy it and please keep the negative comments to yourself.

Offline Burra749

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 09:55:28 PM »
So your telling me that 12 stall holders @ $500 each = $6000 doesnt cover costs already. *!@

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 10:08:46 PM »
auction or no auction I'm still going.

I'm going to meet the pinheads from this fourum, and to play pinball of course.
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 10:36:42 PM »
So your telling me that 12 stall holders @ $500 each = $6000 doesnt cover costs already. *!@
\

Thats exactly what im saying... wait till you see the promotion for this, this demands big bucks!

So what rules would everyone be happy with?? And then when you asked yourself that - then ask yourself wether you should set something like this up.

Seems to me rules so far that people expect before winging is;

ALL INFO UPFRONT
ANYONE THAT WANTS TO CAN SELL PINS
ANYTHING THAT ORGANISER PLANS TO SELL MUST HAVE FULL HISTORY BEHIND IT SO WE CAN SEE THE EFFORT THEY MADE FOR US
 NO AUCTIONS
ORGANISER MUST NOT MAKE A PROFIT - AT BEST BREAK EVEN OR EXPECT LOSS.
LET THE PINBALL COMMUNITY DICTATE HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE.

Did i miss any??

Offline Burra749

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 10:59:34 PM »
\

Thats exactly what im saying... wait till you see the promotion for this, this demands big bucks!

So what rules would everyone be happy with?? And then when you asked yourself that - then ask yourself wether you should set something like this up.

Seems to me rules so far that people expect before winging is;

ALL INFO UPFRONT
ANYONE THAT WANTS TO CAN SELL PINS
ANYTHING THAT ORGANISER PLANS TO SELL MUST HAVE FULL HISTORY BEHIND IT SO WE CAN SEE THE EFFORT THEY MADE FOR US
 NO AUCTIONS
LET THE PINBALL COMMUNITY DICTATE HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE.

Did i miss any??
NO AUCTIONS
I feel there is plenty of room for an auction....
Why cant all stall holders have stock on the floor to sell over the weekend, then on the Sunday arvo, auction off what didnt sell.

Any orginiser has to make a profit, or cover cost minimum, if not why hold the event.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 11:23:05 PM »
Burra you grabbed this by the nuts.... 100% agreed. Mark goodonya for starting the thread. Alot of guys feel disappointed, they believe this is not what an expo should be.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 11:33:36 PM »
Burra you grabbed this by the nuts.... 100% agreed. Mark goodonya for starting the thread. Alot of guys feel disappointed, they believe this is not what an expo should be.

???? Bizarre!!!

Before Rian came along there WAS NO EXPO!

Ok - i have a suggestion. Why not go along and then tear it apart afterwards with any gripes you have once you actually been there, rather than doing it beforehand