Author Topic: What's the attraction with Facebook?  (Read 3363 times)

Offline elkor-alish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
What's the attraction with Facebook?
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:28:42 PM »
I don't really get the attraction with Facebook and Twitter.
I don't really understand my obsession with pinball either but that's completly different.

The whole getting online to check your Facebook page at inappropriate times etc.
I've had a look at it and it all seems a bit silly to me.
Am I missing something?
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
Re: What's the attraction with Facebook?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:49:37 PM »
I like facebook,it put me in contact last year with my 17 year old daughter who i hadnt seen since she was 2years old and there was nothing her mother or her family could do to stop it,now it looks like i will be a grandfather this year and because of facebook i will get to see pictures of my grandson a lot quicker than i would have if it didnt exist.for me it's been a great thing.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:13:32 PM »
My wife signed me up and i keep in contact with many old friends from UK.. some of whom have moved to LA, Israel, Malasia, Amsterdam and one moved to Sydney... is good to keep in contact... lots of pictures of me back in my punk days that i didnt have.
But am i constantly updating my profile to say "gavin is shopping, or having coffee etc"... certainly not, got more important things to do like answering posts on AP regarding FB!!!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:23:26 PM »
Facebook is great for catching up with old friends or friends over seas.  Its also good to find out when people are not home or on holidays so you can go rob them..  My wife set up mine i log on once in a blue moon and the crap you get bombarded with gives me the shits so i log off again.

Im forever getting texts from people asking what im doing in certain place to find out that the wife has (Not sure what its called) told everyone we are at the movies or some shit like that.   Cant go anywhere without the world knowing.

And the answer to your question your not missing anything facebook just sucks

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 02:33:36 PM »
Facebook is a facade and an excuse to sit at home on ya bum instead of meet and mingle with friends etc. Great examples of the positive aspect - catching up with friends you have not seen or heard from for years. But people didn't have facebook 10 years ago, and they still were able to "catch up".

I've missed out on a few "gatherings" because I'm not on Facebook. That's a social issue which I see is a big problem in the future. Generation "Z" is around the corner. A lot more Tech Savvy, but they will expect high paid jobs because of this and expect everything served on a plate for them. I work in a school environment and it amazes me how stupid teachers are these days. They see Facebook as a "teaching aid" - But this creates MORE trouble than it is worth. The increase of cyber bullying is MASSIVE, and guess who has to "control" that ? IT people like me. I'm sick of seeing kids turn into potatoes - perched in front of their laptops in a virtual world. Take away their online access and they have no idea what to do with themselves. Kids should be outdoors enjoying the sunshine and each other's company. Not sitting behind a computer typing trash and acting tough !

Facebook's social impact has been a VERY negative on the younger generation. Smart phones and internet access are creating an anti social generation.

The attraction of Facebook is an extension of a game that was out years ago - "The Sims" - that's where we are heading.

I wonder if people are aware that once they post pictures etc on Facebook - it is there forever ? So that provocative picture in the mirror with duck lips and fake tan will be linked to you in 5 years time, when you have outgrown facebook and you are looking for a job ?

Two years ago - as an IT person, I was asked "Why aren't you on Facebook ?". A year later, those same people ask me "How do I get off Facebook" ?

It is a fad - a phase that people go through. It is the damage that will be there forever that is the problem - and it will still be there when they are long gone off Facebook.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Marty Machine

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 04:38:59 PM »
This is a T-shirt design i came up with around a year ago, a big seller indeedy.  ;-)

UCKWI

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 04:55:36 PM »
Brilliant...I want one!!!
how muchy!
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »
Ill tell ya what, its a businesses dream way of advertising, utilizing facebook in your business is a must these days, the single best free way to advertise your business, when people use the check feature on facebook to check in to our shop its gets hundreds of free exposure just from one person doing that. its rediculas how much extra business we have got from going onto facebook, its worth promoting you have it also. as if one person likes your page, and they have hundreds of freinds it shows up on all their statuses, i post something like our opening times over the school holidays it really gets spread around, and updates on products we have in and what not, man its brilliant if you are not utilizing facebook with your small biz its like not having a website, and you work the two together. its brilliant for small biz, we have really big burgers, people take photos of them put it on their facebook showing how big this burger was they got from our shop, and bingo more exposure, its a marketing dream, it give you stats on how many people on Fb are talking about your company, how many hits you have, how many likes, how many check ins and where they are from who talk,like or check in to your page, its great

ps you have to remember people set their smart phones to check into a shop automatically, this give huge amount of exposure, right now my biz facebook acount says 34 people have checked into our shop in the last day, thats 34 people who have done me a shit load of free advertising
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:10:55 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 05:15:37 PM »
Well summed up Nino.

Never joined and never will.  
SC.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 05:20:52 PM »
This is a T-shirt design i came up with around a year ago, a big seller indeedy.  ;-)

UCKWI

love it  *)*

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 05:21:35 PM »
Well summed up Nino.

Never joined and never will.  

+1

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 06:13:49 PM »

UCKWI

When will you be printing these ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Marty Machine

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 06:24:27 PM »
Facebook's social impact has been a VERY negative on the younger generation. Smart phones and internet access are creating an anti social generation.
NOTHING smart about a phone, nor is the person glued to it all day long.

I've been dabbling with some writings the past 2-3 years and getting closer to putting together a book ("The Rise & Rise of Anti-Social Networking"), that highlights the de-evolution of society.
It's beyond ironic that "social networking" is nothing more than "anti-social networking" and heavily controls the empty vessels that are glued to their phones & PC's 24/7 to 'connect' with eachother.

Humanity has peaked, we're now on the downhill side of life as we knew it.
Now you understand what your parents meant when they ALWAYS said something like "i remember the good ol' days"...

Two years ago - as an IT person, I was asked "Why aren't you on Facebook ?".
Because you have a LIFE !  :lol

MM.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 06:24:39 PM »
Please print some more, that's the best Tshirt design I have seen in ages!
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Marty Machine

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 06:25:19 PM »

UCKWI

When will you be printing these ?

I should get around to another run soon, they seem to be in demand again ;-)

MM.