Author Topic: New Board - Data East/Stern Magnet board Guns-N-Roses etc Test Jig info  (Read 351 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
One new board that we have been working on for a while now is the magnet board used in Guns N Roses and a couple of other games including the much newer Stern Indiana Jones. The Homepin board incorporates all of the latest Stern changes and also the addition of the cap across the clock line as dicovered by a pinball enthusiast. The biggest problem we had was 'how to test the asembled boards?'

In the end I made some coil formers and wound three very heavy coils similar to those used under the playfield of Guns N Roses. Some custom software written to a PIC and I had the basics for a test jig. The problem testing this board (without a machine to plug it into) is that the board requires not only one of three coil activate signals but also clear and clock signals at the exact times to operate correctly and there really is no way of fully testing this board without those.

The PIC solves this by providing the signals exactly when they are needed. It sounds quick and easy but to write - debug - test - debug again - test - debug even further took several hours to have a fully functional test jig. I usually chop the appropriate section of 'ready made' PCB from a finished project/job as that makes breadbording much easier (the blue PCB in the pics).

I bolted the coils to a couple of pieces of ply I had laying about and screwed the other bits to that.

Here is the messy result:

Here is a finished 'test board':

and the test jig in action here:

Now that we are able to correctly test these boards we can start construction of them but finished boards probably won't be available until the new year now.

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Love your work.  I had to replace a magnet board that was missing recently and they were not cheap to get one from Stern. 
Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Another great product Mike ! Well done  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
if it is the same board that is used in a DE LAH I would be happy to test one out for you in a LAH I have.
Of course I will send it back because I don't need one but I am sure it will get lost in the mail on its return trip  :lol
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
if it is the same board that is used in a DE LAH I would be happy to test one out for you in a LAH I have.
Of course I will send it back because I don't need one but I am sure it will get lost in the mail on its return trip  :lol

Yes, this board is used in D.E. Guns N Roses, D.E. Last Action Hero & the much newer Stern Indiana Jones.

Sorry Beaky but I haven't assembled any other than the test board you can see in the pics/vids so you're outta luck there  <.> <.>
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals