Author Topic: E.M.s arn't that hard to work on after all  (Read 683 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
E.M.s arn't that hard to work on after all
« on: January 05, 2012, 03:07:28 AM »
Up until recently I hated the thought of trying to repair E.M's but after last week end that has changed.

A friend of mine has a GTB drop a card and a WMS hot tip (E.M) and both were doing all weird and wonderful things including blowing fuses and coils locking on.

Last time I was up at his place I tried to repair the drop a card and after spending most of the day not getting any where i gave up.
In between the last time I was there and last weekend I had a quick flick through marvin's E.M. repair guide (but if you read the first few paragraphs it tells you not to do this but to read all of it properly)

I pulled down all the steppers, score reels and so on, cleaned and gapped everything as per the guide and only lubing what parts the guide said to lube with the correct lube, and after spending a full long day on each, hey presto they both work perfectly first time I turned them on.  $#$

Apparently both have not been operational for at least 10 years. Fortunately there wasn't anything that was worn beyond use which made things easier.

Pretty much every moving part was coated in grease which had gone nearly rock hard which accounted for 95% of the problems.

one of them even had a lamp with an internal short which was causing one of the fuses to blow.

I have turned away quite a few E.M. rebuilds in the last few month but won't be doing so again. All of them have been E.M.s that have not worked for years.

I don't class my self as an E.M. expert but the next email of phone call I get from some one asking me "do you repair / rebuild E.M.s and if not do you know some one on the gold coast who does" my answer will be different.  :lol
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: E.M.s arn't that hard to work on after all
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 03:59:06 AM »
Well done!!!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:36:24 AM »
Ah .. so you have found the secret .  *%* Good one  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline arcadoz

• Forum Posts:
  • Country SA
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 09:57:23 AM »
Biggest problem is overlubrication. I've seen machines with a tub of vaseline smeared over everything including one with all the coil armatures.
Vaseline is a no-no, it WILL go hard.
Well done.
EM score motors wanted- nonworking, broken, burnt, etc..

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 10:12:19 AM »
Good on you Andy, and welcome to the world of EMs.  Now you will just have to work out which EM(s) to add to your collection!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 10:45:16 AM »
much prefer an EM over SS to work on any day... once you get your head around their operation it CAN be pretty straight forward...

... welcome to the club mate!!  ^^^ ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 10:49:20 AM »
Nice work Andy
               Ems are great to work on best advice i can give is dont take any shortcuts make sure you do the whole machine all steppers etc and it will be good for years if you only fix what you have to there will be more dramas sooner than later.   ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 11:11:14 AM »
Good stuff Andy !

EMs are a lot more "logical" than SS machines. Once you master the schematics, you can fix any problem. After years of understanding schematics, you build up experience and confidence. EMs ARE simple to fix and great fun to restore.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 11:35:20 AM »
Thanks guys.

The bloke that owns the 2 E.Ms. has been trying to sell them for a while, but now that they are working he no longer wants to sell them.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 12:24:05 PM »
Thanks guys.

The bloke that owns the 2 E.Ms. has been trying to sell them for a while, but now that they are working he no longer wants to sell them.

:lol  I wonder why not  %.%
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 12:56:03 PM »
Hot Tip...... im assuming the one in Laidley? I emailed and offered $350... he NEARLY came down to my price!

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 03:12:54 PM »
Hot Tip...... im assuming the one in Laidley? I emailed and offered $350... he NEARLY came down to my price!
*%*  #@#

If I had known who was making the offer I would have left it alone.

And yes he was thinking seriously about letting it go for that much

all it needed was to remove all the gunk from the steppers and replace the faulty lamp which was blowing the fuse.

mind you when he bought it came with cigarette packet foil around the fuses and he was told the previous owner spent months trying to get it going and gave up.

It  does have a some wear at the top of the playfield but the drop a card has a near perfect playfield 

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 04:19:06 PM »
Well done Beaky, I've been slowly popping my EM cherry too over the last few weeks with a Gottlieb Kingpin, and while I still have to fuddle through things, I am starting to see the simple, pure logic of these things, and really appreciating what went into them.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 06:51:21 PM »
Well done Beaky, I've been slowly popping my EM cherry too over the last few weeks with a Gottlieb Kingpin, and while I still have to fuddle through things, I am starting to see the simple, pure logic of these things, and really appreciating what went into them.
well done mate.
I must admit there would have been a lot of thought put into some of the later EM's. There is not a lot of difference between the features on the later EM's and pre multiball ss's.
I was impressed with the way the end of ball bonus scoring is kept and some of the steppers operate.

one thing i am finding a bit difficult to get used to is when you turn the machine off mid game to adjust a contact on the playfield and turn it back on the game just continues on from where it was before you tuned it off.

there was a couple of times when i tried to get rid of all the credits on the credit wheel by starting a 4 player game and turning the machine on and off so I could press the start button again to put up another 4 credits and so on. but of course it doesn't work that way.  @.@

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 07:32:28 PM »
Good stuff another EM tech you have to be careful not to zap yourself don't you that's what I here anyways

Peter