Aussie Pinball Forums > Restorations

T2 diamond coat/mylar

(1/4) > >>

pinball god:
Haven't played or really had a good look at my T2 for 12 months or so until yesterday.

I've been thinking of getting really into some hard core resto stuff with maybe an old clunker or something. Well while carefully looking at my T2 and I have noticed the mylar is lifting, bubbling throughout the playfield. Hmmmm do I try it on the T2 me thinks??

Anyway, what is diamond coating? Is it like clear coating and the mylar I'm seeing is put on after by an operator? Will removing the mylar damage the playfield seeing there is no wear at all at present? If the mylar is something other than the diamond coating, will the insert lettering lift off with the mylar (re MartyJ)? If I go ahead, which is best, the hot or cold or goo gone method? I'd hate to get into it and disappoint myself with poor workmanship etc

Need your thoughts before tackling the project. The machine is pretty nice but the mylar is definitely shot IMO with some dirty edging, and various areas of lifting. Where the mylar seems to be is in areas where little dismantling is required IMO.

I also do not intend clear coating once removed as I don't think it'll get played that much to warrant the time and expense.

pinball god:
BTW will any photos help in formulating your opinions?

MartyJ:
Howdee,

AFAIK diamond coat is a clear coat.

I'm interested that yours also has had mylar put down.  In theory, your insert decals should have been screen printed on under the clear.  Certainly mylar removal (which has gone down over clear) should be a lot easier as long as its done correctly.

If its an aftermarket decal kit, then there is a risk that they may come up.  Having said that, when I removed the mylar after my 1st decal kit, only 2 lifted.

If you can remove the mylar with the diamond coat in tact, the playfield should come up like new!

pinball god:
My exact thoughts, the playfield should be MINT if no stuff ups occur. The decals are original so if what you're saying is right, they should be fine???

When you said "if done correctly", what do you mean? Is there a right way and by the sounds of it a wrong way which no doubt will send tears to my eyes. I know if I don't ask I'll 100% do it the wrong way

MartyJ:

--- Quote from: pinball god on February 11, 2009, 03:19:24 PM ---My exact thoughts, the playfield should be MINT if no stuff ups occur. The decals are original so if what you're saying is right, they should be fine???

When you said "if done correctly", what do you mean? Is there a right way and by the sounds of it a wrong way which no doubt will send tears to my eyes. I know if I don't ask I'll 100% do it the wrong way

--- End quote ---

Nino or one of the other guys should be a able to confirm this if I'm right..
Either way, mylar removal should be done very slowly and carefully, either by the freeze method or heat gun.  I've only done it with the heat gun and had no major problems, although I wont do either on my Police Force for fear of removing decals.  But also I'm not doing it as it doesn't need it.

Post a couple of pics to help.  Is it full pf mylar or only around pop bumpers and slings?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version