Author Topic: FLASH flash lamps stoped working  (Read 738 times)

Offline PinPal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
FLASH flash lamps stoped working
« on: January 09, 2012, 01:07:17 AM »
Had a game on my Williams Flash tonight and found the flash lamps have stoped working.
Replaced both globes and still nothing, does not work in test or game over mode.

There is a junction box next to the flash globes and there is a resistor there that I think has gone bad.
Last time I played Flash there was a faint buzzing noise each time the lamps would energize under the PF.

Eney thoughts on what I should look for ?

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: FLASH flash lamps stoped working
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 11:09:35 AM »
If be checking that resistor with a multi meter.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 12:05:03 PM »

from memory, the resistor is there to provide a low amount of current to keep the filament in the bulbs warm. If the resistor is open, then it will be the problem. Sounds like it might be the driver board - this lamp is not part of the lamp matrix (from memory). Do you have schematics ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline PinPal

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:54:28 PM »
I have a copy of the Flash Manuel, it says the Flash lamps are on the same circuit as the solenoids GRY - Blu  (Q25). So I have a feeling its either the resistor or the transistor on the driver board.
I will test both with the MM.

Offline PinPal

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »
Need a bit of help here folks,,,

I checked the resistor next to the flash lamps and found I get no reading and think this has gone bad.  I need to no what to replace this with as its the old dog bone type resistor.
What is the equivalent ?
Checked the transistor on the driver board that controls the flash lamp and that is ok.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »
I believe its a 330 ohm 2 watt resistor .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:11:53 AM »
Just use a 5 watt resistor , you could get one from jaycar

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 12:14:50 PM »
Just use a 5 watt resistor , you could get one from jaycar

What Ken said - and it's also less likely to go open circuit again as you will have upgraded the rating.

330R 5W - Jaycar part number RR3286 - $0.40

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=RR3286&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=968#1
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline PinPal

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 12:37:40 PM »
Thanks for the info ^^^  , I went to Jaycar yesterday and got a couple of the 330ohm 5 Watt  Resistors and sum for spares. Got a couple of spare TIP 122 transistors to, just as well I did as I found two of the TIP 122 on the driver board where close to snapping off so I replaced them.
Checkd them with the MM and all is good so will see what happens when I boot it back up.

Offline PinPal

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 03:32:26 PM »
Ok,  replaced the 330 ohm 5w resistor and still not working  !@#   checked the driver transistor and that is ok,
If anyone can take a pick of the Flash globe junction wiring where the resistors are under the PF and post it to this thread Ide be most grateful.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 03:39:59 AM »
I know its a sill question but are the lamps ok?
have you tested with the diagnostics?

if you have and it still doesn't work Use your Multi Meter to test if you have +28V DC on the red wire to the flash lamps (connect the - wire from the MM to a ground braid)

If you have +24V DC on the red at the lamps then use a wire with an alligator clip on one or both ends and connect one end to the metal brackets that hold the PCB's or an earth braid and with the other end touch it on and then remove it (no more than a second ) to the metal tab on top of Q25. This will send a Ground pulse to the flash lamps. If the lamps flash when you do this then you have a fault on the board, it could be anything from a bad solder joint to a faulty transistor or I.C.

If it does not flash when you do this and the bulbs are ok and you have +28V dc on the red at the flash lamps then there is a problem in the wiring or a bad solder joint or a faulty plug where the wire for the flash lamp connects to the driver board.

WARNING: THERE ARE HIGH VOLTAGES IN THE MACHINE UNDER THE PLAYFIELD AND IN THE BACK BOX THAT CAN KILL, DO NOT ATTEMPT THE ABOVE TESTS UNLESS YOU ARE 100% SURE YOU KNOW WHERE THE HIGH VOLTAGES ARE. IF YOU ARE UNSURE GET SOME HELP FROM SOME ONE WHO KNOWS WHERE THEY ARE.

No offence is meant by the above warning, it is just there to make people aware of the dangers.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline PinPal

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 01:59:39 PM »
Thank-you  for the info   ^^^        Yes I am  well aware of high voltages on pinballs. Its strange, I replace both resistors next to the flash lamps, checked the globes.  And even checked the driver transistor on the driver board and found nothing. I will check the voltages going to the flash lamps.

Offline PinPal

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 08:40:18 PM »
My Williams Flash has a number of faults that have got me stumped latly  !@#    First I was trying to rectify a fault with the flash lamps as they stoped working.
I replaced the component that had gone bad but now the flash lamps still don't work and I have mysterious coil problems.
When I turn Flash on it goes in to Game Over mode, when I start a game the left sling coil energizes and stays on till I switch the game off.

And to top that off I don't have eney power going to the flippers but the fuses on the power board and under the PF checked out ok.
I have a feeling there is a problem with the power board  !@#

Thought there was sum fault in the driver board as well so I ordered a reconditioned System 3-6 driver board from the US.
I installed this and found I still have the same problem   ^&^

Why is it when one thing goes haywire other things go down with it ??  !@#

I got Rod from The Pinball People over next week to sus Flash out for me  so I hope he can fix it.

I should leave things alone   ^.^

www.pinballpeople.com.au
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:14:07 AM by PinPal »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 08:52:36 PM »
Sorry to hear you are still having problems . Nothing worse than when you end up with multiple faults . Good luck with it
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline PinPal

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 11:48:19 AM »
#*# #*#  Williams  Flash is Finlay fixed,, no more bugs  $#$      Rob Brooks was over yesterday trying to sought out my Williams Flash. I had a sling coil locked on only when you start up a game and not when you turn the game on.
Had no flippers, locked on coil and no Flash lamps.
Was a strange problem, what ever we did it didn't change anything.
I had an idea if I was to re seat all the socketed chips and Eproms on the CPU would that change anything,,  BINGO !!   $#$  no locked on coils, flipper working and flash lamps to.
Before this I had even got a reconditioned driver board and that didn't change anything.
FLASH 100%  #*#

Pick is the resistors I changed next to the flash lamps as one had gone bad before all this problem and now are working beautifly.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:38:11 PM by PinPal »