Author Topic: THE PINBALL AUCTION expo  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: THE PINBALL AUCTION expo
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 11:40:51 PM »
Good point Retropin. Everyone jumping the gun and making assumptions.  !@#

So I'll make an assumption too.  :lol I assume while the auction is on, the Expo will still be on in the next hall/room? So for those who aren't interested in the auction they can just stay in the Expo hall. Or is that another false assumption?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:43:53 PM by Creech »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 11:43:30 PM »
I'm no fan of auctions - never have been and never will be. Whether it be Pinballs, Cars or electric blankets.

If I go to Expo, it will be to meet up with the great Pinhead friends that I have got to know "online" and also play some Pinball. Check out Gavin's Stall, talk crap at the dinner function or whatever get organized.. Have a few beers and chill out.

Honestly - I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I get up and make a coffee or check my email when the TV commercials come on, I don't HAVE to sit and watch them.  The TV networks HAVE to make the $$ somehow, so too do the Organizers of the Expo.

I don't see why is it such a big deal. Maybe I should ring Channel 9 and complain about the KFC Ads.. I don't like KFC.

Am I missing something  !@#
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 11:47:36 PM »
Good points Nino, just hope the negative threads will stop as they are throwing a bit of a dampner on what should be a great event.

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 12:00:10 AM »
As just posted under the main Expo page:

Can't put into words how disappointed I am with the negative slant towards this....this should be the greatest chance for pinball to come together - EVER - in Australia and all some people want to do is drag it down.

How about if your not happy with the way the Expo is being set up - just stay away, leave the rest of us to enjoy it and please keep the negative comments to yourself.

Sorry you miss under stood me, I had no intensions of negative comments at all.What I was trying to do is help make the expo a success financilly as well. If I was organising a event as big as this one I would love to here every one's comments early on, especially from all the guys in this forum for idea's and feedback to help run such an event. Like just how many pinball expo's have been in OZ before? At car and boat expos at both you can look and buy all products on display. Sorry If I have offended any one but every one is entitled to there own opinian , good and bad. *%* *.*

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 12:11:32 AM »

I think Tony's comment is a "General Comment" - not directed at anyone in particular. I think everyone has a right to express an opinion on the matter, whether it be positive or negative.  My outlook is positive and there may be a few more people with the same attitude that have not publicly commented - yet. Not sure.

One thing is for sure - While we are discussing the pros and cons of the Expo and the auction, there are a few people in the background working hard to organize the event, and there are others like Gavin, that have hours of work ahead of them for their contributions to the event.

The other comment I would like to make is that if the hard work was not done, and the EXPO didn't happen, then we could make comments like - "Why are all the Good Pinball Expos in the USA" etc..

We have an opportunity to raise the awareness of the Pinball world - After all, we have more Pinballs coming INTO Australia than ever before. So why can't WE make a claim of being one of the BIGGEST Pinball enthusiasts in the world ?

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 12:25:59 AM »
Hey Spurr,

Is all good mate and your suggestions are spot on.

All i can say about Expo is that next years will be different ( Rians words). he is aware of the backlash that an auction brings. But it seems to me that the concept was born with 3 guys involved who are putting $$$ where their mouths are. No doubt the top question was "how we going to make this financially viable"?? and the answer it seems is an auction. That decision has been made.
Next years will be a different affair and no doubt based on what was successful this year and what wasnt.
it will grow, it will develope. This is Expo#1. It is what it is,.....but......it does now exist - something that wasnt alive 3 months back.

The auction may not be popular with the forum guys, but it may well be a huge success with Joe Public who will be a larger contingency at Expo than we will be.

So who do they cater for?? us??? Or reaching out to Joe Blow and getting him involved in the hobby.

If i was thinking of setting up an Expo and wanted to guarantee its financial success and had 30 pins sitting there, then i too would say - OK, ill auction these off for X $$ ea and it will pay its way with enough to expand for next year.

Its up to the organisers to decide how best to guarantee a return on their funds... like i say...next years may well be a different affair, but for this year - those decisions have been made already

Offline Burra749

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 01:03:13 AM »

The auction may not be popular with the forum guys, but it may well be a huge success with Joe Public who will be a larger contingency at Expo than we will be.

So who do they cater for?? us??? Or reaching out to Joe Blow and getting him involved in the hobby.
Bingo,
poor old Joe public walks in not knowing the first thing about pinball machines but has fond memories of playing them as a kid.
Next thing hes paying way too much for a pin through lack of knowledge & getting caught up in the heat of the moment.
Gets it home, plays it for a while, does a bit of research & realises hes payed way too much for it.
This is exactly the type of client Auctions look out for.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 01:08:01 AM »
And yet havent we all sold a pin on Ebay??

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 11:09:37 AM »

Bingo,
poor old Joe public walks in not knowing the first thing about pinball machines but has fond memories of playing them as a kid.
Next thing hes paying way too much for a pin through lack of knowledge & getting caught up in the heat of the moment.
Gets it home, plays it for a while, does a bit of research & realises hes payed way too much for it.
This is exactly the type of client Auctions look out for.

Yes! I have been saying this from the start.........what a great way to introduce new blood, and promote pinball by selling joe public as-is auction overpriced pins.
rant off
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 03:28:38 PM by Sinbad »

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 11:23:58 AM »
How do you know the pins are as-is? Maybe they are 100% working. Ever thought of that, especially since they are coming out of someones own personal collection and not a container.

stuba

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 11:44:16 AM »
nobody will know until the day i guess. like i've already said i just hope its more about expo than auction and it seems that rian had addressed most concerns in his FAQ. if its only 2 hours of auction then it won't be a lot of pins. just enough time for a pub counter lunch nearby. it will be interesting to see the quality of whats on offer (i'm betting they will be on display thorughout the whole weekend, these are probably part of the games you can play given they are from a collection they'll all be in good shape i expect). at any rate it does give everyone a good chance to meet up and enjoy the hobby.

Offline Woka

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 11:54:51 AM »
Hello Boys..

I've never been to a pinball auction so if I get along to the Expo I'll check out the auction.. ;)

Be funny to see the birds and the trees drop in for a bid..

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 03:21:36 PM »
Hello Boys..

I've never been to a pinball auction so if I get along to the Expo I'll check out the auction.. ;)

Be funny to see the birds and the trees drop in for a bid..

Hey woka, so many AA guys here now....better start calling this APAA.
 !#%
lol

Offline Docpinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 03:51:15 PM »
3 points.

1. We (Bumper) have not been told or invited in any way to the event.  It is not as if we are not known.

I would have thought if an expo was on we might have been invited to (a) have a stand or (b) perhaps give a talk(c) at least advised.

2. As many of us have been to pinball expo in the US, they manage very successfully to have an Auction and allow people to sell pinball's separately.  To not allow this smacks of the expo is just an excuse to have an auction with lots of publicity rather than being just a part of the expo.

You cannot tell people to have a stand but censor what they sell. What are we meant to flog for our $500, a few parts that are inoffensive to those wishing to sell there pins without competition.

Surely you could make good money for the expo through vendor stalls, entry fees, hotel accommodation kick backs, merchandise and other means and an auction for those wishing to by from auction.

An expo should be an expo, not a expo minus any opportunity for patrons to buy a pinball unless they go to auction.

An expo must be neutral and independent if it is to have any credibility.

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 05:39:33 PM »
Could you imagine going to a BOAT expo and no stall owner is allowed to sell boats, but only parts. If you want a boat, sorry come to the auction.
If all stall owners were allowed to sell pins if they desired there would be more pins to view and play.