Author Topic: T2 diamond coat/mylar  (Read 1144 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re: T2 diamond coat/mylar
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 11:33:19 PM »
Marty,

I have seen them, but can't really justify $120 or so by the time it gets over from the states (i can't find any local distributors).

I have an old Flash that i was going to experiment on, and then move to the JP.

Today in autobarn when i was getting the carnuba wax i saw a polishing attachment for a drill that was a 3-4" sphere made of red bits of foam - apparently they're meant to be really good but at $66 they would want to be!

I know almost nothing about polishing/waxing/buffing and someone feel free to correct me, but is it the rotational speed of the buffing pad that helps the end result a lot?  If so, a lot of these products could be made at home for next to nothing by going to Clark Rubber or a foam shop and buying some off cuts and cutting them to attach to a disc that is on the end of a high speed drill..... The reason i say this is i saw on the treasure cove product page that you need a high speed drill to get the best shine.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 11:40:20 PM »

I dunno about power tools on a playfield. This has been mentioned before. I just can't bring myself to do it.

When you use your hands, you can "feel" the playfield and what's going on underneath.

Mylar removal is a "case by case" decision. I've sweated over a few and even had a few coldies beforehand to muster the courage !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 12:19:03 AM »

I dunno about power tools on a playfield. This has been mentioned before. I just can't bring myself to do it.

When you use your hands, you can "feel" the playfield and what's going on underneath.

Mylar removal is a "case by case" decision. I've sweated over a few and even had a few coldies beforehand to muster the courage !

I KNEW someone would make the power tools comment! It does just seem risky, doesn't it.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 12:01:14 PM »
I guess when it comes to mylar removal, you need to make a decision of whether its cosmetic vs playability and do a risk assessment.

For me, with my T2 it was affecting game play and being diamond coated there is a level of protection from lifting paint / decals.  PinballGod, hopefully yours was put down by a keen operator to redue wear.  The first lot I took off, I did very carefully with a hair dryer (heat gun bought since).  A LOT of glue residue was left, but I did it very carefully and slowly.

The second lot of mylar (which I installed) - newer vinyl, came off extremely easy and left virtually no glue (was a lot thinner than previous stuff).

My Police Force - overall the mylar is not too bad, although some minor bubbles over inserts.  I've read about using a syringe to inject clear into it, then flatten.  If I can test this method on a dead playfield with mylar I'll give it a shot.  I've read too many horror stories about mylar removal on late 80's Williams machines (ie F14, Police Force, Taxi etc).  Also, I don't believe a decal set is available either. 

I can point you in the right direction for insert decals.  I've had bad ones and good ones (latest certainly the best I've had).

thanks Marty may take you up on the offer
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:31:28 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium