Author Topic: THE PINBALL AUCTION expo  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Ric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: THE PINBALL AUCTION expo
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2009, 09:30:57 AM »
I think this all needs to be taken in an overall perspective.

I will fly my colours straight away by saying I am not a fan of the pinball auction.

However, Rian has decided to plan and host the expo AND more importantly put up the funds to do so.

In doing that he has a perogative to determine the manner in which the expo runs and how he can raise part of these funds and he has determined that an auction is the way to achieve this.

At the end of the day anyone in the pinball community, commercial or private has had ample opportunity to establish an expo over the past few years. No-one has.

Rian has decided to take up the reins and that should be applauded.

As the expo evolves there will be changes.

No-one is ever going to please everyone.

Offline acejas

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »
My concern is the pinball comp. I would like to enter but with the finals AFTER the auction means I have to wait around and might not even have enough time to complete the finals as my plane leaves at 7pm. Lets hope teh auction IS only 2 hours. I may not get into the finals but its still a worry for me.

stuba

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 01:24:27 PM »
My concern is the pinball comp. I would like to enter but with the finals AFTER the auction means I have to wait around and might not even have enough time to complete the finals as my plane leaves at 7pm. Lets hope teh auction IS only 2 hours. I may not get into the finals but its still a worry for me.

you'll be in the finals big fella, on my book i've got you odds on! if you aren't then you owe me a pig.  %$%

the guy has promised a 2 hour auction - at 5 minutes a pin (racing!) then that means there will only be around 20 - 25 pins. He can't promise 2 hours and then front with 70 pins and maintain credibility.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 11:05:36 PM »
Good point Retropin. Everyone jumping the gun and making assumptions.  !@#

So I'll make an assumption too.  :lol I assume while the auction is on, the Expo will still be on in the next hall/room? So for those who aren't interested in the auction they can just stay in the Expo hall. Or is that another false assumption?

I wouldn't assume that - there appears to be a definite break in the program while the auction is on.

But we'll see.

Offline Private Gimp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Mackay, Queensland
  • Fix'n and play'n Pinball
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2009, 12:57:52 AM »
Guys from Newcastle and the Hunter getting upset....What about guys from Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne (especially) Brisbane, Townsville and me in Mackay QLD that are coming down for this event who also have very restricted time, we also can't easily cart stuff back.

I don't mind an Auction being run at the event at all. If it means reducing the cost to run the event then so be it this time around but I suspect it will need to be incorporated permanently to keep and enhance the event for at least a few years in future. Media attention alone is a good thing that a 'unique' auction will generate.
Unfortunately, auction atmosphere is not a party or jovial affair and have an air of "don't touch" or caution restricting the enthusiasts ability to play the machine and get under the bonnet and discuss things with the owner, potential buyers will not disclose their intentions on price either so very few open conversations.
When the auction starts the men are quickly separated from the boys, at least half of the attending people will leave without seeing the end of it as the prices go way higher than mums and dad buyers think..

Running something potentially this size is an expensive proposition for anyone and hats off to those with the balls to try no matter what.
I think that after the auction all sellers of pinball (both not included in the auction and maybe those pins passed in) and accessory outlets should be able to go for it, bit like a flea market or have it at an AA or AP members place, anyone thinking of a post event barbeque??

Just my thoughts.

Cliffy Tucker

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2009, 10:44:54 AM »
Some of us probably need to get over what we think an "expo" should be (me included), and go for the best reasons like meeting other pinheads. I would in no way call this an expo, but its an opportunity for the hobby none-the-less.
 *%*

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 01:01:27 PM »
Some of us probably need to get over what we think an "expo" should be (me included), and go for the best reasons like meeting other pinheads. I would in no way call this an expo, but its an opportunity for the hobby none-the-less.
 *%*

Someone has to pay or the costs of running the Expo. Sponsors and the Auction will assist in this area.

Lets say there is no Auction - Costs will be covered by sponsors and ??  :D So to recoup costs, I assume the organizers would be forced into having an entrance fee. Then there is the possibility of backlash for the entrance fee ?

For the record - I've stated I'm not a fan of Auctions in general, but it is a necessary "Evil" in this case.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2009, 01:34:48 PM »
Lookin fwd to it :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 01:47:13 PM by Sinbad »

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2009, 04:47:19 PM »

You cannot tell people to have a stand but censor what they sell. What are we meant to flog for our $500, a few parts that are inoffensive to those wishing to sell there pins without competition.

Surely you could make good money for the expo through vendor stalls, entry fees, hotel accommodation kick backs, merchandise and other means and an auction for those wishing to by from auction.

An expo should be an expo, not a expo minus any opportunity for patrons to buy a pinball unless they go to auction.

An expo must be neutral and independent if it is to have any credibility.
My thoughts exactly. I am still going and looking forward to The Australian Pinball Meet. "Expo" is the wrong title for this event IMO. See you all there.....cant wait to see your stall Gav.

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 06:49:38 PM »
 *%*

Amen to that Sinbad !  ^^^ I have done a complete 360 on this topic.  #@#

cant wait to see your stall Gav.

And a BIG Amen to that too !  $#$
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 08:49:29 PM »
 *%*

Someone has to pay or the costs of running the Expo. Sponsors and the Auction will assist in this area.

Lets say there is no Auction - Costs will be covered by sponsors and ??  :D So to recoup costs, I assume the organizers would be forced into having an entrance fee. Then there is the possibility of backlash for the entrance fee ?

For the record - I've stated I'm not a fan of Auctions in general, but it is a necessary "Evil" in this case.

Um, there is an entrance fee.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2009, 09:22:32 PM »
 *%*

Um, there is an entrance fee.

OK - An increased Entrance Fee !

A substantially increased Entrance Fee that would have had people asking questions like ;

"There must be other ways to cover the costs.. Maybe an Auction"

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
guess we have done this discussion to death........and its funny how people seem less riled-up about it
 :tumble: issue now

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2009, 12:07:31 AM »
I think the bottom line is that if you want to go then there will be a pinball auction Sunday afternoon whether you like it or not. There is no sign of that changing. Frankly, I don't care either way.

With 100 pins there I suspect it will at times be difficult to get on one, but I suppose that allows more time for talking. It will be interesting to see how many enter the pinball competition, which I guess will be played on machines set aside for that purpose.

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2009, 06:26:59 PM »
LOL>..I know one guy that is up to his armpits with machines to fix up before the expo that are to be in the auction....he had to send some back he had so many to fix..lol...

But look how can I complain???Im not running the thing...If it turns out to be rubbish so be it...but will probably be a fun day...Im with Tony...no point whinging about it..lets go there and have fun...we are not the ones taking the risk and putting the money up for it all..all we need to do is turn up...
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ