Author Topic: Internal battle, when do you decide to splash out on a new playfield  (Read 168 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Hi guys, I would like to hear your opinion please.

Recently I got $800 as a small inheritance from a Uncle who died from cancer. I want to spend the money on something keep sake - pinball related I am thinking.

I have a WH20 that has the usual playfield damage which I paid close to $3k for the whole pinball when the prices were a little higher. I was toying with the idea of a new plafield as I already have a set of cabinet decals. But then thinking if I do a new playfield and decals then you almost have to do a new set of ramps (as a few have cracks) and then a new set of boulders / mountains as missing the smallest pop bumper boulder a few cracks here and there. The machine would look smick but at $4.6k total spend, mmmmm ????

The reason for the playfield is that he lived in Colarado most of his life in the Rockies so thought the playfield was symbolic in a way.

All of a sudden the bill jumps up to $1600 and just wondering - should I? As want to keep for a while but just do not know if it is the best decision.

Why do you think?
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Personally, I would only consider it for a machine that was a lifetime keeper.

Because of the potential emotional attachment you may find it difficult to move the machine on later anyway.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Personally, I would only consider it for a machine that was a lifetime keeper.

Because of the potential emotional attachment you may find it difficult to move the machine on later anyway.

Yup - I buy new playfields for keepers regardless of their condition. If CPR remake a particular title, or have that title in the pipeworks, then I look for a worn game as a donor.

Sounds like you are going to keep the game, and there is the connection with your Uncle. I would buy a playfield for that game.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline punter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
If a new playfield gets made for any of the machines i have i will buy one.I have a Paragon with a playfied i would rate a 9 in very nice nick but CPR are doing a new one for this in the future and if they make them i say buy them.Your machine will look great if you want to put the cash into it and its a keeper,just like new.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
I would also ask myself the question, "Will I install it?"
Swapping over a playfield is a big task, add to that replacing the cabinet art

Are you up for it?